Bookmark and Share
Mike_Hunt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
Kennesaw State picks up the basketball pieces
http://www.ajc.com/sports/kennesaw-state...88061.html

By Clark Freeman
For the AJC

It's that time of year again, time for Kennesaw State basketball coach Tony Ingle to put the pieces of the puzzle in place.

The Owls return seven players from last season's team, which finished 13-20 (7-13 in the Atlantic Sun Conference). There are seven new players to fit in as the preseason progresses.

The really good news is that four starters are back: sophomores Markeith Cummings and LaDaris Green, junior Spencer Dixon (Kennesaw Mountain), and Matt Haremb (Chapel Hill), a senior. Senior Kelvin McConnell (Whitefield Academy) also played a key role last season.

"We've got experience, but it's young experience," Ingle said, noting that at the end of last season, four of his starters were freshmen and sophomores.

That "young experience" showed some potential in the A-Sun tournament at the end of last season. In their first year of eligibility in Division I, the Owls qualified for the conference tournament as the No. 8 seed and knocked off No. 1 seed Lipscomb in the first round before falling to eventual champion East Tennessee State in the semifinals.

"The guys coming back understand each other," Ingle said. "The team chemistry is better."

Now the task is integrating the new players, including sophomores Aaron Anderson and Mirza Sabic, both transfers from Central Arizona College, and a very large freshman, Andrew Osemhen (6 feet 9, 240 pounds), from Grayson High School. Two other freshman, guard Nick Turner and Brandon Dawson (Tucker), also join the team.

Ingle was able to get a jump on preseason practice when the Owls were authorized to play a five-game exhibition series in Canada in the summer. KSU won four of the five and gained some valuable extra practice time.

"That has to help," Ingle said. "We're still a young team. We need the help," he said. The Owls face early games against Georgia Tech, Chattanooga, Iowa State and Creighton.

"Markeith averaged about 20 points a game and was instrumental in a leadership role and helping other guys," Ingle said of the Canada trip. "Right now we're trying to figure out who goes where. We're putting things together. Simply put, the five best players aren't always on the floor together. It's the five guys who play together best.

"You've got to have eight or nine guys who are solid. You've got to have depth."

Cummings is the returning star. Last season as a freshman, the 6-7, 230-pounder led the team in scoring (17.4 points per game) and averaged 6.1 rebounds. Dixon played the point, averaging 8.6 points and contributing a team-high 95 assists. Green led the team with 7.9 rebounds per game, ranking fifth in the conference.

Because of his size and athleticism, Cummings shouldered an out-sized burden.

"We need to take some heat off Markeith," Ingle said. "We asked a lot of that young man last season. He was adjusting to Division I basketball and facing double- and triple-teams. We're trying to get some other guys some opportunities."

Osemhen and Anderson could help considerably. Osemhen can provide a much-needed presence inside and Anderson, a 6-7 forward, can be active on the wing.

"Andrew Osemhen really came around," Ingle said, referring to the Canadian tour. "He gives us some bulk, some muscle inside. He has a chance to get in the starting lineup. I was really impressed. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's so big, he's got a chance."

And there are the things that Ingle -- and every other coach -- will harp on from now until the end of the season.

"Our defense has to get better, defense and rebounding," he said. "And obviously you hope your shot selection is going to be better."

Next for KSU

Nov. 2: LaGrange (exhibition) at KSU Convocation Center 7:30 p.m. (Radio: 920 AM)

Nov. 12: Georgia Southwestern at KSU Convocation Center 7:30 p.m. (Radio: 920 AM)
10-23-2010 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
RE: Kennesaw State picks up the basketball pieces
Interesting that Ingle makes a comment about Andrew possibly cracking the starting lineup...that is good news for Andrew, and makes me feel pretty good about that signing.
10-23-2010 04:05 PM
baller8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KSU Owls
(10-23-2010 08:14 PM)Mike_Hunt Wrote:  
(10-23-2010 04:05 PM)KennesawBasketball Wrote:  Interesting that Ingle makes a comment about Andrew possibly cracking the starting lineup...that is good news for Andrew, and makes me feel pretty good about that signing.

He did seem like a good rebounder in the scrimmage but again, it's nearly impossible to tell. Clearly the biggest body on the squad.

Who will be in the starting lineup on opening night and do you agree with the pollsters that we will finish fifth in the conference
10-27-2010 10:19 PM
baller8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KSU Owls
Whats up, no one posting on the board, we are less than a week away from the exhibition game
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010 10:22 PM by baller8.)
10-27-2010 10:21 PM
1st String

I worry about the loss of Woods and the half year loss of Heramb. Woods was our best wing defender we had on the team last year, and he hit a lot of big shots. Kelvin is really going to have to step up on the defensive end.
10-28-2010 06:04 AM
Advertisement

Go Fly Win Owls! Offline
2nd String

(10-28-2010 06:04 AM)KennesawBasketball Wrote:  I worry about the loss of Woods and the half year loss of Heramb. Woods was our best wing defender we had on the team last year, and he hit a lot of big shots. Kelvin is really going to have to step up on the defensive end.

Woods was a horrible defensive player. He left his feet WAY too often to block shots, therefore putting him out of position. He even got hurt on a few occaisions as the offensive player ducked under him as he left his feet. On a positive note, he was very athletic on the wing, but settled way too much for threes. His midrange game was non existent.

Heramb needs to average double figure rebounds when he comes back and I'm not sure he can. Physically, he is stronger than Green, but he never plays like it. He is more aggressive offensively this season, but we need more. I am excited about the new big guy Osenhem (SP). He is a moose and will be a factor by conference play.

I am going to reserve my judgement on any player's defense until after Tuesday. But if you know basketball, you know that defense is a team job and so far we still need work, except for Henry. We are good at letting a player like Hodzic get his points and pressuring everyone else, but we have trouble stopping more balanced teams. That means keeping the ball on the perimeter by the guards and limiting that team to a perimeter shot and getting the rebound.

Agreed Kennesaw Basketball?
10-28-2010 06:17 AM
Escalade2121 Offline
2nd String

(10-27-2010 11:46 PM)Mike_Hunt Wrote:  
(10-27-2010 10:19 PM)baller8 Wrote:  
(10-23-2010 08:14 PM)Mike_Hunt Wrote:  
(10-23-2010 04:05 PM)KennesawBasketball Wrote:  Interesting that Ingle makes a comment about Andrew possibly cracking the starting lineup...that is good news for Andrew, and makes me feel pretty good about that signing.

He did seem like a good rebounder in the scrimmage but again, it's nearly impossible to tell. Clearly the biggest body on the squad.

Who will be in the starting lineup on opening night and do you agree with the pollsters that we will finish fifth in the conference

won't finish worse than 4th IMO. Starting 5- Dixon, Henry, Cummings, Anderson, Green IMO

You really think Henry will crack the starting lineup?

I think, at first, we could see the "comfortable" lineup of Dixon, McConnell, Anderson, Cummings, and Green. I know that's a pretty small backcourt, but IMO it makes the most sense starting out. As far as newcomers go, outside of Anderson, I think Dawson could make an impact early if he can get on the court.

One side note I am excited about is something Ingle said, I don't remember where it was I think it was in an article on ksuowls.com or it might have actually been at the black and gold game. Anyways, he said this team already seems closer and has more chemistry than any team he's ever coached, that's including the 2004-05 National Championship team. I thought that was high praise.
10-28-2010 07:21 AM
1st String

Henry will not start in my opinion, and I don't agree that Woods was a poor defender. He caused a lot of problems for other teams on the defensive end, and if I recall correctly led our team in steals in his first two years with the Owls. Starting lineup opening day is gonna be:

PG: Dixon
SG: McConnel
SF: Markeith
PF: Anderson
C: Green (assuming he is healthy...don't know why he was in street clothes for the jamboree)

I haven't seen Ohsemen play, so I will reserve my judgement on him, but it would not surprise me to see him get minutes if he can do two things. Defend and rebound. With Green and Heramb we have two very talented offensive big men, but we are really going to need Anderson and Ohsemen to provide some depth and defense. I also think that Marine is in line for more minutes this year if he truly has gotten his act together and can knock down an open three. He really started improving some last year, and I am hoping that his game has continued to improve in the offseason. He has a very good basketball body, and could be a nice 2/3 option out there, offering us the chance to slide Markeith into the post every once in a while.
10-28-2010 08:53 AM
1st String

Dawson will definitely be in the mix, I just don't see him starting, but I could be wrong. I think Dawson comes in at the 3/4 slot and they can either slide Markeith to the 4 or the 2 depending on the rest of the lineup. I think that Dixon, Markeith, and Ladaris will get all the minutes they can handle. Everyone else's minutes will be determined by how well they fit in with those three players.
10-28-2010 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.