Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Please Return To RPI Scheduling Requirements
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
Please Return To RPI Scheduling Requirements
We had better do it, along with penalties for not doing it, if we want to be relevant in the Division I NCAA Basketball world. Here is a link to an article from the Bowling Green, KY newpaper about the subject and how the league's RPI has dropped since the scheduling requirements were dropped:

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2010...ports2.txt

Little Rock has done better than most conference members on the scheduling front, but last year we obviously did a horrible job on the winning front. Here's a link to the Sun Belt Conference's final RPI rankings, along with the Strength of Schedule rankings. As you can see, we stack up ok on the SOS (best in the league at #166, but still only about midway in Division I), but by winning only six games we sucked on the RPI ranking, and therefore we're still guilty of pulling the league's RPI down:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_sbelt_Men.html

It is obvious why UNT got relegated to a #15 seed, and why the SBC may be stuck in one of the play-in games if the rest of the league doesn't step it up on scheduling, and teams (obviously including us) don't start winning more and better quality non conference games.

The Conference Spring Meetings start this coming weekend. Hopefully the Presidents, Chancellors, and ADs of the league will wake up and smell the coffee. If not, we might as well get used to being relegated to the bottom of the NCAA. I for one am not too interested in spending my money on a program and league that doesn't aspire to be better than #21 out of 32 in the RPI league rankings.
05-17-2010 06:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Please Return To RPI Scheduling Requirements
(05-17-2010 06:20 PM)PTJR Wrote:  We had better do it, along with penalties for not doing it, if we want to be relevant in the Division I NCAA Basketball world. Here is a link to an article from the Bowling Green, KY newpaper about the subject and how the league's RPI has dropped since the scheduling requirements were dropped:

Little Rock has done better than most conference members on the scheduling front, but last year we obviously did a horrible job on the winning front. Here's a link to the Sun Belt Conference's final RPI rankings, along with the Strength of Schedule rankings. As you can see, we stack up ok on the SOS (best in the league at #166, but still only about midway in Division I), but by winning only six games we sucked on the RPI ranking, and therefore we're still guilty of pulling the league's RPI down:

It is obvious why UNT got relegated to a #15 seed, and why the SBC may be stuck in one of the play-in games if the rest of the league doesn't step it up on scheduling, and teams (obviously including us) don't start winning more and better quality non conference games.

The Conference Spring Meetings start this coming weekend. Hopefully the Presidents, Chancellors, and ADs of the league will wake up and smell the coffee. If not, we might as well get used to being relegated to the bottom of the NCAA. I for one am not too interested in spending my money on a program and league that doesn't aspire to be better than #21 out of 32 in the RPI league rankings.

Interesting. We had the toughest schedule in the league. Kudos to our coach and AD. The only way to even get close to that goal of 149 SOS, and not have a horrible record, is to schedule like we did. If schools do it by scheduling BCS road games our league record will be even worse going into conference and our RPI will take even a bigger hit. We showed that scheduling home and homes with good midmajors can be done. Be interesting to see if other schools try to take the same approach. I have my doubts that the league will mandate anything. How long did not playing DII schools last?
05-17-2010 08:35 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
RE: Please Return To RPI Scheduling Requirements
(05-17-2010 08:35 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(05-17-2010 06:20 PM)PTJR Wrote:  We had better do it, along with penalties for not doing it, if we want to be relevant in the Division I NCAA Basketball world. Here is a link to an article from the Bowling Green, KY newpaper about the subject and how the league's RPI has dropped since the scheduling requirements were dropped:

Interesting. We had the toughest schedule in the league. Kudos to our coach and AD. The only way to even get close to that goal of 149 SOS, and not have a horrible record, is to schedule like we did. If schools do it by scheduling BCS road games our league record will be even worse going into conference and our RPI will take even a bigger hit. We showed that scheduling home and homes with good midmajors can be done. Be interesting to see if other schools try to take the same approach. I have my doubts that the league will mandate anything. How long did not playing DII schools last?

You may be right about the league possibly lacking the guts to mandate anything, however we can always hope. Since the meeting starts within the week, we won't have long to wait to find out. We certainly have the right formula for scheduling. Now we just need to bounce back after our bad year on the court.
05-17-2010 09:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.