Thread Closed 
Big East Report: Even in Defeat, Several Teams Steady Sinking Ship
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Big East Report: Even in Defeat, Several Teams Steady Sinking Ship
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09...inking-sh/

an excerpt:

"Sometimes in defeat, one can turn a corner. Call it a moral victory, call it rationalizing, call it new math. The final result is inherently better than what came into the conflict. And so, despite three clear non-conference defeats against power conference foes last weekend, the Big East Conference somehow looks better than it did before the week. "
10-01-2010 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Big East Report: Even in Defeat, Several Teams Steady Sinking Ship
I'd say that this article treats us generously. E.g., in examining the three close losses to powers from other conferences, an alternative spin would be that we lost all 3 despite two of the games being at home, and against teams that have looked shaky against other, weaker competition (Oklahoma) or are clearly in turmoil (UNC). And claiming that USF's embarrassing close call against Western Kentucky means that the Bulls "may be getting close to a turnaround" borders on wishful thinking: It might be true, but that game surely didn't offer much evidence for it.

That said, the author is correct in noting that teams can improve over the course of the season, and we can all hope that this is happening for Big East teams.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2010 08:27 AM by quo vadis.)
10-01-2010 08:27 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

Looking at WVU's giveaway loss at SEC power LSU and Cincinnati's near comeback against A very highly regarded Oklahoma, even Rutgers close defeat to a UNC team down a few players--these games as the writer points out--show that the endless chatter about how bad the league is is a bit of a stretch. The teams are getting comfortable with new players at key positions, new coaching staffs, lots of travel. We'll see by the season's end how well things progress from here.
10-01-2010 08:33 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Unfortunately winning league games won't get much attention since the mainstream media is intent on bashing the Big East at every opportunity.

It's going to take a very good bowl season and a BCS bowl win (something the Bearcats sadly did not do the last two years), to get back in the good graces of the media.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2010 08:40 AM by bearcatfan.)
10-01-2010 08:40 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(10-01-2010 08:40 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Unfortunately winning league games won't get much attention since the mainstream media is intent on bashing the Big East at every opportunity.

It's going to take a very good bowl season and a BCS bowl win (something the Bearcats sadly did not do the last two years), to get back in the good graces of the media.

If the teams really are improving we will know it during the bowl season. By then we would have had to listen to the well deserved criticism for a whole season, but we can certainly make ourselves look better then.
10-01-2010 08:46 AM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

(10-01-2010 08:40 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Unfortunately winning league games won't get much attention since the mainstream media is intent on bashing the Big East at every opportunity.

yes the post season will be very important. One or two teams can move up in the polls through the season if they play well the res tof the way. If WVU wins out the league has an 11-1 team with a 6 point loss at Death Valley.
10-01-2010 08:48 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If we win our bowl games, that will be all that will be remembered. But if we lose 'em, they'll heap that on top of a season's worth of abuse...
10-01-2010 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Man so if we get our butt kicked again maybe we'll look even better.
10-01-2010 10:29 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Koolaid at its finest. We're a bad league this year... we should just admit it.
10-01-2010 11:46 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

As long as WVU rolls through the rest of their slate unbeaten, I'm happy. Otherwise... 05-mafia
10-01-2010 12:47 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

if we can avoid a fiasco like Utah/Pitt in the Fiesta bowl, that would be huge.

We need a strong bowl showing.
10-01-2010 01:35 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-01-2010 08:58 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If we win our bowl games, that will be all that will be remembered. But if we lose 'em, they'll heap that on top of a season's worth of abuse...

Sadly, the only bowl result we typically get remembered for is the BCS bowl game. The other ones are forgettable because the bowls are minor and often we are matched against non-AQ competition. Heck, sometimes i have trouble remembering who USF beat in our last two bowl games.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2010 02:51 PM by quo vadis.)
10-01-2010 02:51 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
I wasn't aware WVU "gave the game away" LSU was the better team.
10-01-2010 03:08 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-01-2010 03:08 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  I wasn't aware WVU "gave the game away" LSU was the better team.

Yeah, my impression was that the final score fairly reflected the ebb and flow of play on the field. Had the game been in Morgantown might the outcome have been different? Quite possibly. But on that night and in that venue, LSU was 6 points the better team.
10-01-2010 03:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Outside of the punt return, LSU's 2 scoring drives for their other 10 points amounted to 16 yards - total - after WVU turnovers. LSU's offense didn't do diddly...
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2010 04:42 PM by bitcruncher.)
10-01-2010 04:41 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I don't buy that for a minute. Bottom line is 3 of the 5 non bcs conf have more BCS wins occ than the BE does. The BE deserves to be described as bad this year. Winning conf games shouldnt mean much this year, The BE already has shown itself to be pretty weak. Cusa has won only 2 games vs BCS teams, No one should look at conf schedule as more than it is, same with Mac, and Sunbelt. The Wac and MWC schedule should get more pub than the BE, Cusa, Mac or Belt. this year, next year may well be a different story.
10-01-2010 07:11 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-01-2010 04:41 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Outside of the punt return, LSU's 2 scoring drives for their other 10 points amounted to 16 yards - total - after WVU turnovers. LSU's offense didn't do diddly...

Look UCF led 4-0 K state all day but blew it in the last 24 seconds, sorry we don't deserve cred for that, not do we deserve cred for losing to 4-0 NC state by 7. We lost both, and WV lost and a loss is a loss.
10-01-2010 07:13 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

It was a gift... 03-banghead
10-01-2010 07:17 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
would of, could of, should of.
10-01-2010 07:27 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-01-2010 04:41 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Outside of the punt return, LSU's 2 scoring drives for their other 10 points amounted to 16 yards - total - after WVU turnovers. LSU's offense didn't do diddly...

The problem i have with this analysis is that it neglects the game context: LSU's offense arguably didn't do much because, thanks to the big defensive and special teams play that produced a 17-0 lead, it didn't *have* to do much. Offensive strategy is often much different when you are way ahead than when way behind.

Even so, when WVU scored early in the 3rd quarter to pull within 17-14, from that point on LSU was able to chew up the clock with its running game, and still produced about 60 more total yards than WVU.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2010 08:24 PM by quo vadis.)
10-01-2010 08:24 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.