Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pitt star defensive end arrested
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Pitt star defensive end arrested
This could spell trouble for Wanny's attempt at winning The BEast's BCS bid...
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Wrote:Pitt defensive end arrested
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Monday, July 19, 2010

Pitt senior starting defensive end Jabaal Sheard has been suspended indefinitely from team activities as a result of his role in an altercation in the South Side early Sunday morning. Sheard was arrested and charged with felony aggravated assault as well as two misdemeanors (criminal mischief and resisting arrest) and a summary (disorderly conduct).

He was arraigned Sunday at 1:40 p.m. and will have a preliminary hearing July 28.

"We are in the midst of gathering information on a weekend incident involving Jabaal Sheard," said Pitt athletic department spokesman E.J. Borghetti. "While we conduct our own investigation Jabaal has been indefinitely suspended from team activities."

Last season Sheard, from Hollywood Hills, Fla., started all 13 games for the Panthers and had 42 tackles, 10 1/2 for loss, 5 sacks and a team-high 12 quarterback hurries.

Read more:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10200/107...d=pitt.xml
Apparently, Sheard threw another man through a plate glass window... 04-chairshot
07-19-2010 07:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

RE: Pitt star defensive end arrested
jeez... throwing a man through a glass window, seriously? this ain't the movies.
07-19-2010 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

From all that I've read, the guy who was used to break the window may be charged as well...
07-19-2010 08:00 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
This would definitely lessen Pitt's chances of winning the BE. But we do have some pretty good back ups as well. If they are charging both parties it may turn out to be self defense. Apparently the arresting officer was an off duty cop. I have a feeling this will all go away. It was so serious they set bail at $0.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 11:29 PM by Shannon Panther.)
07-19-2010 11:01 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I'd wait for more detail to come out before I think about this going away with no consequence, Shannon. Being charged with a felony and a couple of misdemeanors is no small matter...
07-20-2010 07:57 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
I don't think it will go away without any consequences. I just think that the whole thing is overblown. Resisting arrest when the cop is off duty and not in uniform? That will be dismissed. I think Wanny will suspend him for the season if the charges go forward. Wanny is not one to look the other way on these things. Fortunately Shane Hale is a RS Soph and should be able to fill in. Either him or Lindsay should be ok.
07-20-2010 09:46 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Having a felony aggravated assault charge pending isn't going away any time soon, and could end up with him never playing again, if convicted. We'll have to wait and see what happens...
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 09:59 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-20-2010 09:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Here's some more information on this...
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Wrote:Police: Pitt's Sheard ignored order to stop fighting
By Torsten Ove, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Tuesday, July 20, 2010

[Image: 20100720pitt2_500.jpg]
Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard has been suspended indefinitely after being accused of throwing another man through the glass door of an art gallery. Police say Sheard was in a fight early Sunday and had to be pepper sprayed after he threw the man through the door of La Fond Galleries in the South Side.Pitt football player Jabaal Sheard refused to stop fighting on a South Side street early Sunday and then hurled another man through a glass door even after a police officer hit him repeatedly with his baton, according to court papers.
Keith Srakocic/Associated Press

Sheard, a 21-year-old starting defensive end from Hollywood, Fla., was charged with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct in the incident outside La Fond Galleries on East Carson Street.

Sheard, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound senior, has been suspended indefinitely from the team.

Pittsburgh police Officer Garrett Brown was finishing an off-duty detail and was on his way home at about 2 a.m. when he heard that a group of men were fighting in the street. He said he saw two men fighting and called for backup from Zone 3, then approached the men and yelled at them to stop.

"[Sheard] refused to listen to my commands to stop fighting," the officer wrote in an affidavit, "and continued to punch the victim, Edward Parker, in the face and to the body."

Parker, 27, of Stanton Heights, was knocked into the doorway of La Fond Gallery. Brown and other city officers tried to break up the fight, but Sheard would not stop, according to the affidavit, even after Brown hit him in the torso with his baton.

"At that time Sheard then grabbed Parker by the clothing and threw him through the glass front door of the gallery," Brown wrote.

As Parker lay on his back inside the gallery, bleeding, Sheard continued to punch him in the face, according to the affidavit.

Another officer then used OC spray on both men to subdue them and officers handcuffed Sheard.

He was taken to the county jail and faces a preliminary hearing in city court July 28.

Parker, who suffered cuts and bruises to his head and face, refused to go to the hospital with paramedics; his girlfriend drove him instead.

Brown said the scene was hard to control because Sheard's actions drew a large crowd, and he said the incident caused other officers to respond on a busy evening, taking them away from their regular duties.

The damage to the gallery door was estimated at $600 to $1,000.

Brown said he didn't know why the men were fighting, but he said he'll confer with the district attorney's office to determine whether Parker should also be charged for his role.

Sheard started all 13 games for Pitt last season, made 42 tackles and led the team in quarterback hurries each of the past two years.

Plywood covers the front door of La Fond Galleries on the 1700 block of East Carson Street on the South Side. According to court papers, Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard refused to stop fighting early Sunday and hurled a man through a glass door even while a police officer was hitting Sheard repeatedly with a baton.

Torsten Ove: tove@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1510.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10201/1073895-142.stm
This one isn't going to go away. Sheard most likely will for a while...
07-20-2010 12:52 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.