Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference-geddon not over yet!
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Conference-geddon not over yet!
Just my opinion, but I don't think the Big XII staying together stops this whole shuffle from continuing, it just may stop it from playing out in fast forward speed.

The Big Ten had indicated 12-16 months from last December as their timeline. Because of the Pac 10's near steal of the Big XII South, the Big Ten was forced to act earlier and grab Nebraska. However, we know that they still want ND and that they originally had the potential to go to 16.

The Pac 10 was a threat to their goal to become the strongest conference and now that has stalled and the Big Ten can breathe a sigh of relief and go back to their original pace for expansion.

I don't think anything is over yet and I think we'll see the Big Ten make the next move(s). Anyone who thinks that their satisfied with just Nebraska is crazy.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 06:48 PM by Orange Eagles.)
06-14-2010 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
RE: Conference-geddon not over yet!
Agreed. Not to mention that it is doubtful the Big XII will be a happy league from now on--or that they will be happy to remain at 10 schools for long.
06-14-2010 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Responding to Orange Eagles' comment --

I think that Larry Scott and Jim Delany have been acting more-or-less in concert throughout all this, and will continue to coordinate their actions for the mutual benefit of their leagues. Not 100%, down-the-line, but on most things, most of the time, I think they have/are/will. So I don't think it's a question of either one threatening, or forcing the hand of the other.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 06:55 PM by Native Georgian.)
06-14-2010 06:53 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-14-2010 06:48 PM)Orange Eagles Wrote:  I think we'll see the Big Ten make the next move(s). Anyone who thinks that their satisfied with just Nebraska is crazy.
+1
06-14-2010 06:53 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
There is no way the B10 goes to 16 without Texas or ND-both of those are about dead right now.
06-14-2010 06:56 PM
wvufanfrommd Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-14-2010 06:48 PM)Orange Eagles Wrote:  Just my opinion, but I don't think the Big XII staying together stops this whole shuffle from continuing, it just may stop it from playing out in fast forward speed.

The Big Ten had indicated 12-16 months from last December as their timeline. Because of the Pac 10's near steal of the Big XII South, the Big Ten was forced to act earlier and grab Nebraska. However, we know that they still want ND and that they originally had the potential to go to 16.

The Pac 10 was a threat to their goal to become the strongest conference and now that has stalled and the Big Ten can breathe a sigh of relief and go back to their original pace for expansion.

I don't think anything is over yet and I think we'll see the Big Ten make the next move(s). Anyone who thinks that their satisfied with just Nebraska is crazy.

Schools and conferences are starting to get embrassed when their power plays fall through. B10 can't get Texas or ND. Pac 10 can't get the B12 schools and the SEC can't land TXAM. Maybe it is time to take a break and realize that a conference of 12 members is just fine and you don't have to go to 14 or 16.
06-14-2010 06:56 PM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think Conference-geddon 1 might have ended or is at least at halftime until the big 10 moves east but Conference-geddon 2 with the same players trying to scope up texas, texas A&M, and ou + hangers might happen sometime down the line if the new big 12 = new coke + say the big 10 jumped to 16 with nd, texas and friends might have eyes for the western alliance concept at that point.
06-14-2010 06:57 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
If the Big 12 (10) adds BYU, CSU or Air Force and the PAC 10 adds Utah, the MWC's BCS bid takes a huge hit. Or if the Big 12 (10) adds UC and U of L and the Pac 10 adds Utah then the Big East and the MWC take a hit but a critical one. I can't believe the Big 12 (10) will stay together at 10 and give up the conference championship game while they have a chance to weaken the MWC or the Big East.
06-14-2010 06:59 PM
Orange Eagles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-14-2010 06:57 PM)bluesox Wrote:  I think Conference-geddon 1 might have ended or is at least at halftime until the big 10 moves east but Conference-geddon 2 with the same players trying to scope up texas, texas A&M, and ou + hangers might happen sometime down the line if the new big 12 = new coke + say the big 10 jumped to 16 with nd, texas and friends might have eyes for the western alliance concept at that point.

Exactly. I think the Big Ten still has eyes to go east for the network.
06-14-2010 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

Even if they do it may not be for 5 years or so..They will have to know for 100%that ND wants in.If not they arent taking teams they dont want like RU,Cuse or UCONN just for fun.
06-14-2010 07:01 PM
wvufanfrommd Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-14-2010 06:59 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  If the Big 12 (10) adds BYU, CSU or Air Force and the PAC 10 adds Utah, the MWC's BCS bid takes a huge hit. Or if the Big 12 (10) adds UC and U of L and the Pac 10 adds Utah then the Big East and the MWC take a hit but a critical one. I can't believe the Big 12 (10) will stay together at 10 and give up the conference championship game while they have a chance to weaken the MWC or the Big East.

Dude their conference came one inch from completly falling apart in less than 1 week and you think they are going to think about expanding with UC and UofL?
06-14-2010 07:03 PM
Advertisement

MichiganTiger Offline
The Right Honorable

I Root For: the UofMs

Donators
(06-14-2010 06:56 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  There is no way the B10 goes to 16 without Texas or ND-both of those are about dead right now.

+1

None of the other schools left on the board add enough value to the league.
06-14-2010 07:04 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(06-14-2010 07:03 PM)wvufanfrommd Wrote:  Dude their conference came one inch from completly falling apart in less than 1 week and you think they are going to think about expanding with UC and UofL?

Not sure if they will ever think about expanding but I'm sure UC and UofL would jump if they ever got the opportunity. Have to look at what's going to happen when the other 6 football programs in The Big East jump to The Big 11+1, The ACC or SEC.
CJ
06-14-2010 07:10 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I do not think that the Big Ten really wants to expand eastward without Notre Dame.

I also think Notre Dame knows this and also knows that the threat of adding three (or four) Big East teams is a somewhat hollow one.

The big question is whether the additions of Pitt, Syracuse, UConn and Rutgers (or some combo of three or four BE schools)--- without ND---- will really add that much more revenue to the Big Ten/ Big Ten Network to justify the increased split of the pie.

I am not so sure that it would. If ND just remains firm and does not say "yes", what happens to the Big Ten's plans?

Will they really add those extra schools? Is it economically feasible to do so?

I think a lot of the Big Ten and Big Ten Network payouts and profit estimates have been proven to be inflated.

I wonder if adding the BE schools will really increase the total revenue stream enough to make such an expansion worthwhile.

It will be interesting to watch.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 07:14 PM by TerryD.)
06-14-2010 07:11 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

No way they do it without ND Terry,or they already would have,its that simple.They dont want to be ''stuck'' with 3 teams they dont want,that would bring in very little football revenue.
06-14-2010 07:13 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies
(06-14-2010 06:56 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  There is no way the B10 goes to 16 without Texas or ND-both of those are about dead right now.

Spot on.
06-14-2010 07:17 PM
Advertisement

wvufanfrommd Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-14-2010 07:10 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(06-14-2010 07:03 PM)wvufanfrommd Wrote:  Dude their conference came one inch from completly falling apart in less than 1 week and you think they are going to think about expanding with UC and UofL?

Not sure if they will ever think about expanding but I'm sure UC and UofL would jump if they ever got the opportunity. Have to look at what's going to happen when the other 6 football programs in The Big East jump to The Big 11+1, The ACC or SEC.
CJ

Maybe if the schools in the BE would work as hard on trying to fix what is wrong with the BE as they do on trying to find a way to get out of it the conference would be in a lot better shape.
06-14-2010 07:18 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I look for The Big 11+1 to use the same mentality that The Big East has used for the last 5 years when some one mentions expansion. They will say there is no school of value available as in Notre Dame or Texas. Besides they know if they ever want to take a chance and expand that every school in The Big East would jump at the opportunity. They can afford to wait.
CJ
06-14-2010 07:18 PM
Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(06-14-2010 07:11 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I do not think that the Big Ten really wants to expand eastward without Notre Dame.

I also think Notre Dame knows this and also knows that the threat of adding three (or four) Big East teams is a somewhat hollow one.

The big question is whether the additions of Pitt, Syracuse, UConn and Rutgers (or some combo of three or four BE schools)--- without ND---- will really add that much more revenue to the Big Ten/ Big Ten Network to justify the increased split of the pie.

I am not so sure that it would. If ND just remains firm and does not say "yes", what happens to the Big Ten's plans?

Will they really add those extra schools? Is it economically feasible to do so?

I think a lot of the Big Ten and Big Ten Network payouts and profit estimates have been proven to be inflated.

I wonder if adding the BE schools will really increase the total revenue stream enough to make such an expansion worthwhile.

It will be interesting to watch.

Terry, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Texas appears to be dead as an option for the Big Ten at least for now. So, I think the Big Ten has 2 choices:

1. Take 2 Big East schools in an attempt to destabilize the league & force Notre Dame to make a move. The risk is that this leaves them with 2 new members that they may not want if ND says "No". The Big Ten is smart enough to know this & I believe that they won't put themselves in this position.

2. Push forward into the Eastern markets without Notre Dame. There is clearly a lot of up side if they can gain access to cable systems in the NY market. ND was key to that strategy. I don't know what their research tells them about their ability to gain access without ND. Even without NYC, NJ is the one state that is big enough to be a clear gain. It would extend the footprint into a population of almost 9 million. It is probably the only Eastern school with enough up side to be worth pursuing.

IMO Rutgers is worth getting for the Big Ten even without Notre Dame. For selfish reasons, I hope that the Big Ten doesn't go after them. It will be interesting to watch & see if they do

It will also be interesting to watch & see if the Big Ten still holds out any hope of eventually getting Texas. They can watch developments in the Big XII. Right now a new TV contract is simply promises. If it fails to materialize, we could be right back to square one next spring.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2010 07:29 PM by Bill Marsh.)
06-14-2010 07:28 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(06-14-2010 07:18 PM)wvufanfrommd Wrote:  Maybe if the schools in the BE would work as hard on trying to fix what is wrong with the BE as they do on trying to find a way to get out of it the conference would be in a lot better shape.

UC, UofL, WVU and USF tried that back in March and were told, thanks but no thanks. You cannot force half the conference to work to "fix what is wrong with the BE" if they are resolved to do nothing but wait for a call from another conference.
CJ
06-14-2010 07:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.