Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Trends within the conference
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Trends within the conference
I had the opportunity to watch some of the FB games yesterday and here's what I am seeing.

Pitt - yesterday for the first time all season looked like the Pitt team we expected. They struggled in the first half but started to really assert themselves in the second half. It looks like the shakeup on the OL was what was needed. As a team, Pitt rushed for over 300 yards with Graham leading the way with 277 on 29 carries for an ridiculous average of 9+ ypc. Sunseri finally found his touch, finishing the day 15-23. Although that isn't the greatest passing day since Dan Marino, he started the first half 2-9. Late in the first half, he found his rhythm and hit 13 of his last 14 passes.

UConn - Looked like the UConn team the Husky fans have said they would be. They handled Vandy more easily then LSU did. The defense looks solid and they offense is moving the ball.

USF - Easily handled FIU. They will go as far as BJ Daniels can take them. Holtz is a good coach and barring a rash of injuries, they should continue to improve as the season goes on.

Rutgers - After an ugly loss to Tulane at home, I am not sure what to make of this team. Offensively they are struggling mightily. They need to get it figured out quickly or they will start looking like the Rutgers of old.

Louisville - Still looks like a young team. Lots mistakes. They show spurts where you can see their potential, but then they make a mistake and break the momentum. The good news is the effort is there, much more so than under Kragthorpe. Louisville will be fine long term, but the mistakes could keep them down this year. Depth could be a problem as the season goes on.

WVU - Jeckle and Hyde. Play really well one week and give the game away with turnovers the next. They could run the table or they could fumble the game away. I understand why Stew is feeling some heat.

Cinci - Looked much better against Oklahoma. The offense was clicking, something that has been a problem before that.

Syracuse - Looks like they will bite someone this year. You can see some improvement this year over last. Depth could become an issue if injuries start piling up.

All in all, we knew we were a young league this year and the start certainly reflects that. It looks like the kids are starting to get it and by years end we might be able to redeem ourselves in the bowl games. Pitt had a big game coming up next week in South Bend. If we can win that, hopefully the league can start trending up towards a strong finish.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2010 06:09 AM by Shannon Panther.)
10-03-2010 05:36 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
RE: Trends within the conference
The Big East opponents for this week were so poor...tough to make any determination based on that.
10-03-2010 06:45 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(10-03-2010 05:36 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I had the opportunity to watch some of the FB games yesterday and here's what I am seeing.

Pitt - yesterday for the first time all season looked like the Pitt team we expected. They struggled in the first half but started to really assert themselves in the second half. It looks like the shakeup on the OL was what was needed. As a team, Pitt rushed for over 300 yards with Graham leading the way with 277 on 29 carries for an ridiculous average of 9+ ypc. Sunseri finally found his touch, finishing the day 15-23. Although that isn't the greatest passing day since Dan Marino, he started the first half 2-9. Late in the first half, he found his rhythm and hit 13 of his last 14 passes.

UConn - Looked like the UConn team the Husky fans have said they would be. They handled Vandy more easily then LSU did. The defense looks solid and they offense is moving the ball.

USF - Easily handled FIU. They will go as far as BJ Daniels can take them. Holtz is a good coach and barring a rash of injuries, they should continue to improve as the season goes on.

Rutgers - After an ugly loss to Tulane at home, I am not sure what to make of this team. Offensively they are struggling mightily. They need to get it figured out quickly or they will start looking like the Rutgers of old.

Louisville - Still looks like a young team. Lots mistakes. They show spurts where you can see their potential, but then they make a mistake and break the momentum. The good news is the effort is there, much more so than under Kragthorpe. Louisville will be fine long term, but the mistakes could keep them down this year. Depth could be a problem as the season goes on.

WVU - Jeckle and Hyde. Play really well one week and give the game away with turnovers the next. They could run the table or they could fumble the game away. I understand why Stew is feeling some heat.

Cinci - Looked much better against Oklahoma. The offense was clicking, something that has been a problem before that.

Syracuse - Looks like they will bite someone this year. You can see some improvement this year over last. Depth could become an issue if injuries start piling up.

All in all, we knew we were a young league this year and the start certainly reflects that. It looks like the kids are starting to get it and by years end we might be able to redeem ourselves in the bowl games. Pitt had a big game coming up next week in South Bend. If we can win that, hopefully the league can start trending up towards a strong finish.

Good read on BE teams. SU has already started seeing injuries as we have lost 3 wide receivers for the season. It was an area of strength, but now is an area of concern. I still think we will get to a bowl this year.
10-03-2010 06:47 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
At this point in the season it is hard to see Rutgers getting past 6 & 6 if they get that far up the win column. Next week could be a big indicator. If Army beats Tulane next week I could see Rutgers loosing to the Cadets the following week. Rutgers needs to get more out of their offense. If they can get 20 - 28 points out of their offense they may win a few in conference games. At this point the Army game in two weeks is a must win game to get them to 6 & 6 and another bowl game this year. 04-cheers
10-03-2010 07:46 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-03-2010 05:36 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  USF - Easily handled FIU. They will go as far as BJ Daniels can take them.

.. which in all honesty, likely won't be very far.
10-03-2010 08:03 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(10-03-2010 06:45 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  The Big East opponents for this week were so poor...tough to make any determination based on that.

Vandy's a reasonable opponent, but you're generally correct.
10-03-2010 09:45 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(10-03-2010 05:36 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  USF - Easily handled FIU.

FAU. It was you guys who handled FIU.

As Savage said, it's tough to gauge anything, except maybe in UConn's (in a looked good way) and Rutgers' (in a looked bad way) cases. If I'm a Husky fan, I'm still rather concerned about the D though - just awful in the first half.

I'm not ready to claim UC is on track by any means. We played our best game vs. OU, but the fact remains, we're still 1-3. Pretty much similar to WVU, in handing the game to an opponent (four turnovers). Talk to me about turning the corner when our final record shows 9-3, or at least 8-4.

I think WVU is, right now, the class of the conference (which ain't saying much). People point at the Marshall game as a case for weakness, but their HC is very familiar with WVU, plus they were emotionally motivated on the anniversary of the crash. Few point out that almost no one gave them a chance of being close to LSU, let alone winning.
10-03-2010 09:56 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-03-2010 09:56 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
I think he's trying to forget, beej. The game was closer than he liked for too long...
10-03-2010 10:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-03-2010 07:46 AM)panite Wrote:  At this point in the season it is hard to see Rutgers getting past 6 & 6 if they get that far up the win column. Next week could be a big indicator. If Army beats Tulane next week I could see Rutgers loosing to the Cadets the following week. Rutgers needs to get more out of their offense. If they can get 20 - 28 points out of their offense they may win a few in conference games. At this point the Army game in two weeks is a must win game to get them to 6 & 6 and another bowl game this year. 04-cheers

There is no way they are winning 4 more games. I'm not even sure we can beat Army this year. We got lucky to beat FIU and Norfolk State as it is. We have to can Schiano now or we will lose all the progress we've made.
10-03-2010 10:49 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(10-03-2010 10:49 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
(10-03-2010 07:46 AM)panite Wrote:  At this point in the season it is hard to see Rutgers getting past 6 & 6 if they get that far up the win column. Next week could be a big indicator. If Army beats Tulane next week I could see Rutgers loosing to the Cadets the following week. Rutgers needs to get more out of their offense. If they can get 20 - 28 points out of their offense they may win a few in conference games. At this point the Army game in two weeks is a must win game to get them to 6 & 6 and another bowl game this year. 04-cheers

There is no way they are winning 4 more games. I'm not even sure we can beat Army this year. We got lucky to beat FIU and Norfolk State as it is. We have to can Schiano now or we will lose all the progress we've made.

If Army beats Tulane as stated previously above - Rutgers has a good chance of loosing to Army too. If they loose to Army the season is lost as far as bowl eligibility at the end of that game. Rutgers season end bucket list starts with win at home:

Beat Uconn, Army, Syracuse, and L'Ville.
Away take down one of USF, WV, Pitt, or Cinn. Best shot at wins in that catagory are wins over USF or Cinn this year.

Game plan to accomplish a 6 & 6 or 7 & 5 season with potential bowl eligibility is to stay solid on defense. Offensively get away from the continuous wild cat infatuation with Sanu on every first and third down. Put the ball in Savage's hands and start throwing down field. It might help to open a running game to help keep the pressure off of Savage latter in the season. Sanu is a good runner but he is not Tebow. Its time for the Rutgers offensive coordinator and Schiano to get away from Tebowidist and start using their throwing QB and open the offensive game up. Finally Rutgers needs to find a field goal kicker, otherwise it is going to be along frustrating season for the Rutgers football team and their fans. 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 03-melodramatic 03-melodramatic 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
10-03-2010 11:21 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

As Savage said, it's tough to gauge anything, except maybe in UConn's (in a looked good way) and Rutgers' (in a looked bad way) cases. If I'm a Husky fan, I'm still rather concerned about the D though - just awful in the first half.

1st half they gave up some big plays. However, 2nd half they limited Vandy to 68 yards. Finished the game with 5 sacks and 3 INTs with 2 returned for TDs. They could have called 3rd down and short plays a little better with Vandy stacking the middle. Overall, they did not blink when they were down and offense moved the ball much much better with Endres at the helm. Todman is a beast with 190 yards of rushing and 2 TDs. This team is improving.

Vandy is not a bad team. Their other big loss was to LSU. They played Northwestern real tough and beat Ole Miss on the road. They got a pretty decent D.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2010 12:21 AM by SF Husky.)
10-04-2010 12:19 AM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(10-03-2010 11:21 AM)panite Wrote:  

If Army beats Tulane as stated previously above - Rutgers has a good chance of loosing to Army too. If they loose to Army the season is lost as far as bowl eligibility at the end of that game. Rutgers season end bucket list starts with win at home:

Away take down one of USF, WV, Pitt, or Cinn. Best shot at wins in that catagory are wins over USF or Cinn this year.

Game plan to accomplish a 6 & 6 or 7 & 5 season with potential bowl eligibility is to stay solid on defense. Offensively get away from the continuous wild cat infatuation with Sanu on every first and third down. Put the ball in Savage's hands and start throwing down field. It might help to open a running game to help keep the pressure off of Savage latter in the season. Sanu is a good runner but he is not Tebow. Its time for the Rutgers offensive coordinator and Schiano to get away from Tebowidist and start using their throwing QB and open the offensive game up. Finally Rutgers needs to find a field goal kicker, otherwise it is going to be along frustrating season for the Rutgers football team and their fans. 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 03-melodramatic 03-melodramatic 05-stirthepot 04-cheers

You can skip the part where you gonna beat UCONN this coming Friday.
10-04-2010 12:20 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

What's the difference?
10-04-2010 06:39 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-04-2010 12:20 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  You can skip the part where you gonna beat UCONN this coming Friday.

Unfortunately you are 100% right on this. This team is almost making me wish I wasn't such a big fan that I'll actually sit there and watch them lose no matter what. Well actually strike that when they are this bad I'll skip games where the weather is going to suck.
10-04-2010 07:28 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(10-04-2010 06:39 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  

What's the difference?

You're right, and that's probably the chief explanation for the mistake 03-lmfao
10-04-2010 07:31 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(10-04-2010 12:20 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(10-03-2010 11:21 AM)panite Wrote:  

You can skip the part where you gonna beat UCONN this coming Friday.

We'll talk again on Saturday. 03-shhhh 03-lmfao 04-cheers
10-04-2010 07:35 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-04-2010 06:39 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  
What's the difference?
Howard Schnellenberger... 07-coffee3
10-04-2010 08:54 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-04-2010 07:28 AM)brista21 Wrote:  
(10-04-2010 12:20 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  You can skip the part where you gonna beat UCONN this coming Friday.

Unfortunately you are 100% right on this. This team is almost making me wish I wasn't such a big fan that I'll actually sit there and watch them lose no matter what. Well actually strike that when they are this bad I'll skip games where the weather is going to suck.

If Syracuse beat Rutgers last year with a depleted 60 man scholarship roster...imagine us with a 75-80 man scholarship roster this year.

I've circle Rutgers as a Cuse win in my mind...despite the game being in NJ.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2010 10:27 AM by TexanMark.)
10-04-2010 10:26 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The way Rutgers is playing right now, I'd pick Syracuse... 07-coffee3

The way Rutgers has been playing, I'd be tempted to pick Louisville over them...
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2010 11:37 AM by bitcruncher.)
10-04-2010 11:36 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC

it's important 4 the league 4 rutgers to be good theyr'e new york citys team a s is syracuse, they have a big stadium etc...............04-bow
10-04-2010 12:43 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.