Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone going to watch practice Saturday?
Whinny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Iowa
Anyone going to watch practice Saturday?
Comments and reports would be much appreciated.
08-13-2010 05:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
RE: Anyone going to watch practice Saturday?
I'll be there Saturday morning (Waldo). Attended this evening, but left early because the sweltering heat on Davis St.

They were in full gear and were hitting today. It's really the first day you get a true look at the running game. Dareyon Chance (5'4" RB) freshmen will definitely play. Very quick, hard to find. Fumbled on his first carry and first real hit (welcome to D-1 football kid). Fields fumbled as well. Winchester, Scriven, Fields, and probably Chance will all play. Who they trust (dont fumble) will probably get the bulk of the carries. Chance will likely see action as a return man as well, but likely behind Jordan White.

I like the defensive coaches. First off they get after guys, and they always add constructive criticism. You could never miss Schafer. He was very vocal. Morris was pretty quiet. The other thing I like is they're not locked in on positions. They'll move a LB to the DE slot if they feel they can get pressure on the QB.

Receivers are looking sharp. CB's are struggling at times. Carder has been sharp, but VanTubbergen wasn't today (in Cubit's dog house). In terms of arm strength Carder's arm is better than Hillers. In terms of reads, Carder has a ways to go to catch up with TH.

I think we'll be better at stopping the run this year. DT's and LBers are an upgrade. And we've got some depth at linebacker as well.
08-13-2010 06:18 PM
bronco5 Offline
Banned

I Root For: GATechSwagger
I heard Burdi took some reps at QB today as well.
08-13-2010 06:48 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(08-13-2010 06:48 PM)bronco5 Wrote:  I heard Burdi took some reps at QB today as well.

He always takes a few. Today he took a few extra..............Probably to send a message to VanTubbergen who was in Cubit's dog house. Second reason, is he won't burn the freshmen's redshirt this year. If he's in a blowout (either way) and needs to go to a third guy he'll go with Burdi rather than the freshmen Mike Perish.
08-13-2010 09:46 PM
Whinny1 Offline
All American

Thanks for the report, Dip! Hope we'll get some more after today's practice.
08-14-2010 10:35 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Cubit's "Dog House" door has always been too readily open for QBs for a guy who is supposedly a QB-passing guru and has is son as QB coach.

In fact Ryan Cubit is probably only one - QB coach or player - who never spent significant (bench or fired) time in it.

Can't develop to full potential if you're playing afraid of making a mistake, especially at QB.
08-14-2010 03:24 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Hiller was getting the same treatment as a sophomore and junior, and then they were like father and son as a senior. Just his style of developing players.

Trey Smith is potentially the most talented receiver on the team. Cubit was on him mercilessly because he went down too easy after the catch. Every catch the kid made he called him Mr. Softy. Smith started toughening up, as did some of the other receivers. Trust me, they all know the drill. The chatter on the sidelines regarding the hazings is very interesting............best part of Davis Street practices.

He tears them down, and builds them up. They love him.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2010 03:45 PM by Chipdip.)
08-14-2010 03:45 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2010 03:45 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  Just his style of developing players.

Trust me, they all know the drill.

He tears them down, and builds them up. They love him.

Maybe. You're there so I'll give your opinion credence.

But 5-7 two of last three years and coaching staff turnover (firings, not advancements) leads me to suspect something ineffective in the "style" or approach.
08-14-2010 04:21 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
A practice that I went to a couple years ago, he was on Jordan White the same way CD reported he was on Smith. Said the same thing about being soft and made him do push ups calling him a whimp as the rest of the offense was running in and out of the huddle between snaps. White missed a block/wouldn't block, and it ticked Cubit off.

The one thing I can say about Cubit, is that his WR's are some of the best downfield blockers I have ever seen in football.
08-14-2010 04:31 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2010 04:31 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  A practice that I went to a couple years ago, he was on Jordan White the same way CD reported he was on Smith. Said the same thing about being soft and made him do push ups calling him a whimp as the rest of the offense was running in and out of the huddle between snaps. White missed a block/wouldn't block, and it ticked Cubit off.

Seriously?

HS coaches don't even do that demeaning stuff any more. How is doing Push-ups, running laps, etc. going to help his Stalk blocking technique while Team is running plays?

Explains a lot.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2010 04:58 PM by MajorHoople.)
08-14-2010 04:57 PM
WMU69 Offline
Banned

I Root For: WMU
(08-14-2010 04:57 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(08-14-2010 04:31 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  A practice that I went to a couple years ago, he was on Jordan White the same way CD reported he was on Smith. Said the same thing about being soft and made him do push ups calling him a whimp as the rest of the offense was running in and out of the huddle between snaps. White missed a block/wouldn't block, and it ticked Cubit off.

Seriously?

HS coaches don't even do that demeaning stuff any more. How is doing Push-ups, running laps, etc. going to help his Stalk blocking technique while Team is running plays?

Explains a lot.

I guess thats why we lose to CMU ever year. what a joke this team has been recently
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2010 05:41 PM by WMU69.)
08-14-2010 05:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MmphsBronco Offline
1st String

WMU69 could you BE any more negative on this board?
08-14-2010 06:22 PM
WMU69 Offline
Banned

(08-14-2010 06:22 PM)MmphsBronco Wrote:  WMU69 could you BE any more negative on this board?

i give credit when credits due Mmphsbronco, im sorry you think im being so negative. i think coach cubit would agree he wishes the team would have performed better last year. i think this recruiting class will help as we got a ton of talent on this team now thanks to the likes of, buxton, boles, Toler, and Chance. losing to ball 1-10 ball state at home was unacceptable.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2010 06:55 PM by WMU69.)
08-14-2010 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
(08-14-2010 06:22 PM)MmphsBronco Wrote:  WMU69 could you BE any more negative on this board?

He's a bum!!! 01-lauramac2
08-14-2010 07:18 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(08-14-2010 05:41 PM)WMU69 Wrote:  
(08-14-2010 04:57 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

Seriously?

Explains a lot.

I guess thats why we lose to CMU ever year. what a joke this team has been recently

Antonio Brown had a better game Saturday night than Scheffler. 03-puke
08-15-2010 08:49 AM
bronco5 Offline
Banned

I Root For: GATechSwagger
(08-14-2010 07:18 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  

He's a bum!!! 01-lauramac2

03-lmfao
08-15-2010 11:56 AM
Whinny1 Offline
All American

(08-14-2010 03:45 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  He tears them down, and builds them up. They love him.

Sounds like the Stockholm Syndrome. But who am I to question the tactics?
08-16-2010 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.