Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well, Gillespie isn't get the Houston or UTEP jobs
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Well, Gillespie isn't get the Houston or UTEP jobs
as rumored. Well, I guess Sam Houston State has an opening-

HOUSTON - FOX 26 Sports has learned that former Texas Tech University coach James Dickey will be named the next head basketball coach at the University of Houston.

College basketball sources told FOX 26 Sports that Dickey gets a five-year contract from Houston that will pay him between $400,000 and $450,000 a year.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2010 10:20 PM by mjs.)
03-31-2010 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Well, Gillespie isn't get the Houston or UTEP jobs
(03-31-2010 10:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  as rumored. Well, I guess Sam Houston State has an opening-

HOUSTON - FOX 26 Sports has learned that former Texas Tech University coach James Dickey will be named the next head basketball coach at the University of Houston.

College basketball sources told FOX 26 Sports that Dickey gets a five-year contract from Houston that will pay him between $400,000 and $450,000 a year.

Looks like he's going to end up as an unpaid assistant at Little Rock for another year .
04-01-2010 08:48 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Good thing he was hanging out at UALR this year. Did a lot of good.
04-01-2010 09:00 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2010 09:00 AM)Scotto Wrote:  Good thing he was hanging out at UALR this year. Did a lot of good.

Yeah. Gillispie and those closed practices. Worked miracles.04-cheers
04-01-2010 09:36 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(04-01-2010 09:00 AM)Scotto Wrote:  Good thing he was hanging out at UALR this year. Did a lot of good.

Yea, if Gillespie hadn't helped out this year, we probably wouldn't have won but three or four games.
04-01-2010 10:46 AM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(03-31-2010 10:14 PM)mjs Wrote:  as rumored. Well, I guess Sam Houston State has an opening-

That hire may work out but I really don't look at the Dickey hire as an upgrade from Penders.
04-01-2010 07:51 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2010 07:51 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

That hire may work out but I really don't look at the Dickey hire as an upgrade from Penders.

Amazing to me that Houston paid him almost half a million dollars a year. I don't think they draw more than us. Also they fire one "old" coach and hire another- Dickie has to be in his late 50's by now.
04-01-2010 08:13 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
(04-01-2010 08:13 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Amazing to me that Houston paid him almost half a million dollars a year. I don't think they draw more than us. Also they fire one "old" coach and hire another- Dickie has to be in his late 50's by now.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Penders was fired.
04-01-2010 09:21 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2010 09:21 PM)hb8 Wrote:  
(04-01-2010 08:13 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Penders was fired.

He was given the option to resign, which he then did.
04-01-2010 10:22 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Doesn't every coach have an opportunity to resign? Some should, but don't. Some do.
04-01-2010 10:36 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
Yeah. Gillispie and those closed practices. Worked miracles.

And Mike Smith's injury had nothing to do with the way our season went?
04-02-2010 10:33 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2010 10:33 PM)ez272 Wrote:  Yeah. Gillispie and those closed practices. Worked miracles.

This was going to be a rebuilding year regardless, but with Mike we probably would have been close to .500. We lost a lot of close games that could have gone the other way with Svelte Mike.
04-03-2010 12:28 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2010 12:28 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(04-02-2010 10:33 PM)ez272 Wrote:  Yeah. Gillispie and those closed practices. Worked miracles.

This was going to be a rebuilding year regardless, but with Mike we probably would have been close to .500. We lost a lot of close games that could have gone the other way with Svelte Mike.

O.K. I'll buy your theory that we might have won a few more games with Mike. But why do we continue to have "rebuilding" years with a regine that's been here seven years. Shouldn't there always be good players in the pipeline that can step in a contribute to a winning team?
We're still ignoring the problem that we have consistently tried to fill in gaps every year with Jucos instead of being able to recruit good high schoolers that stay and become players who can contribute to winning championships in their last couple of years. It's like consistently trying to fix a leaky roof by patching it up instead of replacing the roof. At some point, you've got to bite the bullet and purchase a new roof.04-cheers
04-03-2010 09:41 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't understand why Dickey would be more attractive than "Sweet Tom"? Unless they were going with a young, energetic coach, what are they thinking? Penders took them to the NCAA this year. And he's forced to resign? Maybe there's something non basketball related that figured into this decision that we aren't privy to. That's the only thing I can figure. He had a pretty good record at Houston over the years. I guess those Elvin Hayes, Olajuoun years spoiled them too, just like the Nolan years spoiled Hog fans. Not many programs can sustain that type of success.04-cheers
04-03-2010 10:04 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Gillispie has supposedly undergone treatment for his alcohol problems, which got him into trouble, so I don't understand why someone wouldn't hire him. He's had great success wherever he's been. Maybe not enough for Kentucky, but that is not a realistic situation. Hell. Tubby Smith won a national championship and they rode him out of town. Maybe he's still drawing nice money from Kentucky and is in a position that he doesn't have to take a job unless it's one he really wants. I'd like to see him get another chance.04-cheers
04-03-2010 10:08 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(04-03-2010 09:41 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  But why do we continue to have "rebuilding" years with a regine that's been here seven years.

Even NC didn't make the NCAA this year with a roster loaded with McDonalds All-Americans. Every program has down years. And for them, with their resources, that was as far down in relative terms as we were this year.
04-03-2010 11:22 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2010 11:22 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(04-03-2010 09:41 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  But why do we continue to have "rebuilding" years with a regine that's been here seven years.

Even NC didn't make the NCAA this year with a roster loaded with McDonalds All-Americans. Every program has down years. And for them, with their resources, that was as far down in relative terms as we were this year.

I heard an analyst on the radio the other day talking about how it is inevitable that midmajors will have "down" seasons (okay, I know there are exceptions like Gonzago and Butler, if they are even midmajors). I can't remember the details of what was said, but basically he pointed out that most midmajors will peak when they have a senior laden team and then have a drop-off when those guys graduate. They are just not able to sign "impact" freshman like the BCS schools, but tend to bring in players that need to mature and develop. So it is envitable that they will have more ups and downs than most BCS schools.
04-03-2010 11:39 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-03-2010 11:39 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(04-03-2010 11:22 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  

I heard an analyst on the radio the other day talking about how it is inevitable that midmajors will have "down" seasons (okay, I know there are exceptions like Gonzago and Butler, if they are even midmajors). I can't remember the details of what was said, but basically he pointed out that most midmajors will peak when they have a senior laden team and then have a drop-off when those guys graduate. They are just not able to sign "impact" freshman like the BCS schools, but tend to bring in players that need to mature and develop. So it is envitable that they will have more ups and downs than most BCS schools.

So where were all the players we brought in that needed to mature and develop. We have that opportunity every season, and obviously they hadn't developed enough. It will be interesting to see how far down the women's team will fall after next season when all those seniors leave. I would bet that Foley will still have a respectable season the following year since he'll probably have players in the program who can step in without a complete collapse when he loses Chastity, etc. We'll see.04-cheers
04-03-2010 12:07 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Nick's a freshman and many want to ride him out of town...
04-04-2010 03:39 PM
Mr. Mediocrity Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UALR TROJANS
(04-04-2010 03:39 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Nick's a freshman and many want to ride him out of town...

Not I.
04-04-2010 09:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.