Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SNY
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
SNY
Roman Oben and Don McPherson are discussing expansion on SNY right now. McPherson is hating on TCU and says we need to open our pocketbook and get BC and Maryland and ND in the Big East. Oben says TCU and UCF make sense.
11-06-2010 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: SNY
McPherson is an idiot if he said that NO amount of money will get BC back or ND to come into the league.
11-06-2010 02:58 PM
krux Offline
Banned

Oh and they both thought Temple should be in and that Villanova wasn't a good option though Oben liked them a little more than McPherson.
11-06-2010 02:59 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-06-2010 02:52 PM)krux Wrote:  Roman Oben and Don McPherson are discussing expansion on SNY right now. McPherson is hating on TCU and says we need to open our pocketbook and get BC and Maryland and ND in the Big East. Oben says TCU and UCF make sense.

McPherson is just trying to start controversy so people will talk about him so ignore him. I would rather have TCU and ECU or TCU and Houston but TCU and UCF would definitely suffice.
11-06-2010 02:59 PM
Advertisement

krux Offline
Banned

Yeah he had good points but they weren't realistic.
11-06-2010 03:00 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
It's frustrating when media people take a good topic an go overboard for attention. We're not getting Maryland and BC especially after the new deal that they signed, so just discuss realistic options at this point.
11-06-2010 03:05 PM
saxamoophone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(11-06-2010 02:52 PM)krux Wrote:  Roman Oben and Don McPherson are discussing expansion on SNY right now. McPherson is hating on TCU and says we need to open our pocketbook and get BC and Maryland and ND in the Big East. Oben says TCU and UCF make sense.

lol, how do you "open the pocketbooks" though? Say what you will about the ACC but they are in a greater position of Strength than the Bigeast.

Why would ND pick the bigeast and not the Big Ten?

I guess you could do the Texas-style conference with in-equal pay...but still...I just don't see it.
11-06-2010 03:11 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
The only reason i can think of as to why ND would chose the BE over the B10, is so they could play games in the northeast where they have a large fan base.
11-06-2010 03:39 PM
rabid-eer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WVU
Notre Dame would not be able to compete for Big Ten titles against Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and the rest. They are comfortable with the non-football sports in the Big East (basketball has developed into a perennial NCAA team since joining. They would also have an easier path to a title, BCS games on the horizon and in addition to keeping all the NBC money, they will get a share of the conference money, too. Irish fans will tell you it is about tradition, and when they were winning, maybe it was..... but they haven't fielded a competitive team nationally for over a decade.... the alums are getting more restless about that than remaining single. You know, when a beautiful woman constantly scorns the advances of worthy suitors in search of "Mr. Right"... more often than not that woman turns into a bitter old hag who can't get the company of many when she's not so beautiful and out of shape.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2010 10:52 PM by rabid-eer.)
11-08-2010 10:51 PM
UCFL Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
He had some good things to say about TCU and UCF. The media world is very receptive to adding those schools - which can only help the Big East's football reputation right now. It was stupid of him to keep talking about BC and Maryland - While I understand they would be the best options, they are happy where they are at.
11-08-2010 10:54 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-08-2010 10:51 PM)rabid-eer Wrote:  Irish fans will tell you it is about tradition, and when they were winning, maybe it was..... but they haven't fielded a competitive team nationally for over a decade.... the alums are getting more restless about that than remaining single.

Do you know any Domers at all?! This is absolutely 1000% wrong.

If you go to NDNation, which is the largest ND message board, EVERY SINGLE link to a news article or column that suggests ND should join a conference (such as the recent Andy Staples' SI piece that was discussed here) gets taken down immediately. I'm serious. They don't even want to bother discussing it amongst themselves within the ND community because it's such a non-starter. You'd have an easier time getting them to discuss how the school should become Protestant. There is no single issue that gets ND alums more p**sed off than talking about how they shouldn't be independent. They see absolutely no correlation between them winning and having to join a conference at all.
11-08-2010 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rabid-eer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WVU
Tank - it's clear you're passionate about this issue - we'll just agree to disagree. I know what I know, and will leave it at that.
11-08-2010 11:16 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-08-2010 11:16 PM)rabid-eer Wrote:  Tank - it's clear you're passionate about this issue - we'll just agree to disagree. I know what I know, and will leave it at that.

Hate to say this but he's got ya beat on this one. Ask any diehard Irish fan (alum or non-alum alike) or any Irish alum if the Domers should join a conference. The reaction will range from an emphatic but polite NO like TerryD around these parts to near crippling anger. The only way that stance changes is if there were a new rule requiring conference membership and even then there'd be a vocal minority who'd rather just shut the whole program down instead.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2010 12:24 AM by brista21.)
11-09-2010 12:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.