Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Villanova upgrade a 50--50 at best
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
Villanova move-up 50-50?
Update from the Villanova board

Many of the news stories coming out indicate that the Big East wants an answer by the end of the year. There are many ways this can play out:

- Villanova says yes, moves up by 2014
- Villanova says no, ending any chance of a move up
- Villanova says yes, but not until 2015 or beyond

At this point, I'm expecting the third option to be their answer. I think Villanova is finally on board with the idea of FBS football, but they might need more time to raise the necessary money to move up.
11-05-2010 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
RE: Villanova move-up 50-50?
"Dear Villanova Alumni,

I wanted to update you on some recent happenings at the Big East Conference regarding its FBS football program. As you may recall, the Big East Commissioner paid a visit to Villanova in early September and reported that the members were interested in adding Villanova as a football member of the conference.

Earlier this week at our bi-annual conference meeting, the Big East presidents officially approved a process to evaluate terms and conditions for expansion in order to enhance membership stability and to assure our competitive position for the future. Because of this, there has been increased media interest, and therefore you may once again hear rumors and speculation as to possible plans and expansion strategies for the conference as well as how it impacts Villanova's decision.

I want to assure you that this announcement in no way affects the Board and my commitment to the process or our in-depth and thorough evaluation of this opportunity. We are continuing on our exploratory path--looking at all possible scenarios and working diligently to compile the necessary information in order to make a thoughtful, informed decision.

In the coming weeks, we will be reaching out to you, as it is important that we engage our entire community. This is a major decision for Villanova--with many pros and cons--and throughout the process we are dedicated to being as open and transparent as possible.

As I shared with you in September, a decision will be made only after we conduct a careful and complete analysis and weigh all the options. We expect this assessment to conclude by early spring 2011. Regardless of the timeframe, we will do what's right for Villanova, and you can be confident that whatever decision we make will fully support our community-wide commitment to the University's strategic objectives.

Sincerely,

Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A.
President"

Unless he means "early Spring semester," early Spring clearly means late March or early April. In any event, I thought Nova had until December to decide . . .
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 03:50 PM by CougarRed.)
11-05-2010 03:47 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
Villanova upgrade a 50--50 at best
Villanova upgrade a 50-50 at best

http://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?...00&style=2
11-05-2010 04:51 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
RE: Villanova upgrade a 50--50 at best
Good. Can we hope the odds tilt more in favor of no FB upgrade? One can hope.
11-05-2010 05:38 PM
papablastter Offline
2nd String

I Root For: cuse!
now there vote is gona be in spring 11? if thats the case i would have to addume that they are team 11-12 BE not gonna wait that long i hope
11-05-2010 05:57 PM
Villecard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Well, it's obvious that VU won't be in the duo that the BE will take to 10. The BE has said they want to know by the end of the year. Early spring 2011 isn't even close to that. I don't see the BE announcing going to 10, only to wait 5 more months. It would seem to me that VU would be trying to do everything in their power to make the move if they truly wanted to do it.
11-05-2010 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Villecard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Villanova move-up 50-50?
I thought they were doing a complete analysis????
11-05-2010 07:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Let's hope they don't make the move and stay in FCS. At that point, BE can talk to Temple or other teams formally without VU's staying in the way.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010 07:10 PM by SF Husky.)
11-05-2010 07:10 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(11-05-2010 07:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Let's hope they don't make the move and stay in FCS. At that point, BE can talk to Temple or other teams formally without VU's staying in the way.

I've said this before, but who cares what they think? If the rest of the BE wants us in, then vote us in. The BE doesnt need every single member to say yes. Nova doesn't have near that much power.
11-05-2010 07:19 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Temple is ready to go, their football has increased greatly. That's why I want to add TCU, Houston and Temple. With Houston and Temple you have to very good young coaches and with TCU you have a quality veteran coach. Of course the 12th team will likely be Central Florida who looks pretty freaking good this year for the most part.
11-05-2010 09:15 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
if the BE takes Temple, then WVU can't hire Golden when we finally give Gomer the boot

rather have that coach than the school
11-05-2010 10:58 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I don't know but the speculation before hand was after Labor Day, then December and now the President says by early Spring. If the early speculation was true during August then it seems like Nova is delaying its decision. I'm guessing that they're going to say no.
11-05-2010 11:15 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-05-2010 07:04 PM)Villecard Wrote:  Well, it's obvious that VU won't be in the duo that the BE will take to 10. The BE has said they want to know by the end of the year. Early spring 2011 isn't even close to that. I don't see the BE announcing going to 10, only to wait 5 more months. It would seem to me that VU would be trying to do everything in their power to make the move if they truly wanted to do it.

Did you see what the Big Ten did last year? It made an expansion announcement in December, got TV networks, blogs and message boards talking about it for 6 months straight to the point where it dominated the conversation at the NCAA Tournament, and then only made a move in June mostly because it was pushed to do so with all of the Pac-10/Big 12 dealings. The entire process effectively educated the public about how much the Big Ten Network makes, why AAU membership is important to the conference, why the Big Ten's fan bases are so strong, get people to realize how powerful the Big Ten is off-the-field when fans are just used to slobbering over SEC football on-the-field, etc.

The Big East wants some of that same type of free press for a few months, too. So, I'd be shocked if the BE would make any type of announcement before the basketball season is over and it probably won't come until next summer. It's too late to add anyone for the 2011 season, so the conference is better off waiting to get deals into place as close to June 30 as it can. There's absolutely nothing strange about Villanova waiting until the spring - better to have them take the time to make the right decision because no one else would be adding until May or June, anyway.
11-05-2010 11:22 PM
Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(11-05-2010 11:15 PM)animus Wrote:  I don't know but the speculation before hand was after Labor Day, then December and now the President says by early Spring. If the early speculation was true during August then it seems like Nova is delaying its decision. I'm guessing that they're going to say no.

Looks like winning the Powerball lottery is taking longer than Villanova had hoped.
11-05-2010 11:25 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(11-05-2010 10:58 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  if the BE takes Temple, then WVU can't hire Golden when we finally give Gomer the boot

No way man Rutgers called him first! 04-cheers
11-05-2010 11:25 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(11-05-2010 10:58 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  if the BE takes Temple, then WVU can't hire Golden when we finally give Gomer the boot

And we'd rather you stop lighting couches on fire. Btw, Golden would never in a million years go to WVU. It's Penn State, Notre Dame, maybe one or two more schools, or he stays here for life.
11-06-2010 01:28 AM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(11-06-2010 01:28 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  

And we'd rather you stop lighting couches on fire. Btw, Golden would never in a million years go to WVU. It's Penn State, Notre Dame, maybe one or two more schools, or he stays here for life.

Life in Philly at Temple. 03-puke 03-puke 03-puke :python: 05-deadhorse :microwave: :spam: 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
11-06-2010 04:47 AM
Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(11-05-2010 11:22 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-05-2010 07:04 PM)Villecard Wrote:  Well, it's obvious that VU won't be in the duo that the BE will take to 10. The BE has said they want to know by the end of the year. Early spring 2011 isn't even close to that. I don't see the BE announcing going to 10, only to wait 5 more months. It would seem to me that VU would be trying to do everything in their power to make the move if they truly wanted to do it.

Did you see what the Big Ten did last year? It made an expansion announcement in December, got TV networks, blogs and message boards talking about it for 6 months straight to the point where it dominated the conversation at the NCAA Tournament, and then only made a move in June mostly because it was pushed to do so with all of the Pac-10/Big 12 dealings. The entire process effectively educated the public about how much the Big Ten Network makes, why AAU membership is important to the conference, why the Big Ten's fan bases are so strong, get people to realize how powerful the Big Ten is off-the-field when fans are just used to slobbering over SEC football on-the-field, etc.

The Big East wants some of that same type of free press for a few months, too. So, I'd be shocked if the BE would make any type of announcement before the basketball season is over and it probably won't come until next summer. It's too late to add anyone for the 2011 season, so the conference is better off waiting to get deals into place as close to June 30 as it can. There's absolutely nothing strange about Villanova waiting until the spring - better to have them take the time to make the right decision because no one else would be adding until May or June, anyway.

Don't you hate being the voice of reason, Frank? Is anyone listening. They seem to much more enjoy throwing stones.
11-06-2010 07:28 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

I think thats pretty telling.

As many noted last week...Nova couldn't even move up to a BCS level till 2014...and with the Big East's desire to move to 10 football teams (as soon as possible...i.e. 2012), most didn't think Nova was a part of that 10 team inclusion.

This press release just re-affirms that position...as this provides the opening that teams like TCU, UCF, Memphis, ECU, etc...have been waiting for.

Should be a fun next few weeks/months...as I think the Big East will announce their 2 new teams to get to 10 by end of Dec...to help those new programs get at least 1 month of BCS recruiting in before signing day (won't help them much this year) but about a 18 month advance notice on their transition (to July 1, 2012 Big East membership).
11-06-2010 08:34 AM
papablastter Offline
2nd String

I Root For: cuse!
(11-05-2010 07:19 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(11-05-2010 07:10 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Let's hope they don't make the move and stay in FCS. At that point, BE can talk to Temple or other teams formally without VU's staying in the way.

I've said this before, but who cares what they think? If the rest of the BE wants us in, then vote us in. The BE doesnt need every single member to say yes. Nova doesn't have near that much power.

i cant picture temple ever being in the BE again unless we kick nova outa be or split and wantt temple as all sports with the foottball side. As far as Nova i would love for them to bump up as long as they are team 11/12. add tcu/ucf and when you redo the tv deal in 2012 might be easier to aid nova
11-06-2010 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.