Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rivals Ranking of Top Athletic Programs....
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Rivals Ranking of Top Athletic Programs....
07-19-2010 06:20 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Rivals Ranking of Top Athletic Programs....
Baseball is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer a major sport in the USA. Most baseball players in MLB are from Central America these days. Americans are a minority in what is supposed to be our national pastime. Given a choice between watching baseball, or either football or basketball, only a very select few would pick baseball. The vast majority of Americans would pick football or basketball...
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2010 06:32 PM by bitcruncher.)
07-19-2010 06:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Guess someone thinks baseball is important:

Quote:Michigan State, Wisconsin, Maryland, West Virginia, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Boston College, Washington and Cincinnati fell from the rankings once baseball was included.
07-19-2010 10:25 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
(07-19-2010 06:31 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Baseball is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer a major sport in the USA. Most baseball players in MLB are from Central America these days. Americans are a minority in what is supposed to be our national pastime. Given a choice between watching baseball, or either football or basketball, only a very select few would pick baseball. The vast majority of Americans would pick football or basketball...

Not true. Baseball is perfectly healthy.
07-20-2010 06:55 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I posted this for a certain WVU fan that says Louisville has done nothing for The Big East.
CJ
07-20-2010 07:24 AM
dbacard Offline
Special Teams

(07-19-2010 06:20 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Rivals Top 17 Athletic Programs

Enjoy,
CJ

Wonder how much higher Louisville would be ranked if goofball hadnt trashed the football program...
07-20-2010 07:36 AM
Advertisement

UofL07 Offline
All American

(07-20-2010 07:24 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I posted this for a certain WVU fan that says Louisville has done nothing for The Big East.
CJ

That person is simply an idiot.

- UofL's ranking in 2004, 2005, and 2006 helped cement the Big East's autobid as did their 2007 Orange Bowl win.

- UofL has fully committed to the Big East by sponsoring every conference sport except men's lacrosse which started this spring. Only G'town, UConn, and ND can say likewise.

- UofL arguably has the most successful athletic department in the Big East outside of Notre Dame (UConn could make a strong argument as well as they are virtually tied with UofL for BE trophies). UofL has claimed 32 Big East titles since joining the league in 2005 (second only to Notre Dame).

- UofL brought the Big East a top 50 TV market and a fan base that travels for bowl games (20K for Gator Bowl, 40K for Orange bowl) and financially supports their teams (Top 30 in merchandise sales).

- UofL has become a school with the third largest athletic budget in the conference (behind ND and barely behind UConn). With the new arena and expanded PJCS, that budget will easily become the 2nd largest in the conference.

- UofL basketball has more than paid its dues by earning more than its fair share in tournament credits. Since joining the BE in 2005, UofL has made the tournament 4 out of 5 years with two elite eight appearances.
07-20-2010 07:51 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(07-20-2010 06:55 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(07-19-2010 06:31 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Baseball is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer a major sport in the USA. Most baseball players in MLB are from Central America these days. Americans are a minority in what is supposed to be our national pastime. Given a choice between watching baseball, or either football or basketball, only a very select few would pick baseball. The vast majority of Americans would pick football or basketball...
Not true. Baseball is perfectly healthy.
Baseball lost a lot of fans during the strikes. Many of them, like me, they lost forever. I used to play baseball, and then umpired games after retiring. But I just got tired of a bunch of spoiled, rich @ssholes b!tch!ng about money to a bunch of other spoiled, rich @ssholes. So I washed my hands of it. Baseball used to be America's most popular sport. Now it's a distant third...

Go back to Fantasy Land, dude... 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 08:05 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-20-2010 08:04 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

It's hard for me to care about baseball when my team hasn't had a winning season in nearly 20 years and seems unlikely to ever have another winning season anytime soon. The big $$$ clubs for the most part have a monopoly on the post-season. When you can literally go out and buy whatever talent you want at any given moment (or so it seems), the sports loses me.

Never got into college baseball, and probably never will. Nothing against it, just not something that ever interested me, even when I was in college.
07-20-2010 08:27 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I played minor league ball, and might have been good enough to make it in the majors. But I'll never know. I shattered my ankle in 1977, which effectively ended my career. But baseball lost me as a fan not long after my career ended. Had I been playing in the major leagues at the time I lost interest in baseball, I would have retired at that point...
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 08:48 AM by bitcruncher.)
07-20-2010 08:47 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Yet MLB has had more different winners (Yankees, Dbacks, Angels, Marlins, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies) the past 10 years than the NFL (Ravens, Patriots, Bucs, Steelers, Colts, Giants, Saints) and the NBA (Lakers, Spurs, Pistons, Heat, Celtics). People are still going to ballparks to see the games. TV ratings are fine. The sport is healthy.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 08:51 AM by MichaelSavage.)
07-20-2010 08:48 AM
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(07-19-2010 06:31 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Baseball is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. It is no longer a major sport in the USA. Most baseball players in MLB are from Central America these days. Americans are a minority in what is supposed to be our national pastime.

LOL Central America?

Belize: 0
Honduras: 0
Costa Rica: 0
El Salvador: 0
Guatemala: 0
Nicaragua: 2
Panama: 7

There are more players in the MLB from Oregon (population 3.8M) than all of Central America (population 41.7M).

On opening day, only ~28% of MLB players were foreign born.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/p...p&c_id=mlb

Don't make **** up.
07-20-2010 10:53 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I don't consider Puerto Rico part of the United States of America. If it were, it would be a state by now...
07-20-2010 11:32 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2010 11:32 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I don't consider Puerto Rico part of the United States of America. If it were, it would be a state by now...

Despite the fact that your statement is utterly ridiculous, including Puerto Rico with 'foreign' born would still leave 69.7% of MLB players as Americans. So now we know nearly 70% of MLB players being American makes them a minority in the sport. Clearly, you weren't a math or geography major...
07-20-2010 01:18 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

What about Japan, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc?

Assuming that everyone is American who isn't from Central America is silly. There are more latinos than anglos, and japanese are becoming a pretty good sized group too...

FYI, I majored in Chemistry and Computer Science...
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2010 01:59 PM by bitcruncher.)
07-20-2010 01:55 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Id be interested in seeing a TRUE ranking of the top athletic programs, one that includes all sports(even volleyball, xcountry and womans ice hockey). to limit it to the big 3 seems pointless. my guess is that many of the top 10 would remain the same, just shifted
07-20-2010 03:34 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

You might as well include rifle too. That would really help out Alaska-Fairbanks...
07-20-2010 04:01 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(07-20-2010 03:34 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Id be interested in seeing a TRUE ranking of the top athletic programs, one that includes all sports(even volleyball, xcountry and womans ice hockey). to limit it to the big 3 seems pointless. my guess is that many of the top 10 would remain the same, just shifted

That's a good idea. If you include all sports I'm sure Louisville would easily move into the Top 10. Even if we lost points for not having a women's ice hockey team.....03-lmfao
CJ
07-20-2010 06:55 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2010 01:55 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  What about Japan, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc?

Assuming that everyone is American who isn't from Central America is silly. There are more latinos than anglos, and japanese are becoming a pretty good sized group too...

FYI, I majored in Chemistry and Computer Science...

Well for a comp sci and chem major, you're not appearing to be very intelligent and cultured, especially since you thought most major leaguers were from Central America, and that 70%+ constitutes as a 'minority'. What do Japan, the DR, and Haiti (0 MLB players, by the way) have to do with anything?
07-20-2010 10:57 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I no longer watch baseball. I've grown tired of the game, due to the spoiled @ssholes playing and running the game...
07-21-2010 09:05 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.