Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU to go independent?
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
BYU to go independent?
Joe Schade says BYU may leave to go independent in face of having Utah leave for the PAC-10. AFA could follow suit.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5290937
06-16-2010 07:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: BYU to go independent?
The problem is that there simply isn't enough talent left to build another BCS conference and they know the MWC isn't going to get a AQ bid, so needless to say they are in a bad situation...
06-16-2010 07:12 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Damn Boise St. must be regretting their move to the MWC.
06-16-2010 07:15 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Well TCU can be added now.
You could add TCU,Houston and Memphis and you could have a western division. Add one on the East from Temple, ECU or UCF
06-16-2010 07:16 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(06-16-2010 07:15 PM)animus Wrote:  Damn Boise St. must be regretting their move to the MWC.

Why? It's still better than the WAC. Guess what if BYU left(I don't see it) scheduling outside of fb would suck. ND doesn't even do that. Fresno St. would join in a second. The MWC leftovers are better than most of the WAC and is not as spread out as the WAC.
06-16-2010 07:19 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2010 07:15 PM)animus Wrote:  Damn Boise St. must be regretting their move to the MWC.

Its better than traveling to Hawaii or LaTech for games.
06-16-2010 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
Air Force I can see going the same independent route as West Point and Annapolis but not BYU

they don't have the same kind of draw as Notre Dame
06-16-2010 07:20 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2010 07:19 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

Why? It's still better than the WAC. Guess what if BYU left(I don't see it) scheduling outside of fb would suck. ND doesn't even do that. Fresno St. would join in a second. The MWC leftovers are better than most of the WAC and is not as spread out as the WAC.

With 8 million mormons in the intermountain West, BYU might just be able to pull off a network. They could also play a national schedule, increasing interest.

Basketball though BYU would probably be lost. Could they get into the WCC?
06-16-2010 07:23 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

Lets see. They joined the MWC and everyone thought this league would be a BCS conference. Now there's a chance of AFA and BYU going independent and Utah already heading to the Pac 12. Definately not the same league they thought they was going to. This league minus those 3 teams is really no better than the current WAC. Shoot you just might see TCU jump the sinking ship. If i'm Boise St. i'm a pissed off school.
06-16-2010 07:24 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(06-16-2010 07:08 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  Joe Schade says BYU may leave to go independent in face of having Utah leave for the PAC-10. AFA could follow suit.

There's one problem with this. Joe Schade is reporting it.

Schade's an idiot who got exposed as a major league HACK, saying all the Big XII South to the PAC-10 "is imminent" while Texas was signing on to the new Big XII.
06-16-2010 07:29 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

If there is an MWC meltdown, I could see TCU tying to put together a new SWC type conference with the Texas CUSA schools and maybe invite UNM, AFA.

Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
TCU
SMU
Rice
Tulsa
Houston
Tulane

That would be better I think than sitting in a Utah/BYU less conference. This league would have an outside chance at automatic qualifier status.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 07:34 PM by Airport KC.)
06-16-2010 07:33 PM
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I wish there was a way we could add BYU.

How about inviting BYU, TCU, Airforce, and Houston or Colorado State? We also add Memphis and Central Florida and go to 14. I know, I know. Just a thought.
06-16-2010 07:33 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2010 07:24 PM)animus Wrote:  

Lets see. They joined the MWC and everyone thought this league would be a BCS conference. Now there's a chance of AFA and BYU going independent and Utah already heading to the Pac 12. Definately not the same league they thought they was going to. This league minus those 3 teams is really no better than the current WAC. Shoot you just might see TCU jump the sinking ship. If i'm Boise St. i'm a pissed off school.

It still is better San Diego St.> Sac St. or Cal Poly or Texas St.(WAC's future)
Let me put it to you like this If the CUSA lost 4 schools to the BE the Sun Belt schools would kick each other in the nuts to get a spot even if ECU, UCF, Memphis, Houston were gone. CUSA is higher on the NCAA ladder. MWC is higher on the ladder than WAC. The MWC knows and the WAC commish knows that if they lost 3 members they could take Nevada, Fresno St. and say Utah St. in a second. Wyoming, SDSU, New Mexico, UNLV, Boise St., Colorado St.> than La. Tech, Idaho, SJSU, NMSU, Utah St., Hawaii. Fresno would much rather be with their old WAC rivals and Nevada would love to come with, what do I know, I'm only here in the heart of all MWC vs WAC sh*t
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 07:37 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
06-16-2010 07:36 PM
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(06-16-2010 07:33 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  If there is an MWC meltdown, I could see TCU tying to put together a new SWC type conference with the Texas CUSA schools and maybe invite UNM, AFA.

Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
TCU
SMU
Rice
Tulsa
Houston
Tulane

That would be better I think than sitting in a Utah/BYU less conference. This league would have an outside chance at automatic qualifier status.

I could see something like this, but I would switch Tulane with Fresno St...
06-16-2010 07:39 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2010 07:39 PM)UCF-ENG Wrote:  
(06-16-2010 07:33 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  If there is an MWC meltdown, I could see TCU tying to put together a new SWC type conference with the Texas CUSA schools and maybe invite UNM, AFA.

Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP
TCU
SMU
Rice
Tulsa
Houston
Tulane

I could see something like this, but I would switch Tulane with Fresno St...

That sounds like a good idea.
06-16-2010 07:41 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

Also Boise St has been trying to get in the MWC for 5 years, if not more. Before any BCS AQ was on the table.
06-16-2010 07:43 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Moving to the MWC was far from a mistake for Boise. The MWC will continue to have a very good television contract and their own network. Even if they knew that Utah was leaving they would have been fools to pass up on the MWC. It would have been like Louisville and Cincinnati turning down the Big East when it appeared it would lose its BCS bid. Even if they might have lost it, it would have been a great deal for the schools involved.
06-16-2010 07:43 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
The MWC is still a good conference. Think about it. They were on the verge of gaining BCS status prior to Boise St. arriving. Boise St. for Utah is basically an even swap or a slight upgrade for the MWC. They are still a good conference. I think they need to add some more solid teams like Fresno St., Nevada, and hmmm.
06-16-2010 07:44 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-16-2010 07:23 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  With 8 million mormons in the intermountain West, BYU might just be able to pull off a network. They could also play a national schedule, increasing interest.

8 million? You want to get me a source for that every source I have has the number at somewhere between 3.5 and 5.5 million in all of the United States. And what makes you think they can pull off a network by themselves better than the mtn. which includes them, TCU and Utah to date (in the future swap out Boise.)
06-16-2010 07:44 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-16-2010 07:29 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(06-16-2010 07:08 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  Joe Schade says BYU may leave to go independent in face of having Utah leave for the PAC-10. AFA could follow suit.

There's one problem with this. Joe Schade is reporting it.

Schade's an idiot who got exposed as a major league HACK, saying all the Big XII South to the PAC-10 "is imminent" while Texas was signing on to the new Big XII.

Exactly right. And actually he's not even reporting it, he's simply speculating.
06-16-2010 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.