Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Exhibit "A"
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
Exhibit "A"
In the paper this morning there was a story about how overall attendance at Division I Basketball games was down slightly last year, no doubt in part due to the economy. But two schools had average increases per game of over 2,000. They are Kansas State and UAPB.

Just goes to show again that winning cures a lot of ills.
05-13-2010 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Exhibit "A"
(05-13-2010 08:40 AM)PTJR Wrote:  In the paper this morning there was a story about how overall attendance at Division I Basketball games was down slightly last year, no doubt in part due to the economy. But two schools had average increases per game of over 2,000. They are Kansas State and UAPB.

Just goes to show again that winning cures a lot of ills.

You and others have been preaching that for years now. At some point, someone who has the power to do something about it might begin listening.04-cheers
05-13-2010 09:16 AM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
This past winter Frank Broyles was in Monticello to speak on alzhmeimers. While here he toured UAM's new indoor facility. When the conversation got around to attendance he supposedly said something to the effect that a few fans come to see you play but most people come to see you win.
05-13-2010 09:37 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(05-13-2010 09:37 AM)hb8 Wrote:  a few fans come to see you play but most people come to see you win.

Fans come to see you play. Tourists only come to see you win.
05-13-2010 10:56 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(05-13-2010 10:56 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 09:37 AM)hb8 Wrote:  a few fans come to see you play but most people come to see you win.

I believe that statement totally. The truth is, we need some tourists to be able to turn them into fans. The few times I've missed a game lately, you can't even give Trojan tickets away. I've tried several times and couldn't give the tickets away.
05-13-2010 01:35 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2010 01:35 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 10:56 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  

I believe that statement totally. The truth is, we need some tourists to be able to turn them into fans. The few times I've missed a game lately, you can't even give Trojan tickets away. I've tried several times and couldn't give the tickets away.

Problem is how many of those "tourists" will ever be "real" fans. We've gained tourists, over the years, but in the end they're gone as soon as we hit a bad spell (which is going to happen with any midmajor program). I don't know the answer with regard to how you turn folks into "real" fans. It almost has to be "in your blood". I've brought various folks to UALR games over the years- most seem to really enjoy themselves. I just don't seem many come back on their own. Sure we'll gain some fans, toward the end of the season, if we win next year. But as soon as those seniors are gone, and we start slow the next season, those "fans" will be gone as well.
05-13-2010 02:16 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(05-13-2010 01:35 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  The truth is, we need some tourists to be able to turn them into fans.

I think we took the first step with the Jack. At least we have an attractive, accessible facility.
05-13-2010 02:27 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(05-13-2010 02:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  The truth is, we need some tourists to be able to turn them into fans.

I still stay it has to start early. If we had a fulltime person who did nothing but coordinate school and club groups to come FREE to ballgames and gave them each T-shirts, in the long run it would pay for itself.
05-13-2010 04:30 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2010 04:30 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 02:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  The truth is, we need some tourists to be able to turn them into fans.

I still stay it has to start early. If we had a fulltime person who did nothing but coordinate school and club groups to come FREE to ballgames and gave them each T-shirts, in the long run it would pay for itself.

Unfortunately, I was saying the same thing when I moved to Little Rock 28 years ago. Kids who were 10 then, would be 38 with their own families to bring to games now. They'd be doctors, lawyers, business owners, etc. I guess its never too late to start doing this type of thing.
05-13-2010 05:14 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(05-13-2010 05:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  [ I guess its never too late to start doing this type of thing.

Of course it isn't too late, but someone has to DO it. Mr. Moss may be the man, and so far I would say he is doing a pretty good job.
05-13-2010 06:20 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
The tourists will come when you win. Some of them will become fans, some won't. I did. But, you sure as hell won't win many over having dull teams like we've had over the past seven years. And when you have a big crowd out, you've got to play exciting basketball and WIN. When we have a big crowd, we usually look like Ned in the first reader and lose, sometimes badly.
05-13-2010 07:37 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(05-13-2010 07:37 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  The tourists will come when you win. Some of them will become fans, some won't. I did. But, you sure as hell won't win many over having dull teams like we've had over the past seven years. And when you have a big crowd out, you've got to play exciting basketball and WIN. When we have a big crowd, we usually look like Ned in the first reader and lose, sometimes badly.

And sometimes we look brilliant. It is a tough draw. As for the tourists becoming fans, I was once a tourist along with several others. I only know of one or two of that bunch who even mention that they still attend UALR games anymore. It's like it is unbecoming a hog fan to get serious about UALR.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2010 09:35 AM by Robert C.)
05-14-2010 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

(05-14-2010 09:34 AM)Robert C Wrote:  It's like it is unbecoming a hog fan to get serious about UALR.

One of the toughest markets in the US for that very reason.
05-14-2010 09:42 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2010 09:42 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(05-14-2010 09:34 AM)Robert C Wrote:  It's like it is unbecoming a hog fan to get serious about UALR.

One of the toughest markets in the US for that very reason.

That's why "x's and o's" aren't as important as charisma and an up tempo style at a school like UALR. I really think just a different style of play would improve our recruiting chances. If we were winning and going to the NCAA on a regular basis, our style of play might not matter as much, but with our history of a total lack of postseason performances, it's hard to overcome that barrier. I don't blame the Hogs for our situation. I blame the powers that be that have allowed this situation to develop in the first place. Start getting to the NCAA regularly, and you'll see 5,000 fans most nights. That's the only way it's ever going to happen. I like Coach Broyles comment. "People don't come to see you play...they come to see you win". Truer words were never spoken. Until the Hogs starting winning years ago, they didn't draw flies. Whoever said "success breeds success, and failure breeds failure" was certainly correct.04-cheers
05-14-2010 10:50 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
Not So. Plenty of sports fans in Central Arkansas who are not red neck hog fans. The problem is that the UALR Admn. is unwilling, maybe afraid to promote Trojan Basketball and do what is necessary to have a winning program. In my 25 years or so as a supporter and fan, I have never known enthusiasm and morale to be as low as it is now. Maybe that's the way they want it to be.
05-14-2010 10:55 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2010 10:55 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  Not So. Plenty of sports fans in Central Arkansas who are not red neck hog fans. The problem is that the UALR Admn. is unwilling, maybe afraid to promote Trojan Basketball and do what is necessary to have a winning program. In my 25 years or so as a supporter and fan, I have never known enthusiasm and morale to be as low as it is now. Maybe that's the way they want it to be.

Maybe- just not sure where they are or how you find them.

I don't think Chris is "afraid" of anyone. He may not confront Fayetteville directly, the way Coach Newell did, but I don't believe fear is the reason.
05-14-2010 12:00 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

This program needs a high-profile cheerleader in the community.
05-14-2010 12:06 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2010 12:06 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  This program needs a high-profile cheerleader in the community.

I've had many thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on how to improve attendance over the past 28 years. Few, if any, were tried or implemented. Would they have worked? I have no idea. At this point, I just go and enjoy the games at our beautiful facility. Fortunately, the way our arena is built, a crowd of 2500 creates a pretty decent college basketball atmosphere. I remember Newell wanting to curtain off half of Barton Coliseum to create a better atmosphere. Wasn't a bad idea- just don't know how well it would have worked there.
05-14-2010 12:12 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Imagine if we had someone as knowledgeable and well-known as Ron Crawford who was a cheerleader for UALR.
05-14-2010 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.