Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I feel dirty
Bookmark and Share
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
I feel dirty
We did not have a good choice for U.S. Senate but I voted for Kirk anyways. At least he would not be a lap dog for Durbin and Obama. I feel dirty. When Obama ran, did not place a vote for Senator.
11-02-2010 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
RE: I feel dirty
I could not squeeze my nose hard enough to vote for Kirk, so I voted for What's-His-Name from the Libertarian party, in spite of his pusilanimous stand on foreign policy.

If Kirk wins, we are stuck with that rino for six years. On the other hand, with Genoolyus's ties to the mob, if he wins, he will probably be the next Illinois politician to be fitted for an orange jumpsuit.
11-02-2010 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUshelbs Offline
Water Engineer

Illinois needs to move their primary to later in the year. Like July. There was not enough time for a TEA party candidate to run against Kirk.
11-02-2010 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I don't think a Tea Party candidate would do well. To be a republican senator and win in Illinois you need to be a bit more moderate and less, well, extremist.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2010 09:42 AM by niuguy.)
11-02-2010 09:27 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Shelbs.. a tea party candidate would fail miserably in Illinois. It's hard enough for a moderate republican to get elected here.
11-02-2010 09:50 AM
HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!
(11-02-2010 09:50 AM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Shelbs.. a tea party candidate would fail miserably in Illinois. It's hard enough for a moderate republican to get elected here.

It's hard, but I've got a feeling it's going to get done today. All of the closing polls were close, but I've got to think Kirk is going to edge Giannoulias.

How do you guys feel about the race for Governor?
11-02-2010 10:01 AM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Kirk could definitely win, but he's made a point of telling everyone how moderate he is every 5 seconds. I think that should give you an idea of exactly why a Tea Party candidate couldn't win here.
11-02-2010 10:19 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Kirk is a typical politician. He will say what ever he has to to win. I want politicians that will make the tough choices. I love how minimum wage, abortion and other "mino" issues come to the forefront. We need elected officials who will get our economy, jobs and governmental spending back in line. Don't worry about abortion, worry about the economy and jobs. FYI, another Stimulus is coming down the pike. Hopefully, enough new faces will stop it. the federal government bailing out states and local municipalities can not be an annual event but that is what it is becoming.
11-02-2010 10:34 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

Be careful about the whole anti moderate "RINO" stuff. Americans are moderate. Yes, they don't like taxes They also like most of what the taxes go to. I'm not saying we cant lower spending and still retain important services. I think we can. But Americans do not want a tiny government if that means taking many basic services. Also, most Americans are moderate on social issues. Its probably safe to say moderate with a small right lean.

Basically, if Republicans and Democrats can get together like they did under Clinton (they hated each other but they got bills passed) both sides will be better off politically and economically. A Republican party, after today, that doesn't allow anything to get done in the name of not being RINO will not be good for america. Same with the democrats.
11-02-2010 10:50 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Well said niuguy.
11-02-2010 10:55 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-02-2010 10:50 AM)niuguy Wrote:  Be careful about the whole anti moderate "RINO" stuff. Americans are moderate. Yes, they don't like taxes They also like most of what the taxes go to. I'm not saying we cant lower spending and still retain important services. I think we can. But Americans do not want a tiny government if that means taking many basic services. Also, most Americans are moderate on social issues. Its probably safe to say moderate with a small right lean.

Basically, if Republicans and Democrats can get together like they did under Clinton (they hated each other but they got bills passed) both sides will be better off politically and economically. A Republican party, after today, that doesn't allow anything to get done in the name of not being RINO will not be good for america. Same with the democrats.

Activists today are more all-or-nothing and more opposed to the kind of compromises that make governing actually happen than before. There's no upside in getting results, only punishment for virtually any action taken.

I don't entirely blame advocacy groups for their behavior. What they're doing is only natural. The kind of compromises and negotiating that make democracy work on any level undermine the existence of a lot of these groups. So they're motivated to get what they want, and only that.

Activists have always been less moderate- but their power has also grown. Moderates have been steadily purged from the House for 20+ years to where they're basically extinct. Since districts are gerrymandered to reduce competition, the only real vote most places in a primary. Party primaries favor idealogues over people serious about governing. Add to that how much smarter campaigns have gotten with data over the last 15 years and even statewide primaries that theoretically should require more moderation to balance the broader interests are starting to be tipped toward the red-meat types activists love.

Throw in the never-ending campaign cycle that also rewards campaign skills over governance skills there is no real room for statesmen and other grown-ups anymore. It's all government by people with the mentality of petulant teenagers.

And, people being people, the tide will only start turning when the wheels completely fall off.
11-02-2010 11:59 AM
Advertisement

HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!
(11-02-2010 07:07 AM)klake87 Wrote:  We did not have a good choice for U.S. Senate but I voted for Kirk anyways. At least he would not be a lap dog for Durbin and Obama. I feel dirty. When Obama ran, did not place a vote for Senator.

I just voted for Kirk and feel just as clean as I did when I got out of the shower this morning!
11-02-2010 12:10 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2010 09:27 AM)niuguy Wrote:  I don't think a Tea Party candidate would do well. To be a republican senator and win in Illinois you need to be a bit more moderate and less, well, extremist.

Moderate Republicans win primaries and lose elections in Illinois.
11-02-2010 12:19 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Huskie_Jon, you don't think a moderate republican does better than an untra-conservative republican in the general election?

edit: Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I meant in Illinois politics. Obviously elsewhere, it's different.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2010 12:48 PM by HuskieFan84.)
11-02-2010 12:30 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
(11-02-2010 10:34 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Kirk is a typical politician. He will say what ever he has to to win. I want politicians that will make the tough choices. I love how minimum wage, abortion and other "mino" issues come to the forefront. We need elected officials who will get our economy, jobs and governmental spending back in line. Don't worry about abortion, worry about the economy and jobs. FYI, another Stimulus is coming down the pike. Hopefully, enough new faces will stop it. the federal government bailing out states and local municipalities can not be an annual event but that is what it is becoming.

i assume by saying 'stimulus' you mean the 'quantitative easing' that has been discussed ad nauseum in the financial markets lately? i think thats different than the 'stimulus' you had in mind.
11-02-2010 12:37 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(11-02-2010 10:50 AM)niuguy Wrote:  Be careful about the whole anti moderate "RINO" stuff. Americans are moderate. Yes, they don't like taxes They also like most of what the taxes go to. I'm not saying we cant lower spending and still retain important services. I think we can. But Americans do not want a tiny government if that means taking many basic services. Also, most Americans are moderate on social issues. Its probably safe to say moderate with a small right lean.

That is nice and all BUT the Republican "leaders" have already said they aren't going to work with Obama(ie. main goal is to see him lose in 2012 which means NOTHING that will benefit the American people and/or economy will be passed in the next 2 years). It is totally worthless to waste all your time and energy wishing and hoping for something that will NEVER happen.

Oh, also expect lots and lots of subpeonas and an attempt to impeach Obama if the Republicans gain control. You think that the country is divided and hates politics now, just wait.
11-02-2010 12:38 PM
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

We need Newt back in power. Also, We need someone other than Boehner. His not the type of leader we need. I want someone to get things done. Boehner will be more of the same. Also, I wish I could find a website that everyone could take a test. I bet people would be surpised as to where they fit in the political sepectrum. More people would turn into libertarians. Fiscal responsibility is important to anyone who works but social issue are more moderate. The only people that want higher taxes are those who are getting hand outs or the unions to keep their coffers filled. Hopefully, those elected will do what is needed not in their own best interests of getting re elected.
11-02-2010 02:10 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2010 12:30 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Huskie_Jon, you don't think a moderate republican does better than an untra-conservative republican in the general election?

edit: Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I meant in Illinois politics. Obviously elsewhere, it's different.

Ten years ago, moderates might have done better than conservatives, but people on the right are sick of moderates, and that has given rise to the TEA party movement - nationwide and in Illinois. That is why Conservative Bill Brady lost to moderate Judy Topinka in 2002, but beat moderate McKenna in 2010.

(11-02-2010 02:10 PM)klake87 Wrote:  We need Newt back in power. Also, We need someone other than Boehner. His not the type of leader we need. I want someone to get things done. Boehner will be more of the same. Also, I wish I could find a website that everyone could take a test. I bet people would be surpised as to where they fit in the political sepectrum. More people would turn into libertarians. Fiscal responsibility is important to anyone who works but social issue are more moderate. The only people that want higher taxes are those who are getting hand outs or the unions to keep their coffers filled. Hopefully, those elected will do what is needed not in their own best interests of getting re elected.

Newt was a political version of Tom Coughlin. He could take his team from the bottom to the top. But he could not adjust to the new challenges and keep them there.

It will be interesting to see what the TEA party does after the Republicans take over and some of their candidates start ignoring their promises, and start spending recklessly. I am betting on Mark Kirk to be the first to do that. Will the TEA party look the other way, or stage protests at the new Republicans' offices too.

The Libertarians are waiting for a train that has already left the station with the TEA party on board. Libertarians would not know how to handle a political victory if they ever had one. They would probably be opposed to it.
11-02-2010 03:01 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I feel the same as many above. But I am so frickin happy the damn commercials will be done today. Yesterday, there were 5 straight commercials, all negative ads for governor, senator, representatives, etc. It's disgusting!
11-02-2010 05:39 PM
Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
If Tea Party wins, America Loses

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/39875964
11-02-2010 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.