0-2, time to panic
09-04-2010 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uofaownsaswho Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: arizona
RE: Next 2 Weeks @ Ohio, @ WMU
next 5 weeks is pretty tough for you guys. @ohio @wmu wyoming @purdue @boise st.

if you come through that 3-3 you should feel really good
09-04-2010 03:21 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Coaching staff needs to at least consider where we are at QB over these next few games. If we won't have a passing game to speak of due to double coverage on Page and too much inexperience at the other receiver positions, then we need a QB who is a threat in other ways. Play the best athlete, and let's see what happens. If that's Dantin, so be it, but we better recruit for the future. If it isn't Dantin, then make the decision. My guess, though, is that it must be Dantin, as there was no switch made last night...
09-04-2010 03:40 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Online
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
I'm thinking 0-6 or 1-5 by Kent state game. Yes, that bad...
09-04-2010 03:52 PM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Owens already redshirted so he should have gotten in some snaps in game situations so that he is ready to QB when his chance comes. That was inexcusable not to give him some real world experience when the game was clearly lost. He may be better in games than in practice. That seems to be the case in the punting area.
09-04-2010 03:54 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-04-2010 03:54 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Owens already redshirted so he should have gotten in some snaps in game situations so that he is ready to QB when his chance comes. That was inexcusable not to give him some real world experience when the game was clearly lost. He may be better in games than in practice. That seems to be the case in the punting area.

I wondered about that but I think it was a matter of giving Dantin confidence- "You're our guy, through thick and thin" sort of thing. Also, Owens may not be very good at this point. I still don't blame Dantin- he was pressured and seemed really hamstrung by the play calling, IMO.
09-04-2010 10:58 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Middle ground for me. Dantin needed in-game but I think a quarter for the #2 would have been a good idea. Competition is Coach Beckman's mantra. That's a way to do it, though #2 would be coming into a basically pressure free situation.
09-04-2010 11:18 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

Ohio struggled with a I-AA yesterday. Less than 100 yards passing from their new QB, and the best running game they had was to have the QB run. They had about 150 yards of total offense. We really should beat them.

Wyoming really struggled with a I-AA yesterday. Barely averaged over 1 yard per rush and their defense gave up nearly 400 yards to a I-AA.

Those two games should be wins. Maybe even WMU, but not sure there. If we can't beat Ohio and Wyoming though, we will be lucky to win 4 games. My prediction is that we win both of those games though.
09-05-2010 07:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dvargo27 Offline
Special Teams

(09-04-2010 03:54 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Owens already redshirted so he should have gotten in some snaps in game situations so that he is ready to QB when his chance comes. That was inexcusable not to give him some real world experience when the game was clearly lost. He may be better in games than in practice. That seems to be the case in the punting area.

Agree 100% Rocket 75. I posted almost word for word this on the scout site.
09-05-2010 08:22 AM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
(09-05-2010 07:49 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  Ohio struggled with a I-AA yesterday. Less than 100 yards passing from their new QB, and the best running game they had was to have the QB run. They had about 150 yards of total offense. We really should beat them.

Yeah, Ohio definitely struggled. It was a 7 point game in the 3rd quarter. Those triple option teams are tough to prepare for if you dont run it.

Phil Bates started for Ohio, and left after injuring his wrist early on. Boo Jackson replaced him at QB. Boo was the starter two years ago (2355 yard passing, 19 TDs) but had to have surgery on his shoulder last year, causing a redshirt. Combined they had 101 yards passing.

Don't know where you got the 150 yards of total offense. They had 230 yards rushing alone. Davidson (17 carries 70 yards) and Boykin (9 for 61) both looked like decent ball carriers.

It should be a good game Saturday. Safe travels to anyone heading down to Athens.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 06:49 AM by Eagle66.)
09-06-2010 06:36 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(09-06-2010 06:36 AM)Eagle66 Wrote:  
(09-05-2010 07:49 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  Ohio struggled with a I-AA yesterday. Less than 100 yards passing from their new QB, and the best running game they had was to have the QB run. They had about 150 yards of total offense. We really should beat them.

Yeah, Ohio definitely struggled. It was a 7 point game in the 3rd quarter. Those triple option teams are tough to prepare for if you dont run it.

Phil Bates started for Ohio, and left after injuring his wrist early on. Boo Jackson replaced him at QB. Boo was the starter two years ago (2355 yard passing, 19 TDs) but had to have surgery on his shoulder last year, causing a redshirt. Combined they had 101 yards passing.

Don't know where you got the 150 yards of total offense. They had 230 yards rushing alone. Davidson (17 carries 70 yards) and Boykin (9 for 61) both looked like decent ball carriers.

It should be a good game Saturday. Safe travels to anyone heading down to Athens.

I got it off of ESPN's game stats right after the game. They must not have been completely updated at that point.
09-06-2010 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
If we lose to OU, WMU is a must win or the season is over. Winning both MAC games makes it possible to lose the 4 non conferance games and lose to NIU on the road and still go 7-5.
09-08-2010 07:57 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-08-2010 07:57 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If we lose to OU, WMU is a must win or the season is over. Winning both MAC games makes it possible to lose the 4 non conferance games and lose to NIU on the road and still go 7-5.

The special teams and the defense showed definite improvement over those of the past several years, so there is some hope. For whatever reason the offense just never got into a rhythm or found the groove against AZ. As inconsistent as the offense was last year (even after factoring in the injuries)---flat one game (or half) and world beaters the next game (or half)----maybe, if they can just find it in future games the O will be "close to greatness" and suprise a few folks----still, few teams ever achieve their potential without being able to play at a consistently high level quarter after quarter and game after game.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2010 11:53 AM by T-Town.)
09-08-2010 09:12 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-08-2010 07:57 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  lose to NIU on the road .

What does that mean, "lose to NIU"? I'm not familiar with this phenomenon.
09-08-2010 10:18 AM
rockytop Offline
1st String

Everyone seems to be down on the Rockets, I was at the game and watched it again on Sunday. There is no doubt the defense is much improved. UA is very good team. Probably the best to ever play in the Glass Bowl. I will be surprised if we don't beat OU. Dantin and the offense will be OK against MAC competition. Don't get down on this team.
09-08-2010 02:12 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
(09-08-2010 02:12 PM)rockytop Wrote:  UA is very good team. Probably the best to ever play in the Glass Bowl.

I think you are the 3rd person I have read say someting to this effect above.
How on earth do you come to this conclusion?
Anyway...i suppose you are entitled to your opinion.
I suppose if Arizona goes on to win a National Championship you may very well be correct.

Ever consider this is the worst Rocket team to ever play in the Glass Bowl?
That would mean whoever we play that week would look like the BEST TEAM TO EVER PLAY IN THE GLASS BOWL!
09-08-2010 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Roberto Gato Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio, Ohio and Ohio

In general, when Frank Solich opens up against a 1-AA, he tends to play it very close to the vest. Tries to establish the run, and give very little film to his next opponent. I'm not saying we looked great - we certainly could have executed better, but we weren't trying to air it out. 2006 vs Tennessee Martin, we had a really boring 29-3 opening win, I think with one or two defensive or sp teams touchdowns. The next week we racked up 500 yards AT NIU. Both our QBs hadn't seen game action in a year, nearly two for Bates. We were facing an option team and we were facing a funky 3-4 defense. I think week one was a chance to get our feet wet.
09-08-2010 08:39 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-08-2010 06:40 PM)owen Wrote:  
(09-08-2010 02:12 PM)rockytop Wrote:  UA is very good team. Probably the best to ever play in the Glass Bowl.

I suppose if Arizona goes on to win a National Championship you may very well be correct.

That would mean whoever we play that week would look like the BEST TEAM TO EVER PLAY IN THE GLASS BOWL!

No, but the year the Rockets got their clocks cleaned 22-7 by Detroit Mercy was pretty bad.
09-08-2010 08:52 PM
robroy Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-08-2010 02:12 PM)rockytop Wrote:  Everyone seems to be down on the Rockets, I was at the game and watched it again on Sunday. There is no doubt the defense is much improved. UA is very good team. Probably the best to ever play in the Glass Bowl. I will be surprised if we don't beat OU. Dantin and the offense will be OK against MAC competition. Don't get down on this team.

UT should beat the next 2 teams, as both struggled against 1AA's. Even though OU defense suppose to be good UT has a better Offense and much improved D. Go Rockets! 04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers
09-08-2010 11:27 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
(09-08-2010 06:40 PM)owen Wrote:  

I'm guessing Rockytop came to that conclusion from around 50 years of watching Rocket football, give or take a season or two.

No chance this is the worst Rocket team to ever play in the Glass Bowl. They aren't the best, but worst? Not a chance. Of course, jmho...
09-09-2010 02:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.