Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B10 Creating the First CFB Playoff? LINK
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
B10 Creating the First CFB Playoff? LINK
To further argue (from the TWEET thread) that a 16-school conference with two 8-school four 4-school divisions would absolutely be great for college football, I found somebody who agrees, and he decided to write it up.

Could Big Ten Expansion Create the First College Football Playoff

Man, that's awesome if that's what Delany has in mind. Now, I wonder what his buddies on the Pacific are planning...
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2010 03:37 PM by ecuacc4ever.)
04-30-2010 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: B10 Creating the First CFB Playoff? LINK
(04-30-2010 03:36 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  To further argue (from the TWEET thread) that a 16-school conference with two 8-school four 4-school divisions would absolutely be great for college football, I found somebody who agrees, and he decided to write it up.

Man, that's awesome if that's what Delany has in mind. Now, I wonder what his buddies on the Pacific are planning...

It's definitely a cool idea in theory. The issue is that this would require a fairly significant change in NCAA rules. Now, maybe other conferences will be on board with it if they want the flexibility to go up to 16 teams, too, but it wouldn't be possible under the current rules.
04-30-2010 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

Put 8 schools in a "Division", satisfying the 6-schools-per-division rule, then break those 8 into 4-school "pods". I don't see how that would require a rules change. Now, staging a 2-round playoff, I have no idea about those legalities.
04-30-2010 03:48 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-30-2010 03:48 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Put 8 schools in a "Division", satisfying the 6-schools-per-division rule, then break those 8 into 4-school "pods". I don't see how that would require a rules change. Now, staging a 2-round playoff, I have no idea about those legalities.

Right - it's the 2-round playoff that wouldn't work under current rules. Rotating pods into 8-team divisions does work, though.
04-30-2010 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Den Away
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
IMHO, the one thing CUSA does right is to play the football conference championship at the home of the team with the best conference record. Why let some other city get that $$$?...
04-30-2010 03:56 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-30-2010 03:56 PM)Den Wrote:  IMHO, the one thing CUSA does right is to play the football conference championship at the home of the team with the best conference record. Why let some other city get that $$$?...

Ummm... those cities such as Atlanta and Dallas pay a TON of money to the SEC and Big XII, respectively, to host those games. At the same time, conference championship games are NOT about the fans. They are vehicles to get maximum sponsorships and sell corporate suites that exist in NFL stadiums that are neutral sites.
04-30-2010 04:04 PM
Advertisement

Den Away
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
I get all that, but in CUSA's case, IMHO, they got it right. Dang if I know why I brought that to the BE board - 1000 pardons Tank sir...
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2010 04:10 PM by Den.)
04-30-2010 04:08 PM
Blitz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
(04-30-2010 03:36 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  To further argue (from the TWEET thread) that a 16-school conference with two 8-school four 4-school divisions would absolutely be great for college football, I found somebody who agrees, and he decided to write it up.

Regarding your suggestion about the PAC10- For it to work as well for another conference, presuming that the B10 goes to 16 and one of those teams is NE, the conference would need at least 4 “premium” programs to anchor each division. Anything more or less than 4 (or 8 or 12 exactly- but unlikely so) leaves the divisions unbalanced. With the rumored structure, the B10 has the perfect anchors in OSU, UM, PennSt. and UNE. Picture a two-round playoff inclusive of those four teams (which I suspect would a common occurrence)- now that would draw high national ratings.
04-30-2010 05:35 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

Well - and this is hypothetical stuff here...

Texas, Colorado, Southern Cal, Oregon would qualify as perfect "anchors".
04-30-2010 08:26 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I think this would be a terrible idea. One of the things that separates college football from most other sports is the championship isn't demeaned by giving too many teams a chance of it in the playoffs. No way should 1 out of 4 teams still have a chance after the regular season is finished.
04-30-2010 08:59 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I think the only way for the Big 10 to get a 4 team championship to work is if the SEC also asks to have a 4 game championship. ABC/ESPN and CBS would be all over this. That in itself would make a sh1tload of money for each conference and would further seperate the SEC and Big 10 from the rest of the pack when it comes to money.
04-30-2010 09:01 PM
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
You guys know we had pods in the WAC and old rivals got left out playing each other, poof the MWC is born. There was never semi finals. BYU, Utah, New Mexico were pissed that some years there pod would be in the opposite div. of the Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St. pod which basically made it like they were in different conferences.

I think the Big 10 schools might have the same thoughts if its 4 pods of 4.
04-30-2010 09:27 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-30-2010 09:27 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  You guys know we had pods in the WAC and old rivals got left out playing each other, poof the MWC is born. There was never semi finals. BYU, Utah, New Mexico were pissed that some years there pod would be in the opposite div. of the Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St. pod which basically made it like they were in different conferences.

Fresno Alum--

Some major differences with the WAC/16. For one thing, BYU and Air Force were not making unholy gobs of money every year. For another, the weakest teams in the WAC/16 were a whole lot worse than the weakest teams in the purported Big Ten/16. For another, the geography would be much, much tighter in Delany's world than it was in the WAC. But the main thing, of course, is the money. If the WAC/16 had been depositing the kind of checks the Big Ten/16 would be (will be?), you could have put BYU in the Rice/Tulsa pod, or the San Jose/Fresno pod, and they would've accepted it. Wouldn't have been their ideal choice, but they would've accepted it in exchange for $20m (and counting) a year.
04-30-2010 09:47 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
(04-30-2010 04:08 PM)Den Wrote:  I get all that, but in CUSA's case, IMHO, they got it right. Dang if I know why I brought that to the BE board - 1000 pardons Tank sir...

cusa only did it that way because no one would travel to a neutral site game and there wouldnt be nearly enough local interest to justify it... the crowd would be extreemely empty
04-30-2010 10:03 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(04-30-2010 09:47 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 09:27 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  You guys know we had pods in the WAC and old rivals got left out playing each other, poof the MWC is born. There was never semi finals. BYU, Utah, New Mexico were pissed that some years there pod would be in the opposite div. of the Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado St. pod which basically made it like they were in different conferences.

Fresno Alum--

Some major differences with the WAC/16. For one thing, BYU and Air Force were not making unholy gobs of money every year. For another, the weakest teams in the WAC/16 were a whole lot worse than the weakest teams in the purported Big Ten/16. For another, the geography would be much, much tighter in Delany's world than it was in the WAC. But the main thing, of course, is the money. If the WAC/16 had been depositing the kind of checks the Big Ten/16 would be (will be?), you could have put BYU in the Rice/Tulsa pod, or the San Jose/Fresno pod, and they would've accepted it. Wouldn't have been their ideal choice, but they would've accepted it in exchange for $20m (and counting) a year.

Money does solve a lot of problems, but going from 22 to say 25 mill a year may not be enough that the B10 schools would be pleased with 16 and have pods.
04-30-2010 10:07 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-30-2010 10:03 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  cusa only did it that way because no one would travel to a neutral site game and there wouldnt be nearly enough local interest to justify it... the crowd would be extreemely empty
Precisely.
04-30-2010 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Blitz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
(04-30-2010 08:26 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Well - and this is hypothetical stuff here...

Texas, Colorado, Southern Cal, Oregon would qualify as perfect "anchors".

Anchors, well... perhaps. But I would hardly compare Oregon or Colorado to Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.
05-01-2010 01:01 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Keep in mind that the B10 has been the biggest opponent of a "plus one" BCS playoff championship game, and has until now been content not to have a conference championship game. Seems far fetched to think they would push the envelope.
05-01-2010 09:11 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(04-30-2010 10:03 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  cusa only did it that way because no one would travel to a neutral site game and there wouldnt be nearly enough local interest to justify it... the crowd would be extreemely empty

That's the same reason the ACC should consider doing the same thing.
CJ
05-01-2010 09:53 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Now we know why the Big 11 has been against a play-off for so long. It wasn't because of the Rose Bowl connections. It's because the greedy ba$tards want to keep the money for themselves.
CJ
05-01-2010 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.