Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not a flame, but what is the chance that Tulane drops FB within 5 years?
Bookmark and Share
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Not a flame, but what is the chance that Tulane drops FB within 5 years?
I hope those chances are slim. They are (?) building an on-campus stadium but I know it's tough on them (and Rice and UAB) witht he lack of fan support.

Once again, I am just asking... and "yes", ECU basketball can be picked on for now. Lebo will get us where we can be more competitive in the years to come.
11-29-2010 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Not a flame, but what is the chance that Tulane drops FB within 5 years?
First I've heard of an on-campus stadium. I thought they had neither the money nor the space.
11-29-2010 09:40 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I found this online and I remember a few TU fans talking about it a while back:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/201...s_foo.html

It would be awesome to play a game at TU in a new Tulane Stadium, located in or near the Garden District.
11-29-2010 09:47 PM
Pelican Power Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulane, AAC
Well, I do not think you would discuss an on-campus stadium and have the AD priortize raising money for the project along with recently adding millions to your FB budget if you were going to dissolve the program. Note the school just revived its marching band investing serious dollars for the music credits, a director and uniforms. Note: Tulane's administration has already had its moment of hell from its community when the President questioned the financing of a Division 1 FB team in 2003.

Even Katrina could not eliminate TU Football. The question is not about TU FB survival, the question is how much will the adminstration truly commit to have the program WIN! That has been the huge debate over the last year at Tulane as pressure as been mounting for the administrators to demonstrate not a commitment to play, but a commitment to win and win consistently. The recent commitment (and success) from SMU was very helpful towards adding the pressure on the TU decision makers.
11-29-2010 11:18 PM
Blazer14172 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Within the next 5 years, I feel confident that UAB and Tulane will both be playing on campus.
11-29-2010 11:38 PM
NavyCrimson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SMU
Agree about the on-campus stadiums - especially Tulane. There's a lot of $$$ in both alumni groups that can make things happen & it should.
11-30-2010 09:50 AM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
The OP's question is a serious one, and at various times since Katrina I have wondered myself if Tulane Div.-I athletics could truly survive on a long-term basis.

But right now, I think the worst has passed, and it is pretty much guaranteed that Tulane will be an all-sports member of C-USA five years from now, and for many years after that.
11-30-2010 09:59 AM
get.the.fork Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tulane & Saints
We will be here long after ECU has dropped athletics. Does that answer your flame bait question?
11-30-2010 10:03 AM
HellBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB!
(11-29-2010 11:38 PM)Blazer14172 Wrote:  Within the next 5 years, I feel confident that UAB and Tulane will both be playing on campus.

In the the Southern Conference
11-30-2010 10:44 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(11-29-2010 09:09 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I hope those chances are slim. They are (?) building an on-campus stadium but I know it's tough on them (and Rice and UAB) witht he lack of fan support.

Once again, I am just asking... and "yes", ECU basketball can be picked on for now. Lebo will get us where we can be more competitive in the years to come.

Your ignorant to our finances. You obviously are looking at some win /loss records and have no clue about our billion dollar endowment. Football has been played at tulane before your school was a junior college. Not a flame just truth. Although we have had our challenges lately. Take a guess why? We have a number seven ranking in the last 12 yrs. What is your highest ranking? In short we will be playing football for another 100 yrs. It may not be with your team and this conference. But we will be playing. And yes the conference we will be in will be a conference that puts importance on a full academic athletic experience. That is a conference that doesn't have 3rd and 4th tier schools. TCU is a good example of where we will be in not to long from here.
11-30-2010 10:57 AM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
(11-30-2010 10:57 AM)pablowow Wrote:  And yes the conference we will be in will be a conference that puts importance on a full academic athletic experience. That is a conference that doesn't have 3rd and 4th tier schools. TCU is a good example of where we will be in not to long from here.

LOL.
11-30-2010 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(11-30-2010 10:57 AM)pablowow Wrote:  And yes the conference we will be in will be a conference that puts importance on a full academic athletic experience. That is a conference that doesn't have 3rd and 4th tier schools. TCU is a good example of where we will be in not to long from here.

There is so much wrong with this statement, but let's start with the obvious.

Schools that are in the Big East:

West Virginia
Louisville
South Florida

And if you were referring to the Mtn West:

Colorado State
New Mexico
Wyoming
UNLV
11-30-2010 11:27 AM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Tulane's immediate plan is to field a successful football program. Steps have been taken by the administration to acheive that goal. How deep that commitment reaches is still a question. There is an ongoing effort to continue to raise funds to build an on-campus facility. They are within $25 million of making an official announcement. They want money in-hand before the announcement is made. They fully intend to be a loyal member of CUSA now and in the near future. No one knows what the future holds as far as conference realeignment is concerned.
11-30-2010 11:40 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
That is all fine. I can assure you that academics are important with conference expansion. They are not the complete factor. But as you can see with the big east TCU and UCF are more attractive than Memphis and ECU and it is not because of their total success. Market is a factor as well as support. Which ECU and MEMPHIS have. But the full package for an established conference is the desire. Tulane has underachiever lately on the field. We are very attractive for all of the other factors.SMU will be in the same conference as Tulane for what we share in common. Those are my opinions which are no more stupid than the TITLE of this stupid thread! And yes it was a flame thread. The big east and the MWC are not the models we will end up in. In my opinion. ACC has more in common with our school.
11-30-2010 12:34 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(11-30-2010 10:57 AM)pablowow Wrote:  
(11-29-2010 09:09 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I hope those chances are slim. They are (?) building an on-campus stadium but I know it's tough on them (and Rice and UAB) witht he lack of fan support.

Your ignorant to our finances. You obviously are looking at some win /loss records and have no clue about our billion dollar endowment. Football has been played at tulane before your school was a junior college. Not a flame just truth. Although we have had our challenges lately. Take a guess why? We have a number seven ranking in the last 12 yrs. What is your highest ranking? In short we will be playing football for another 100 yrs. It may not be with your team and this conference. But we will be playing. And yes the conference we will be in will be a conference that puts importance on a full academic athletic experience. That is a conference that doesn't have 3rd and 4th tier schools. TCU is a good example of where we will be in not to long from here.

Your billion dollar endowment is meaningless in this context. There is no way Tulane takes even a dollar of principal from that to put towards any athletic venture. And even the likelihood of redirecting any of the interest earnings seems very, very unlikely given the reductions that have gone on at Tulane post-Katrina (e.g. reducing enrollment).
11-30-2010 12:57 PM
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Actually, enrollment has bounced back and exceeds pre-Katrina numbers. The current freshmen class is the largest in school history, and next year promises to be similar. Some of the endowment funds has already been shifted to the athletic department for the upcoming fiscal year. But as I said before, we still don't know how deep this new commitment to athletics by the administration will go.
11-30-2010 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Black Bart Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates of ECU
Wow, someone is sensitive! Your own administration that brought it up a few years ago. Sheesh! 04-cheers
11-30-2010 03:49 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(11-30-2010 10:44 AM)HellBlazer Wrote:  
(11-29-2010 11:38 PM)Blazer14172 Wrote:  Within the next 5 years, I feel confident that UAB and Tulane will both be playing on campus.

In the the Southern Conference

Tulane maybe. UAB isn't a private school and that's all the SoCon wants these days.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2010 03:54 PM by catdaddy_2402.)
11-30-2010 03:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(11-30-2010 03:49 PM)Black Bart Wrote:  Wow, someone is sensitive! Your own administration that brought it up a few years ago. Sheesh! 04-cheers

What post are you replying to?
11-30-2010 04:38 PM
Black Bart Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates of ECU
Not yours. get.the.fork and pablowow.
11-30-2010 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.