Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What made Butler good?
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
What made Butler good?
This is a serious question, BTW. It certainly wasn't their shooting, which was average at best.
04-06-2010 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: What made Butler good?
(04-06-2010 11:40 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  This is a serious question, BTW. It certainly wasn't their shooting, which was average at best.

Certainly not great shooters. I suspect it was that they are smart kids, and fundamentally sound.
04-06-2010 11:49 AM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
I watched several of thier games and I think it is A) thier defense. They are so quick and active with thier hands, they force a lot of turnovers and B) thier rebounding. They block out exceptionally. They spurt to inside position and just turn thier back to the opposing player for rebounding position. C) they are patient and work for a good shot. Even when they don't go down, they only seem to take good shots.
04-06-2010 04:52 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Kinda sounds like us 2 seasons ago, minus the good shot selection...
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2010 09:12 PM by eh9198.)
04-07-2010 09:11 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(04-07-2010 09:11 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Kinda sounds like us 2 seasons ago, minus the good shot selection...

I agree. I think Steve's philosophy is the same as Butler's coach. Emphasis on Defense, rebounding, and shot selection. Ironically, Duke is the only team in the tourney to score more than 60 on Butler. 61 was just enough to win.
04-07-2010 10:00 PM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
The only way that system works consistantly is with 4 year players and an occasional juco or transfer that are exceptional. Maybe Coach Sheilds is finally ready to build this program with HS talent instead of turning over every two years with jucos. I only wish it hadn't taken him 7 years to come to that conclusion. Better late than never.
04-07-2010 10:12 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-07-2010 10:12 PM)Karl B Wrote:  The only way that system works consistantly is with 4 year players and an occasional juco or transfer that are exceptional. Maybe Coach Sheilds is finally ready to build this program with HS talent instead of turning over every two years with jucos. I only wish it hadn't taken him 7 years to come to that conclusion. Better late than never.

Does that mean he gets another seven years to do it the right way? I'm getting more sick of this do-nothing program every day.
04-08-2010 08:40 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2010 08:40 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(04-07-2010 10:12 PM)Karl B Wrote:  The only way that system works consistantly is with 4 year players and an occasional juco or transfer that are exceptional. Maybe Coach Sheilds is finally ready to build this program with HS talent instead of turning over every two years with jucos. I only wish it hadn't taken him 7 years to come to that conclusion. Better late than never.

Does that mean he gets another seven years to do it the right way? I'm getting more sick of this do-nothing program every day.

I had an uncle who was very successful in business, and he told me that you're better off doing something and doing it wrong then doing nothing. Obviously you wouldn't bet the entire farm on a lark, but what he was saying was that you can't sit still. You have to keep trying new ideas just to keep up. We've done that with our baseball and women's basketball programs. Just not with our men's basketball program.

Guess the powers that be are satisfied that things will get better. That's the only reason I can determine for maintaining the status quo. If an AD doesn't make changes after a 22 loss season and seven years with no postseason appearances, then the only thing I can figure out is that there is no accountability. And as Scotto maintains, Steve can stay as long as he wishes. And since we all really like Steve as a person, even those who ask for a change, players are going to school and getting degrees (those who stay) and we haven't had any bad incidents involving our players. So there have been positives. It's just that the program hasn't progressed in line with our facilities. But if patience is a virtue, our fans have to be among the most virtuous in the country.04-cheers
04-08-2010 08:58 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2010 08:58 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

I had an uncle who was very successful in business, and he told me that you're better off doing something and doing it wrong then doing nothing. Obviously you wouldn't bet the entire farm on a lark, but what he was saying was that you can't sit still. You have to keep trying new ideas just to keep up. We've done that with our baseball and women's basketball programs. Just not with our men's basketball program.

Guess the powers that be are satisfied that things will get better. That's the only reason I can determine for maintaining the status quo. If an AD doesn't make changes after a 22 loss season and seven years with no postseason appearances, then the only thing I can figure out is that there is no accountability. And as Scotto maintains, Steve can stay as long as he wishes. And since we all really like Steve as a person, even those who ask for a change, players are going to school and getting degrees (those who stay) and we haven't had any bad incidents involving our players. So there have been positives. It's just that the program hasn't progressed in line with our facilities. But if patience is a virtue, our fans have to be among the most virtuous in the country.04-cheers

I guess most of our few fans are like Cub fans. Just keep putting up with the same old **** year after year. I'm not like that.
04-08-2010 10:24 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2010 10:24 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(04-08-2010 08:58 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

I guess most of our few fans are like Cub fans. Just keep putting up with the same old **** year after year. I'm not like that.

Maybe it's like the millions of golfers who know they're never going to be as good as the pros, but they keep playing because they just enjoy the game, or it's a habit they can't ditch, no matter how miserable they play. Sort of the same situation with our basketball situation. I can't think of anything better in the winter months than going out to the Jack and seeing my friends and watching basketball. I would like more success, and maybe it will happen eventually, but if it doesn't, I guess I'm pretty well committed until something better comes along.04-cheers
04-08-2010 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(04-08-2010 11:00 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I guess I'm pretty well committed until something better comes along.

Imagine that.

[Image: 0511-0809-0313-1607_Crazy_Man_Wearing_a_..._image.jpg]
04-08-2010 11:04 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2010 11:04 AM)Scotto Wrote:  
(04-08-2010 11:00 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  I guess I'm pretty well committed until something better comes along.

Imagine that.

[Image: 0511-0809-0313-1607_Crazy_Man_Wearing_a_..._image.jpg]

It has probably been suggested on several occasions that I should be committed!04-cheers
04-08-2010 11:45 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(04-08-2010 11:45 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  It has probably been suggested on several occasions that I should be committed!04-cheers

Rats! You beat me to that line, Doc.
04-08-2010 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.