Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would happen?
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
What would happen?
I don't think it will happen, but if USF, Cincy, Louisville, & West Virginia were to be the odd schools out after relignment, what would happen to your programs? Since USF, Cincy, & Louisville are not far removed from being non-bcs programs, I think they could adapt easier than West Virginia. Thoughts?
05-07-2010 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: What would happen?
As Louisville we survived and thrived before and we will do so again. We know what it is like to be on the outside looking in. It doesn't matter what league we are in we will fill our expanded stadium and be excited about our new coach and the new direction of our football program. A record number of season ticket sales this year is testament to that. Next season we move into a new arena and once and for all solidify our position as the most money making college basketball program in the country. The future is bright here. We are proud members of The Big East and will continue to be until we are asked to leave or the conference is no more, whichever comes first. After that we will be a proud member of whatever conference we: a) Are invited to join , b) Help Found , or C) Return to.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2010 11:58 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-07-2010 08:43 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
This will not happen, so not worried one bit
05-07-2010 08:55 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Not trying to cause anyone to worry, just curious as to fan speculation. I suspect a lot of money is being spent or has been spent due to being in a BCS conference. It seems to me that there would be loss of fan support, money, recruiting advantage, etc. Former BCS schools could be left in a world of financial trouble.
05-07-2010 09:00 AM
christopherg Offline
Water Engineer

(05-07-2010 09:00 AM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  Not trying to cause anyone to worry, just curious as to fan speculation. I suspect a lot of money is being spent or has been spent due to being in a BCS conference. It seems to me that there would be loss of fan support, money, recruiting advantage, etc. Former BCS schools could be left in a world of financial trouble.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.

The BCS will become more, not less, inclusive. That means all current BCS members will be included, and some non-BCS schools will be included, along with the current arrangement that any non-BCS school can still play in a BCS bowl if they meet the qualifications.
05-07-2010 09:03 AM
ucat03 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: cincinnati
I tend to agree with this sentiment. While its not assured, I think that there could be grounds for a lawsuit for material damage to a program if it were excluded... Especially UL/UC and WVU who have all competed and won championships within the Big East...rather than a Temple who got booted for lack of performance and investment.

I'd prefer to see us stay in the Big East because it has been good to us, but finding a home in an elite level conference where split/implosion questions stop would be nice.

On the Cincinnati side I can see the conspiracy theories now...OSU pushes for expansion because they aren't the top college football headline anymore.

(05-07-2010 09:03 AM)christopherg Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.

The BCS will become more, not less, inclusive. That means all current BCS members will be included, and some non-BCS schools will be included, along with the current arrangement that any non-BCS school can still play in a BCS bowl if they meet the qualifications.
05-07-2010 09:36 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I think the concern about being a BCS team and somehow losing that ticket is overblown. After the chairs are rearranged, the top guys will make more of the bucks, but what is different about that now? Nothing.

Almost all the current teams will find a suitable home somewhere, I'm pretty sure. Maybe all of them. We'll see.
05-07-2010 09:41 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(05-07-2010 09:00 AM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  Not trying to cause anyone to worry, just curious as to fan speculation. I suspect a lot of money is being spent or has been spent due to being in a BCS conference. It seems to me that there would be loss of fan support, money, recruiting advantage, etc. Former BCS schools could be left in a world of financial trouble.

Our money was spent well before we ever joined The Big East. It's the spending that helped get us into a BCS conference I would venture to say debt at UofL has gone down since we joined The Big East. If anything the extra revenue gave us an opportunity to pay off some bills and stash some away for the future.
CJ
05-07-2010 10:05 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(05-07-2010 08:21 AM)Brick City Pirate Wrote:  I don't think it will happen, but if USF, Cincy, Louisville, & West Virginia were to be the odd schools out after relignment, what would happen to your programs? Since USF, Cincy, & Louisville are not far removed from being non-bcs programs, I think they could adapt easier than West Virginia. Thoughts?

It would be a disaster. WVU would be left in a league with no natural/historic rivals and most of our major recruiting rivals would be situated in stable conferences. Our football program would certainly have an uphill climb to remain competitve nationally

With that being said...its hard for me to see Uconn finding a home and not West Virginia

Jackson
05-07-2010 10:44 AM
Den Away
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
CardinalJim,

EXCELLENT attitude. IMHO, Louisville will be just FINE for all the reasons you mentioned...
05-07-2010 11:11 AM
1badbird Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cards
I truly feel for WVU. If the BE loses Cuse, Rutgers and Pitt, the Mountaineers would have lost alot of good football conference mates and rivals in a short period of time. Are you guys running off the compatition or what? 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2010 11:16 AM by 1badbird.)
05-07-2010 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Den Away
Special Teams

Quote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.
I can agree with that 100%.

Quote:The BCS will become more, not less, inclusive.
100% DISagreement on this.
05-07-2010 11:16 AM
BlazerOfUAB Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Small Guy
(05-07-2010 09:03 AM)christopherg Wrote:  

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.

I'm not buying that one bit. What is currently going on is the hav's feeding on the hav's. If the BCS was so concern about current BCS programs being left out to dry, you would think they would have step in to stop what the Big 10 is doing. It is not the BCS responsibility to keep teams in AQ status; that is the conference responsibility. And the ACC or any other conference isn't going to be made to invite teams from a conference that may collapse because of their misguided leadership.

The BE wouldn't be in the mess in the first place had they invited more teams and seperated from the catholic schools. UCF, Memphis and ECU should have been invited when UL, UC and USF were invited. And Temple should have never been kicked out of the BE.
05-07-2010 11:16 AM
Den Away
Special Teams

Perhaps a decent 9 team, all-sports conference could come out of this? I'm not going to lobby for NEW teams & would ask the same of others. Is it possible to stay ON topic here? 03-wink...
05-07-2010 11:27 AM
Den Away
Special Teams

I'm working HARD on rep points today 03-wink...
05-07-2010 11:30 AM
ecu92 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-07-2010 11:16 AM)Den Wrote:  
Quote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.
I can agree with that 100%.

Quote:The BCS will become more, not less, inclusive.
100% DISagreement on this.

The above statement may technically be true, no currrent BCS school will be excluded from the BCS. However, all bets are off if "they" disband the BCS, and form some new system. That's how the powers-that-be will get around the BCS rules, they'll just let the BCS expire, and they'll create a new configuration. For example, a team like Iowa State will probably remain a member of the Big XII as long as a Big XII exists. But when the BCS expires, the Big XII (minus Texas, Neb, Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc) may not be in the new power structure.
05-07-2010 12:02 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-07-2010 09:03 AM)christopherg Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again. No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen.

That's probably what everyone at TCU, SMU, Rice, and Houston believed, about 20 years ago.
05-07-2010 12:17 PM
Den Away
Special Teams

Then a team like Iowa State will call on its big brother - IOWA
05-07-2010 12:20 PM
swash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
(05-07-2010 09:03 AM)christopherg Wrote:  No current BCS member will involuntarily be excluded from any expansion/merger. It just won't happen. The lawsuits that would follow would be enormous.

Curious...who would they sue if the Big East ceased to exist, and what grounds would they have to sue, say, the Big 10/11 for not being picked up? Obviously, they couldn't sue the BCS as a collective...it's not within their authority or charter to determine who conferences select. I'm a law amateur, sure...but I'm not following your legal argument/foundation here at all. Everyone says "sue," and that's fine and dandy...but who and for what? Sure you can sue...but your chances of winning anything from anyone in that would be nil, at best.

I just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to assume there may be schools left out of the BCS that are currently in when this all shakes out.

(05-07-2010 09:03 AM)christopherg Wrote:  The BCS will become more, not less, inclusive. That means all current BCS members will be included, and some non-BCS schools will be included, along with the current arrangement that any non-BCS school can still play in a BCS bowl if they meet the qualifications.

Yeah...I don't agree with that at all. When this round of dominoes is finished falling, the BCS schools are going to close ranks like Patton.

A question I've always had, but never really looked into, is Temple. If I'm remembering correctly, they were booted from the Big East in 2004? Did they sue the Big East for depriving them of BCS riches? If there ever was a justification for some sort of legal action, that would be one. Granted, it's an apples and oranges deal, I know...but anyone from Temple will tell you, it's not out of the realm of possibility to be in one day and out the next...and I just don't see a lot of recourse for any teams left out.
05-07-2010 12:47 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
I still think B11 wants ND and will stop at 12. If they take 2 or more BE schools, it will cause major problems for the BE. I am not sure B11 will want all the backlash for destroying the BE unless they help find homes for the schools that are left behind.

I am sure all the remaining schools will find a home in a BCS conference one way or another. Programs like WVU and UL got plenty going for it so I doubt either will be left out in the cold.
05-07-2010 12:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.