Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa board
Bookmark and Share
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
Tulsa board
http://tulsa.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=11...e=2&Reset=

Those guys are in meltdown mode. Some of the fans have been pretty poor sports about things.
12-05-2010 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Tulsa board
(12-05-2010 09:58 PM)insideualr Wrote:  http://tulsa.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=11...e=2&Reset=

Those guys are in meltdown mode. Some of the fans have been pretty poor sports about things.

Who the hell do they think they are? Hey, they ain't Duke no matter what Scotto calls them. They lost to another midmajor on the road. Suck it up a-holes. Your coach is doing a fine job from what I can tell. This won't be the last game you lose this year, although I suspect you'll win quite a few.
12-05-2010 10:22 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
I've seen the light.
12-05-2010 11:01 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

A rational response to your post on their board, DI
(12-05-2010 10:22 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-05-2010 09:58 PM)insideualr Wrote:  http://tulsa.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=11...e=2&Reset=

Who the hell do they think they are? Hey, they ain't Duke no matter what Scotto calls them. They lost to another midmajor on the road. Suck it up a-holes. Your coach is doing a fine job from what I can tell. This won't be the last game you lose this year, although I suspect you'll win quite a few.

"None of the other 3 are even NIT-level teams. With all due respect, I think you've got a well-coached team and Shields will get the most out of them, but there's not much talent there."

Poster was referring to our wins over SMU, Ill State, and LaTech that DI listed on their board. I'll take them. The poster is probably right in saying that we don't have the talent that Tulsa and the other top teams in ConUSA have (i.e. Memphis, UTEP). I think we have Sun Belt level talent, although we are certainly not the most talented team in the league. I think we have coaches that will get the most out of the talent we have, and players who will dive, scrap, and claw for every rebound and loose ball. That combination is going to get us quite a few wins this season.
12-05-2010 11:03 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: A rational response to your post on their board, DI
(12-05-2010 11:03 PM)mjs Wrote:  Poster was referring to our wins over SMU, Ill State, and LaTech that DI listed on their board. I'll take them. The poster is probably right in saying that we don't have the talent that Tulsa and the other top teams in ConUSA have (i.e. Memphis, UTEP). I think we have Sun Belt level talent, although we are certainly not the most talented team in the league. I think we have coaches that will get the most out of the talent we have, and players who will dive, scrap, and claw for every rebound and loose ball. That combination is going to get us quite a few wins this season.

You've never heard me disagree with that statement. Shields does always get the best out of what talent he has, with the exception of our offense. I don't think you'll find very many people that will say that he can effectively coach offensive basketball. His limitations have been the inabilitity to recruit basketball players that are skilled enough to win the conference. Do I offer proof of this? Just seven years of never even getting to the finals.

I've never questioned Steve's heart or his work ethic. He's does the best he can. He just can't get the quality of players it takes to win this league, and he can't get the basketball fans in this area excited enough to even get the Jack half full. Yesterday he certainly outcoached Tulsa. They had better basketball players, talent wise.
12-06-2010 12:08 PM
Advertisement

DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
The follow-up remarks from places like Ill.State, LaTech, SMU etc is a clear indication that our program is not respected. Their fans are convinced that it is a total shame to lose to UALR. Part of it has to do with our hyphenated name that we apparently are stuck with for eternity. Another reason is that for too many years the program has been mired in pure mediocrity, no commitment to be a champion. No one will ever convince me that Little Rock/Central Arkansas cannot have or does not deserve a high quality College Basketball Program. The will and commitment has to be there.
12-06-2010 12:54 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 12:54 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  The follow-up remarks from places like Ill.State, LaTech, SMU etc is a clear indication that our program is not respected. Their fans are convinced that it is a total shame to lose to UALR. Part of it has to do with our hyphenated name that we apparently are stuck with for eternity. Another reason is that for too many years the program has been mired in pure mediocrity, no commitment to be a champion. No one will ever convince me that Little Rock/Central Arkansas cannot have or does not deserve a high quality College Basketball Program. The will and commitment has to be there.

Commitment, generally means money. I think Chris is committed and has done an amazing job raising cash in tough economic times. However, we really don't have the commitment of the majority of citizens, business leaders, media, etc. I don't think UALR can ever really become a big time program (even on the midmajor level) until the business leaders, movers and shakers, etc. in this community really get behind UALR. It was hard not to laugh when the Demozette was recently announced as a "game sponsor". We don't need your freaking money, how about a game day article?
12-06-2010 01:01 PM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
The past 18 years I have been self employed working from an office at home. Prior to that I worked 32 years for an Atlanta based company that had virtually no interest in anything local. I have never been the owner or manager of a large firm. If I was and needed advertising, promotion etc I know for sure I would want my company name associated with a winner, whatever the type organization it may be, not a loser, not an also ran. I would want my company name to be part of a group where there was excitment, lots of young people having fun and for the most part where there was a positive environment and expectation of success.
12-06-2010 02:32 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 12:08 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(12-05-2010 11:03 PM)mjs Wrote:  Poster was referring to our wins over SMU, Ill State, and LaTech that DI listed on their board. I'll take them. The poster is probably right in saying that we don't have the talent that Tulsa and the other top teams in ConUSA have (i.e. Memphis, UTEP). I think we have Sun Belt level talent, although we are certainly not the most talented team in the league. I think we have coaches that will get the most out of the talent we have, and players who will dive, scrap, and claw for every rebound and loose ball. That combination is going to get us quite a few wins this season.

You've never heard me disagree with that statement. Shields does always get the best out of what talent he has, with the exception of our offense. I don't think you'll find very many people that will say that he can effectively coach offensive basketball. His limitations have been the inabilitity to recruit basketball players that are skilled enough to win the conference. Do I offer proof of this? Just seven years of never even getting to the finals.

I've never questioned Steve's heart or his work ethic. He's does the best he can. He just can't get the quality of players it takes to win this league, and he can't get the basketball fans in this area excited enough to even get the Jack half full. Yesterday he certainly outcoached Tulsa. They had better basketball players, talent wise.

Okay, we can agree that Steve is a good coach that gets the most out of the talent he has. I know nothing about coaching basketball, so I can't really say how good an offense of coach he is- but I'll give you that one since I sometimes wonder what we're trying to do on offense. So it really comes down to recruiting (talent makes any offense look better). Can another coach bring better talent here- maybe, maybe not. While there's no doubt that Jim Platt brought in a lot of talent, there was certainly some luck involved. He was lucky that Derek Fisher was from LR and had no other good offers. He was lucky that Muntrelle Dobbins got pissed at UNO after he committed there. He was lucky that Barry Sanderson's brother was an assistant at Colorado and was able to steer Joe Stephens here. Mike Newell certainly brought in some talented players- but that was 25 years ago. There was no internet. If there were recruiting services, I never heard of them. TV exposure for the bigger programs was nothing like what it is today. Mike didn't give a hoot about academics or the character of his players and neither did his AD (of course that was him also). Anyway, you seem sure another coach could bring better players to Little Rock. I'm just not so sure. Certainly not the high character kids we seem to have now. I know you've said we need to take some "chances", but I also know you don't want "thugs" on our team.
12-06-2010 02:42 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 02:42 PM)mjs Wrote:  Anyway, you seem sure another coach could bring better players to Little Rock. I'm just not so sure. Certainly not the high character kids we seem to have now. I know you've said we need to take some "chances", but I also know you don't want "thugs" on our team.

No, I'm not sure of much of anything. It would depend on the individual you hired. It can be done. But you can't hire that kind of coach by sitting in your office and automatically giving the job to the assistant every time you've got a job opening. You've got to shop around I know that some of you guys wouldn't want a coaching change if Steve robbed a bank, nothing is going to change your minds. I am a Trojan fan, and evidently you are Shields fans. I like Steve too, but I like winning big better.

I personally don't care who the coach is, or if he knows who I am. Just win, and build this program. Get the attendance up, and I'd love to see an actual "full house" in my lifetime, which is getting shorter by the year. As someone pointed out recently, there are over 300 D-1 programs out there, and there is a good young assistant that can recruit and coach that wants an opportunity to get started and move on up. There's a basketball Gus Malzahn out there somewhere just itching to come to Little Rock.
12-06-2010 03:47 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 03:47 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(12-06-2010 02:42 PM)mjs Wrote:  Anyway, you seem sure another coach could bring better players to Little Rock. I'm just not so sure. Certainly not the high character kids we seem to have now. I know you've said we need to take some "chances", but I also know you don't want "thugs" on our team.

No, I'm not sure of much of anything. It would depend on the individual you hired. It can be done. But you can't hire that kind of coach by sitting in your office and automatically giving the job to the assistant every time you've got a job opening. You've got to shop around I know that some of you guys wouldn't want a coaching change if Steve robbed a bank, nothing is going to change your minds. I am a Trojan fan, and evidently you are Shields fans. I like Steve too, but I like winning big better.

I personally don't care who the coach is, or if he knows who I am. Just win, and build this program. Get the attendance up, and I'd love to see an actual "full house" in my lifetime, which is getting shorter by the year. As someone pointed out recently, there are over 300 D-1 programs out there, and there is a good young assistant that can recruit and coach that wants an opportunity to get started and move on up. There's a basketball Gus Malzahn out there somewhere just itching to come to Little Rock.

A basketball Gus Malzahn. I like that Trojan!04-cheers
12-06-2010 04:44 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes, I like Steve. But my argument last year had nothing to do with Steve personally. It was my opinion all along that we would not fire a coach who had 2 straignt 20 wins seasons (for the first time at UALR in 20 years) after one bad year. Just wasn't going to happen. At the end of this season I will likely still believe Steve is a good coach. However, if we have another losing season I'll view your calls for his firing as much more justified. No, I won't be holding up "Fire Shields" signs, but if Chris chooses to go in that direction I could certainly live with it (although I'd sure miss seeing Will Neighbour in a UALR uniform).
12-06-2010 05:09 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 01:01 PM)mjs Wrote:  Commitment, generally means money. I think Chris is committed and has done an amazing job raising cash in tough economic times. However, we really don't have the commitment of the majority of citizens, business leaders, media, etc. I don't think UALR can ever really become a big time program (even on the midmajor level) until the business leaders, movers and shakers, etc. in this community really get behind UALR. It was hard not to laugh when the Demozette was recently announced as a "game sponsor". We don't need your freaking money, how about a game day article?

I agree that Chris Peterson is a very good AD, and Trojan fans should forever be beholding to him for his getting Mr. Jack Stephens involved in the program, but I have no idea what he has done pertaining to getting the local city leaders, business leaders, and movers and shakers involved in the program. Does the mayor or city manager come to games? I know Chris can't handcuff and bring them to the games, but there should be someone in the city that can get them involved. The main thing that bothers me is the newspaper, it's weak sports editor(and he's supposed to be an alum), and the local TV stations. I realize that Chris can't do it all, and it looks like the chancellor and perhaps the system president could make a few calls or visits with these "local leaders".

My only problem with Chris wanting a winner here is, he's put up with mediocrity for eight years. I don't know many other schools that would allow a coach to hang around eight years and not produce a championship, and have this many empty seats. He's made a statement that said something about getting to post season was a necessity. The only post season this program has seen has been watching the post season on TV and letting the air out of the balls in March.

I liked your statement about the Democrap being a game sponsor. It's a joke isn't it? They will pay for a sponsorship for a game, but won't give up a little space for each pregame article, postgame article and box score.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2010 05:12 PM by LRTrojan.)
12-06-2010 05:12 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(12-06-2010 05:12 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  I don't know many other schools that would allow a coach to hang around eight years and not produce a championship, and have this many empty seats.

I suspect part of the reason is that most of them would love to have (only) our number of empty seats.
12-06-2010 05:27 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 12:54 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  The follow-up remarks from places like Ill.State, LaTech, SMU etc is a clear indication that our program is not respected. Their fans are convinced that it is a total shame to lose to UALR. Part of it has to do with our hyphenated name that we apparently are stuck with for eternity. Another reason is that for too many years the program has been mired in pure mediocrity, no commitment to be a champion. No one will ever convince me that Little Rock/Central Arkansas cannot have or does not deserve a high quality College Basketball Program. The will and commitment has to be there.

I certainly believe that our program isn't respected, and yes you are right that other programs fans don't respect our program, and losing to them is probably an embarrassment. MO Valley team fans don't have any respect for our program that's for sure.
12-06-2010 05:30 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 05:30 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I certainly believe that our program isn't respected, and yes you are right that other programs fans don't respect our program, and losing to them is probably an embarrassment. MO Valley team fans don't have any respect for our program that's for sure.

Well in the last few years we've beaten Southern Illiniois, Creighton, and Illiniois State, all upper echelon MoValley programs. I guess we just need to send them the box scores.
12-06-2010 05:45 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2010 05:45 PM)mjs Wrote:  Well in the last few years we've beaten Southern Illiniois, Creighton, and Illiniois State, all upper echelon MoValley programs. I guess we just need to send them the box scores.

I guess we could, and while we're at it, send in the box scores for many of the games we've lost against some of the teams that also aren't respected. Surely you don't think this basketball program is respected on a national level. Probably not highly respected in the Sun Belt. Sure, we've had a few good wins, and some bad losses. Some coaches from respected mid-major programs lose their coaches to bigger and better program.

As far as beating MO Valley teams, we should be able to compete with them if we want to call ourselves a good mid-major program. At the same time we've taken a few brutal ass kickings from MO State.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2010 06:08 PM by LRTrojan.)
12-06-2010 06:00 PM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-06-2010 04:44 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

A basketball Gus Malzahn. I like that Trojan!04-cheers

So you DO understand the thinking at stAte after all . . .

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=467701

04-cheers
12-06-2010 06:28 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(12-06-2010 05:45 PM)mjs Wrote:  Well in the last few years we've beaten Southern Illiniois, Creighton, and Illiniois State, all upper echelon MoValley programs. I guess we just need to send them the box scores.

People have short memories. We have done reasonably well against the MVC, but for some reason, Mo State has our number.
12-06-2010 06:59 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
The Dallas Cowboys fired head coach Wade Phillips and elevated OC Jason Garrett to that post and the Cowboys have done quite well ever since. Makes you wonder what could have been if Jerry had pulled the trigger a little sooner.
12-09-2010 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.