11-29-2010 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
RE: TCU to Big East
another program that's watering down big east basketball. once again, college football screws everyone else over.
11-29-2010 02:10 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-29-2010 02:10 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  another program that's watering down big east basketball. once again, college football screws everyone else over.

I don't see how having one good football team would ruin basketball for the entire conference.
11-29-2010 02:20 PM
Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I don't think there are any Big East football schools (save possibly Syracuse) complaining about this move. Everyone knows that football brings in the money.

I personally love the deal, and I'm now waiting on the next school to be invited. I'm going with beginning in 2014 the Big East is 12 schools, with UCF, SMU, and Villanova (moving up to FBS) coming into the fold.
11-29-2010 02:26 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(11-29-2010 02:20 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(11-29-2010 02:10 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  another program that's watering down big east basketball. once again, college football screws everyone else over.

I don't see how having one good football team would ruin basketball for the entire conference.

it's not just one. the big east has become bloated. instead of dropping a crappy program like depaul, the BE will probably add another mediocre school to balance it out. further watering down basketball. just like the ACC did with va tech and miami
11-29-2010 02:55 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-29-2010 02:26 PM)mlb Wrote:  I don't think there are any Big East football schools (save possibly Syracuse) complaining about this move. Everyone knows that football brings in the money.

I personally love the deal, and I'm now waiting on the next school to be invited. I'm going with beginning in 2014 the Big East is 12 schools, with UCF, SMU, and Villanova (moving up to FBS) coming into the fold.

A 20-team basketball conference?
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(11-29-2010 02:26 PM)mlb Wrote:  I don't think there are any Big East football schools (save possibly Syracuse) complaining about this move. Everyone knows that football brings in the money.

difference is, i'm a st. johns fan. so i could care less about football.
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
The Big East. The Microsoft of College Athletics.
11-29-2010 03:27 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-29-2010 02:55 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  difference is, i'm a st. johns fan. so i could care less about football.

That is great... you also have been terrible for a decade in your only revenue sport. UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Rutgers all pull as good of ratings or better than your school in your home town.

Sorry, the Big East has to improve it's football or it goes away.

On a sidenote, I'd be hoping for a Big East TV Network to come around in the next few years or you will find yourself on the outside looking in. If a BE TV network isn't going to be profitable enough to create, then you will see the football schools split off, IMO.
11-29-2010 03:34 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-29-2010 02:55 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

A 20-team basketball conference?

If a BE Network is created, I'd suspect two 10 team divisions... maybe only playing a couple of teams from the other division. Otherwise, I don't see it lasting and I see the football schools breaking off.
11-29-2010 03:35 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
IMO, if the Big East wants to be known firstly as a basketball conference, they should lose their automatic bid to the BCS...if we're to keep that stupid system. Other non-BCS conferences do take their football seriously.
11-29-2010 04:14 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-29-2010 04:14 PM)Rebel Wrote:  IMO, if the Big East wants to be known firstly as a basketball conference, they should lose their automatic bid to the BCS...if we're to keep that stupid system. Other non-BCS conferences do take their football seriously.

Obviously that isn't the case... otherwise TCU would not have been invited today.
11-29-2010 04:31 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
My thing is, where is the homogeny? TCU, in Ft. Worth, to the Big East? Colorado to the Pacific 10? Nebraska to the Big 10? the C-USA with a team in El Paso and another all the way up in BFE West Virginia? Conferences used to be homogeneous.
11-29-2010 04:48 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(11-29-2010 04:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  My thing is, where is the homogeny? TCU, in Ft. Worth, to the Big East? Colorado to the Pacific 10? Nebraska to the Big 10? the C-USA with a team in El Paso and another all the way up in BFE West Virginia? Conferences used to be homogeneous.

And that has been a far more successful model than the spread out ones.
11-29-2010 05:23 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
The Big East commissioner isn't disguising this as anything other than a way to secure more money. I like the honesty.
11-29-2010 05:39 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(11-29-2010 02:10 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  another program that's watering down big east basketball.
Since when has BEast basketball been watered down?

According to my recollection, The BEast has won 6 early season tournaments, been runner up in 2 other tourneys, and currently has nearly half the conference still undefeated. Overall, The BEast conference is currently 75-18, which is an 80% winning percentage over all 16 teams (including 1-4 DePaul). No other basketball conference can claim anything similar...

I think BEast basketball can accommodate TCU without any problem what so ever...
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2010 10:24 PM by bitcruncher.)
11-29-2010 10:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(11-29-2010 04:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  My thing is, where is the homogeny? TCU, in Ft. Worth, to the Big East? Colorado to the Pacific 10? Nebraska to the Big 10? the C-USA with a team in El Paso and another all the way up in BFE West Virginia? Conferences used to be homogeneous.

TV and BCS... instead of being together as regional institutions, they get together to get more money. It is what it is...
11-30-2010 09:55 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(11-29-2010 03:34 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(11-29-2010 02:55 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  difference is, i'm a st. johns fan. so i could care less about football.

That is great... you also have been terrible for a decade in your only revenue sport. UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Rutgers all pull as good of ratings or better than your school in your home town.

On a sidenote, I'd be hoping for a Big East TV Network to come around in the next few years or you will find yourself on the outside looking in. If a BE TV network isn't going to be profitable enough to create, then you will see the football schools split off, IMO.

all i have to say is, #3 recruiting class in the nation for 2011. watch out
11-30-2010 01:35 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(11-30-2010 01:35 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Who?
11-30-2010 01:40 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(11-30-2010 01:40 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(11-30-2010 01:35 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Who?

st. johns. http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-...ssrankings
11-30-2010 04:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.