Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks like somebody just leveled the playing field
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: HOUSTON
UH names ex-player Todd Whitting baseball coach

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spor...91686.html

"Professionally, the job I’m looking to take is one where the expectations are high, which they are at the University of Houston, and where I can win a national championship," Whitting said. "You can compete and go to Omaha. We’ve shown we can do that in the past. The accomplishments of this program are going to be our floor. They’re not going to be our ceiling. The ceiling is very high at this place."
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 12:25 PM by Hymie Weiss.)
07-02-2010 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UT Ceng Owl Offline
Orange Eyed Owl

I Root For: Rice
RE: Looks like somebody just leveled the playing field
(07-02-2010 12:24 PM)Hymie Weiss Wrote:  UH names ex-player Todd Whitting baseball coach

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spor...91686.html

"Professionally, the job I’m looking to take is one where the expectations are high, which they are at the University of Houston, and where I can win a national championship," Whitting said. "You can compete and go to Omaha. We’ve shown we can do that in the past. The accomplishments of this program are going to be our floor. They’re not going to be our ceiling. The ceiling is very high at this place."

Awww, that thread title is so cute. He thinks they've leveled the playing field with a team coached by the OG. Adorable.

That aside, he sounds like a good hire. I look forward to UH offering us more competitive baseball games in the future.
07-02-2010 01:11 PM
uhcoog27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH
Hymie, could you make our fan base sound any more retarded?
07-02-2010 01:57 PM
Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
Fooled me. From the title I assumed UH bought a new tractor for Cougar Field.
07-02-2010 02:17 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
What was unlevel about the playing field before this? Who was it that UH could not recruit that Rice was getting? Is UH now going to restrict their recruiting to those who can and will handle advanced college courses?

I guess he means that Whiting is a better coach than Noble, and therefore should get better results. Well, d'uh. Thats why Noble was fired and (anybody else) was hired. The field remains as always, the same.
07-02-2010 02:22 PM
jdh008 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: good baseball
Jokes aside, Whitting is the right hire for the UH program. His hiring weakens TCU's ties to the Houston area, he will bring those types of recruits to UH, and he is a link to some of the really good UH teams from the past. It was no secret that the relationship between Noble and the baseball alumni was contentious at best.
07-02-2010 04:42 PM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-02-2010 02:22 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  What was unlevel about the playing field before this? Who was it that UH could not recruit that Rice was getting? Is UH now going to restrict their recruiting to those who can and will handle advanced college courses?

I guess he means that Whiting is a better coach than Noble, and therefore should get better results. Well, d'uh. Thats why Noble was fired and (anybody else) was hired. The field remains as always, the same.

I agree with this assessment. UH's hiring of Whiting should dramatically improve UH's recruiting at the expense of TCU's (since Whiting was the Horn Frogs liaison to Houston-area high schools), but I don't really see it impacting Rice, since we recruit a different type of student-athlete; one that truly values the college education.
07-02-2010 05:04 PM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

(07-02-2010 01:57 PM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  Hymie, could you make our fan base sound any more retarded?

It's a joke, sport. But, as a matter of fact, our chances of winning a few more recruiting battles has increased tremendously.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 05:14 PM by Hymie Weiss.)
07-02-2010 05:10 PM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

(07-02-2010 05:04 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-02-2010 02:22 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  What was unlevel about the playing field before this? Who was it that UH could not recruit that Rice was getting? Is UH now going to restrict their recruiting to those who can and will handle advanced college courses?

I agree with this assessment. UH's hiring of Whiting should dramatically improve UH's recruiting at the expense of TCU's (since Whiting was the Horn Frogs liaison to Houston-area high schools), but I don't really see it impacting Rice, since we recruit a different type of student-athlete; one that truly values the college education.

Actually, we go after many of the same local baseball players.
07-02-2010 05:16 PM
CoatzaOwl Offline
1st String

Donators
According to the article, Whitting signed a 5-yr, $150,000/yr agreement. How does that compare to other jobs in the area? I don't keep up with these salaries, but it sounds low to me. If he begins to succeed, will that agreement keep him at UH or is the job likely to be a stepping stone?
07-02-2010 05:24 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
That doesn't seem low for a first-time coach. If he begins to succeed, I'm sure that the salary will be renegotiated quickly.
07-02-2010 05:27 PM
Advertisement

texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-02-2010 05:24 PM)CoatzaOwl Wrote:  According to the article, Whitting signed a 5-yr, $150,000/yr agreement. How does that compare to other jobs in the area? I don't keep up with these salaries, but it sounds low to me. If he begins to succeed, will that agreement keep him at UH or is the job likely to be a stepping stone?

For a first time HC, that's probably a decent starting point. Garrido makes $850-900 guaranteed (supposed to go up to $1+ by 2012). Mainieri makes $625. I think the OG is in the same ballpark as Mainieri. Here's the SEC (current):

[Image: 527-secbbpayjpg-f8e1e281f475a965_large.jpg]

And here's info from a couple years ago for C-USA:
http://www.nola.com/tulane/images/TULANEGX.pdf
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2010 05:50 PM by texd.)
07-02-2010 05:36 PM
Dirty Sanchez Offline
2nd String

I Root For: free beer.
(07-02-2010 05:04 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  but I don't really see it impacting Rice, since we recruit a different type of student-athlete; one that truly values the college education.

Lance Berkman disagrees. That was a coogfanesque myopic post. Congrats!?!?!??
07-02-2010 06:53 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
If Whitting is earning more than Noble, Bergman, Palmer, and Godwin, then he's got a pretty good deal. I doubt that is really the case when April 15 comes around, though.
07-02-2010 06:54 PM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

(07-02-2010 01:57 PM)uhcoog27 Wrote:  Hymie, could you make our fan base sound any more retarded?

Does this still sound "retarded" to you uhcoog27? Coogs now ranked #20 in Baseball America. I was originally trying to be funny and stir the pot with this post, but this is EXACTLY what I meant when I posted this back in 2010. We were to the point we almost didn't even belong on the same field with Rice. Now we do.

Rice fans, you've held the Silver Glove since 2000, I believe. As of today, this is the first time in almost a decade where I've felt like the Coogs have a real chance to bring it back to UH. We'll see. Hopefully we keep winning leading up to that weekend.

At any rate, thank-you Todd Whitting!
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 01:30 PM by Hymie Weiss.)
03-25-2013 01:26 PM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

uhcoog27 Wrote: Hymie, could you make our fan base sound any more retarded?

Couldn't help but remember this after we won last night. Getting the Silver Glove back (finally) after 13 years of being owned feels good, eh uhcoog 27?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 07:18 AM by Hymie Weiss.)
03-26-2014 07:12 AM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Congrats on the win and I must admit I'm glad to have some decent crosstown competition again. It really does help both programs.
I hope we get a couple more cracks at UH in the postseason, and the later the better! (both teams *might* be Omaha ready, but right now we're likely to end up in the same bracket)
03-26-2014 07:41 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2014 07:12 AM)Hymie Weiss Wrote:  uhcoog27 Wrote: Hymie, could you make our fan base sound any more retarded?

Couldn't help but remember this after we won last night. Getting the Silver Glove back (finally) after 13 years of being owned feels good, eh uhcoog 27?

Like others have said, it is nice that this series has become competitive again.

But let's put a little asterisk next to this "series" win. Taking the series by winning two, non-sequential games doesn't quite hold the same weight as winning a 5 game series that is made of two midweeks and a weekend series.
03-26-2014 07:56 AM
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

Quote:Like others have said, it is nice that this series has become competitive again.

But let's put a little asterisk next to this "series" win. Taking the series by winning two, non-sequential games doesn't quite hold the same weight as winning a 5 game series that is made of two midweeks and a weekend series.

Agree that a 5 game series would be better.
03-26-2014 08:07 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Why did we change it from 5 to 3? Don't say conference realignment, because we used to play 5 midweek games before Rice joined CUSA in 2005-06.

Ricelad, I don't see any asterisks on the Silver Glove when Rice won 3 of 5 nonsequential midweek games.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 08:55 AM by CougarRed.)
03-26-2014 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.