Thread Closed 
Big 12 TV Contract breakdown by team
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Big 12 TV Contract breakdown by team
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/...ring-funds

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

A hot-button issue in recent years has been the revenue disparity between Big 12 teams. Several athletic directors of some of the conference's bottom feeders have mentioned how difficult it is to compete with the conference's biggest powers.

The Omaha World-Herald recently provided the breakdown for each school in the conference's 2007-08 revenue sharing numbers from those provided to the Internal Revenue Service.

The total of $103.1 million places the conference fourth among the "Big Six" conferences that make up the Bowl Championship Series automatic qualifiers. The Big 12 ranks behind the Big Ten ($154.2 million), the Atlantic Coast ($137.6 million) and the Southeastern ($135 million) conferences in revenue generated to share with members.

The World-Herald's findings indicate that $57 million come for television contracts, along with $32.2 million from bowl games, $27.3 million from the NCAA, $11.1 million from conference championships and $434,623 from royalties and licensing. The conference keeps some of the revenue to pay its bills, which is why those figures add up to more than the $103.1 million distributed to member institutions.

The Big Ten is the only conference that shares revenue equally among its schools. It provided $14 million to each school during the 2006-07 fiscal year.

The Big 12 schools divvy up all money equally except that which is generated from television.

Half of the TV money is divided evenly. The other half goes into an appearance pool. The schools that earn the most money are the ones who appear for football TV games and basketball nonconference games. Credits also are issued for NCAA tournament appearances.

Here's a look at the money provided for each Big 12 team.

1. Texas: $10.2 million
2. Oklahoma: $9.8 million
3. Kansas: $9.24 million
4. Texas A&M: $9.22 million
5. Nebraska: $9.1 million
6. Missouri: $8.4 million
7. Texas Tech: $8.23 million
8. Kansas State: $8.21 million
9. Oklahoma State: $8.1 million
10. Colorado: $8.0 million
11. Iowa State: $7.4 million
12. Baylor: $7.1 million

Source: Omaha World-Herald

And here's how the BCS-affiliated conferences rank:

1. Big Ten: $154.2 million
2. ACC: $137.6 million
3. SEC: $135 million
4. Big 12: $103.1 million
5. Pac-10: $80.1 million
6. Big East: $77.6 million
05-15-2010 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Big 12 TV Contract breakdown by team
I guess I'm speaking from a different perspective than the ones who have been in the B-12, but I'd hardly quibble about $3MM difference. It would still beat what we get in the BE. The $77.6MM looks a LOT worse when you consider how many basketball teams share that. Yes, only eight share the FB money, but the BB money dwarfes that.
05-16-2010 11:23 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I hear you brother, bye Big East. 04-cheers
05-16-2010 12:35 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-16-2010 12:35 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I hear you brother, bye Big East. 04-cheers

I wouldnt be toasting the demise of the Big East just yet is looking more and more like the Big12 will lose more and that IF SEC follows suit the ACC or Big12 will get hit. The Big East could come out in better shape if they stick together.
From the last post on the commish it looks like they finally get it that football runs this train and hiring Tagliabute could create the glue that will keep the Big East together. I hope so I want our league to grow and rather stay with our current football members than going to ACC or Big12
05-16-2010 08:00 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

It's hard to argue that it would be best to stay in The Big East but there are a bunch of if's in that statement:

If The Big 11 only invites 1 or better None.
If The Big East adds at least 1 football playing member.
If The Big East gets commitments from ALL football members that they will stay even if the ACC, SEC or Big 12 comes calling.
If The Big East does something to increase revenue like a Big East Network.

Until those things happen the prudent thing for EVERY Big East program is to look out for what's best for themselves.
CJ
05-16-2010 08:44 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I agree with what Jim said. And until I hear Pitt, Cuse, UConn and Rutgers say they are staying, I say by Big East. 04-cheers
05-16-2010 08:56 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I agree Jim 04-bow Back up the "all for one and one for all" rederic with a heavier exit fee ($10 MM, or so)... that, and of course, a significant increase in TV revenue 04-deal
05-16-2010 09:02 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(05-16-2010 09:02 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I agree Jim 04-bow Back up the "all for one and one for all" rederic with a heavier exit fee ($10 MM, or so)... that, and of course, a significant increase in TV revenue 04-deal

Schools looking for an exit are not going to vote for a 10 million dollar exit fee especially if they are looking at the B-10 and ACC for a bail out.
Those schools would be Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, and Syracuse. WV might have an eye on the SEC, and L'ville and Cinn maybe be looking west at the B-12 or the remenants of the B-12. 03-weeping 03-melodramatic 05-stirthepot
05-16-2010 09:47 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.