Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulsa's achilles heel?
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Tulsa's achilles heel?
They do not defend the 3 particularly well. If we got hot from the perimeter. . . Oh well, I can hope.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2010 05:29 PM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
12-03-2010 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Tulsa's achilles heel?
(12-03-2010 05:29 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  They do not defend the 3 particularly well. If we got hot from the perimeter. . . Oh well, I can hope.

I don't think they handle a press real well. We need to press all, or most, of the game. Hitting a few threes wouldn't hurt our chances either.
12-03-2010 06:45 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

In the two games they lost (UNLV and App St), the opponent shot 53% for the game overall, and 47% and 57% from the arc. Whether that was because their defense went to sleep or the opponents were just hot, I don't know.

Against Northridge they looked like their big guys were pretty good, and that ain't good for us.

They shoot the 3 well, but don't defend it well. Maybe this is the game Matt breaks out.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 08:43 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
12-04-2010 08:38 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(12-04-2010 08:38 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Whether that was because their defense went to sleep or the opponents were just hot, I don't know.

That's the rub with defensive stats. It's like proving a negative. Just because one opponent shot 30% and a different opponent shot 50% doesn't mean our defense was any better or worse, its just that the second team had a higher percentage - for whatever reason.
12-04-2010 08:57 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2010 08:57 AM)Scotto Wrote:  
(12-04-2010 08:38 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Whether that was because their defense went to sleep or the opponents were just hot, I don't know.

That's the rub with defensive stats. It's like proving a negative. Just because one opponent shot 30% and a different opponent shot 50% doesn't mean our defense was any better or worse, its just that the second team had a higher percentage - for whatever reason.

Absolutely. You can be playing lousy perimeter defense, but the other team can't throw it in the ocean that night, and it looks like you've really played well. On the other hand, you play the same way, and a team is hitting every shot, and your stats look horrible. Only stats that probably count are the points you score and the final score of the game.
Win, you did well. Lose, you didn't. I don't believe in moral victories.04-rock
12-04-2010 11:38 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(12-04-2010 11:38 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Absolutely. You can be playing lousy perimeter defense, but the other team can't throw it in the ocean that night, and it looks like you've really played well. On the other hand, you play the same way, and a team is hitting every shot, and your stats look horrible. Only stats that probably count are the points you score and the final score of the game.

In one or two games, true. But over time the stats will tell the tale. And Tulsa's perimeter defense is not outstanding.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 11:41 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
12-04-2010 11:41 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-04-2010 11:41 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(12-04-2010 11:38 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Absolutely. You can be playing lousy perimeter defense, but the other team can't throw it in the ocean that night, and it looks like you've really played well. On the other hand, you play the same way, and a team is hitting every shot, and your stats look horrible. Only stats that probably count are the points you score and the final score of the game.

In one or two games, true. But over time the stats will tell the tale. And Tulsa's perimeter defense is not outstanding.

Neither is our ability to get our shooters open or get them the ball when they are.03-banghead
12-04-2010 11:43 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(12-04-2010 11:43 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  Neither is our ability to get our shooters open or get them the ball when they are.03-banghead

Nor our ability to score or defend inside. That is I say we will do well to stay within 20 points. Tulsa is pretty good.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 11:56 AM by MICHAELSPAPPY.)
12-04-2010 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.