Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big East's new football conf to have HQ in FLA?
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Big East's new football conf to have HQ in FLA?
From article below on comments from Big East Commish Marinatto at this week's Big East Meetings outside of Jacksonville:

"I love Florida. I think our annual meetings should be here, and I'd love to move our offices here. I really would. I contemplated that earlier this year."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...2244.story

Actually makes sense...with at least 2 bowl agreements for Bowl Games in FLA...plus having at least 1 football member in the state (as compared to now).

Things that make you go "hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm".
05-26-2010 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Big East's new football conf to have HQ in FLA?
That is an interesting article indeed.
05-26-2010 06:56 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
C-USA moved its HQ from Chicago to Texas after the previous realignment and the A-10 moved its offices to Virginia after bringing on a new commissioner last year.
05-26-2010 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Does the St. Pete bowl really count?
05-26-2010 07:49 AM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Pencil UCF into the conference.

P.S. I don't see the B10 taking anyone from the BE. But the Tampa/Orlando connection equals easy money and double your presence in the state of Florida. Good move to me- many USF fans may disagree.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 08:26 AM by frogman.)
05-26-2010 08:24 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-26-2010 06:35 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  From article below on comments from Big East Commish Marinatto at this week's Big East Meetings outside of Jacksonville:

"I love Florida. I think our annual meetings should be here, and I'd love to move our offices here. I really would. I contemplated that earlier this year."...Things that make you go "hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm".

Not really. The conference had considered a move earlier this year and re-signed a lease agreement in Providence.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 09:20 AM by DFW HOYA.)
05-26-2010 09:20 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-26-2010 08:24 AM)frogman Wrote:  Pencil UCF into the conference.

P.S. I don't see the B10 taking anyone from the BE. But the Tampa/Orlando connection equals easy money and double your presence in the state of Florida. Good move to me- many USF fans may disagree.

I think the Big East could certainly have some leverage on the entire I4 Corridor. I'm doubt we'd ever control I4 due to Florida and FSU fans. Interesting times.
05-26-2010 09:48 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

There is no love lost between many USF and UCF fans, specially on the internet. But I dont think many USF fans would object if UCF was the best addition to the league. It will be funny to see many of the same UCF internet fans that have been thrashing the Big East become their bigest defenders if the Knights are added, I remember how many of them did the same with CUSA while USF was there, constantly posting all over on how MAC football was better.
05-26-2010 11:32 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-26-2010 09:20 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(05-26-2010 06:35 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  From article below on comments from Big East Commish Marinatto at this week's Big East Meetings outside of Jacksonville:

"I love Florida. I think our annual meetings should be here, and I'd love to move our offices here. I really would. I contemplated that earlier this year."...Things that make you go "hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm".

Not really. The conference had considered a move earlier this year and re-signed a lease agreement in Providence.

Hence why I titled this thread: "Big East's new football conf to have HQ in FLA?"

As in...the football programs would not be in their current 8 football/8 basketball conference set up.

Without the Catholic Hoop schools, obviously the Big East Football Conf Members could set up their new HQ anywhere and won't be stuck in Rhode Island...which isn't on anyone's "football" map.

Somewhere in FLA, where they have at least 2 bowl agreements (maybe more in the future) and maybe 1-2 members (in the future) might be a favorite for a new HQ location.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 01:19 PM by KnightLight.)
05-26-2010 01:18 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(05-26-2010 11:32 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

There is no love lost between many USF and UCF fans, specially on the internet. But I dont think many USF fans would object if UCF was the best addition to the league. It will be funny to see many of the same UCF internet fans that have been thrashing the Big East become their bigest defenders if the Knights are added, I remember how many of them did the same with CUSA while USF was there, constantly posting all over on how MAC football was better.

I see Cuban is softening his stance on UCF to the BE. I am not for UCF to the BE (IF we need a team, I am for TCU, then maybe ECU...better FB programs IMO), I can certainly see the logic behind adding them. I used to be against adding them. Now, if they add them, so be it. If they don't so be it also.
05-26-2010 03:05 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

how long is the term of the lease?
05-26-2010 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Thay all have breakage clauses. 04-cheers
05-26-2010 04:56 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

That means nothing. The lease could be broken or has some clause in it if they move to Florida. Or the basketball schools could keep the office if the conference splits.
05-26-2010 05:14 PM
Orange Cuse Jones Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
Why move the office to Florida? I always believed that the Big East office should be located in NYC. Providence will do for now, but moving it to Florida is basically giving the middle finger to the Big East base schools.
05-26-2010 07:03 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-26-2010 07:03 PM)Orange Cuse Jones Wrote:  Why move the office to Florida? I always believed that the Big East office should be located in NYC. Providence will do for now, but moving it to Florida is basically giving the middle finger to the Big East base schools.

100% agree. Have the offices in NYC, have the spring meetings in Florida and then have the football media day stuff in Rhode Island.
05-26-2010 07:57 PM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Exactly how "big" is the Big East office. How many people work for the Big East and need an office to do so? I can't really imagine it would require much more than a simple office park would provide.

Would it really be that big a deal where they are located? My opinion is that the location is irrelevant.
05-26-2010 08:03 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-26-2010 05:14 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  

That means nothing. The lease could be broken or has some clause in it if they move to Florida. Or the basketball schools could keep the office if the conference splits.

Ding!
05-26-2010 08:48 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-26-2010 07:03 PM)Orange Cuse Jones Wrote:  Why move the office to Florida? I always believed that the Big East office should be located in NYC. Providence will do for now, but moving it to Florida is basically giving the middle finger to the Big East base schools.

1) NYC has always been the best place for the Big East to have their HQ...as that's why you will find the NFL, NBA, and NHL all located there...as its best to be close to CORPORATE AMERICA who pay most of your bills.

2) As the scenario hinted...Big East might end up with 2 all-sports programs in FLA...which is 2 more all-sports programs vs what is currently located in Providence, Rhode Island.

You could say that the Big East having their HQ in a non-football city and state is giving the middle finger to all the football programs that pay most of the freight for the conf.
05-26-2010 08:50 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Thre are no "basketball only" schools, present company included. (With 29 teams, Georgetown has more sports in the conference than any school in the league, excepting rowing, sailing, and football, which of course plays elsewhere...)
05-26-2010 09:11 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
It's semantics. We can call schools "non-BE football" if people feel better. No need to ignore the elephant in the closet. Football is driving the bus.
05-26-2010 10:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.