Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well Trojan, it's pretty obvious things will remain
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Well Trojan, it's pretty obvious things will remain
status quo in our men's program. 22 losses and an RPI of #301 in a seventh season without a postseason appearance is obviously acceptable to our administration. If that's the case, I'm trying to figure out what is unacceptable.03-banghead
03-29-2010 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: Well Trojan, it's pretty obvious things will remain
(03-29-2010 10:50 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  status quo in our men's program. 22 losses and an RPI of #301 in a seventh season without a postseason appearance is obviously acceptable to our administration. If that's the case, I'm trying to figure out what is unacceptable.03-banghead

Yes, and I'm about done with the men's program. Seven years of poor to mediocre basketball is not acceptable to me. I supported Shields for five years, and no sniff of a championship. If ULL's program gets back to the level of several years ago, it looks like it's going to be even tougher to compete. Now with New Orleans gone, and ASU and the two Florida schools getting better, I expect us to be settling near the bottom of the West.

Looks like the administration doesn't care that some fans want and expect a program that can compete for the Sun Belt championship. If they hadn't changed the rules, our men's team wouldn't have made it to Hot Springs this year. I'd just like to hear from Chris Peterson just how many years he's going to give Shields to produce. As long as nobody complains, I guess he's got a lifetime job. Our men's program has become a joke.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2010 11:43 AM by LRTrojan.)
03-29-2010 11:42 AM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(03-29-2010 11:42 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(03-29-2010 10:50 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  status quo in our men's program. 22 losses and an RPI of #301 in a seventh season without a postseason appearance is obviously acceptable to our administration. If that's the case, I'm trying to figure out what is unacceptable.03-banghead

Yes, and I'm about done with the men's program. Seven years of poor to mediocre basketball is not acceptable to me. I supported Shields for five years, and no sniff of a championship. If ULL's program gets back to the level of several years ago, it looks like it's going to be even tougher to compete. Now with New Orleans gone, and ASU and the two Florida schools getting better, I expect us to be settling near the bottom of the West.

Looks like the administration doesn't care that some fans want and expect a program that can compete for the Sun Belt championship. If they hadn't changed the rules, our men's team wouldn't have made it to Hot Springs this year. I'd just like to hear from Chris Peterson just how many years he's going to give Shields to produce. As long as nobody complains, I guess he's got a lifetime job. Our men's program has become a joke.

It's been a joke for 3 out of the last 5 years in the new building. The other two seemed like smoke and mirrors. Way to show the late, great philanthropist what you do with his investment in our program's future. Props to Foleyball, though. They are holding up their end of the deal.
03-29-2010 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2010 12:49 PM)Robert C Wrote:  

It's been a joke for 3 out of the last 5 years in the new building. The other two seemed like smoke and mirrors. Way to show the late, great philanthropist what you do with his investment in our program's future. Props to Foleyball, though. They are holding up their end of the deal.

I think the men's program will be on probation this year. The bar has been set by the women's program. If the men's program can't match it this year, it will have to force a decision.04-cheers
03-29-2010 03:22 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(03-29-2010 03:22 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  If the men's program can't match it this year, it will have to force a decision.

Tough decision. Either the 10 year extension, or the 15.

I'd go with the 15.
03-29-2010 03:42 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2010 03:22 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

I think the men's program will be on probation this year. The bar has been set by the women's program. If the men's program can't match it this year, it will have to force a decision.04-cheers

Obviously there must not be a bar for the men, and if there is one, and the women's team is the bar, then Shields should be gone. He isn't in Foley's league as a coach, but there aren't many that are.
03-29-2010 04:00 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2010 04:00 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(03-29-2010 03:22 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

Obviously there must not be a bar for the men, and if there is one, and the women's team is the bar, then Shields should be gone. He isn't in Foley's league as a coach, but there aren't many that are.

I'm not comparing one coach with the other. My only concern is that our men's program has not made real progress in 20 years on the court. Facilities, yes. Graduation rates. Yes. But where it really counts. No.
And the disappointing thing seems to be we're not doing anything to change it. I think seven years is more than a fair amount of time for any coach to meet certain goals, which we obviously haven't met. And I don't think our goals are unreasonable ones. To fail to make the NCAA tournament in 20 years should not ever be acceptable. But it seems like it is. One of our posters made the very on point statement "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and hoping for different results".
Truer words were never spoken.04-cheers
03-29-2010 04:27 PM
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

Maybe the goals have been met.

Nobody in the paper.
Graduating student-athletes.
Selling tickets.
03-29-2010 04:52 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(03-29-2010 04:52 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Maybe the goals have been met.

Nobody in the paper.
Graduating student-athletes.
Selling tickets.

So, 20-win seasons and posteason bids are just "gravy", right?

Screw it. This turkey NEEDS GRAVY and gallons of it!

That may be good for spectators and casual fans. (I'm not say that you are those things, Scotto--before anybody jumps me!) But what you say speaks of a real sore spot for people like me who are 100% committed fans. We want to win significant games. For this league that means defeating major OOC opponents, sweeping our rival and most importantly, WINNING the league tournament. Something we have not sniffed since 1996. We have all the tools in place except ONE. Someone who can use the tools to build a team that can WIN the big games. Shields has had seven years. Apparently he'll get one more (if he does not jump ship). Let's see if the "evil genius" can make it happen.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2010 05:07 PM by Robert C.)
03-29-2010 04:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

[Image: chickengravy.jpg]
03-29-2010 05:15 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2010 04:27 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I'm not comparing one coach with the other. My only concern is that our men's program has not made real progress in 20 years on the court. Facilities, yes. Graduation rates. Yes. But where it really counts. No.
And the disappointing thing seems to be we're not doing anything to change it. I think seven years is more than a fair amount of time for any coach to meet certain goals, which we obviously haven't met. And I don't think our goals are unreasonable ones. To fail to make the NCAA tournament in 20 years should not ever be acceptable. But it seems like it is. One of our posters made the very on point statement "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and hoping for different results".
Truer words were never spoken.04-cheers

I'd like to see your comparison of Shields and Foley. No comparison. End of the story. That's not a knock on Steve. There's a bunch of coaches who couldn't be compared in a positive way to Foley. As for going 20 years without a conference championship, well, Shields has been the coach for over one third of that time. Hasn't made the finals yet.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2010 06:54 PM by LRTrojan.)
03-29-2010 06:53 PM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
Unless they are very close buddies, I have to believe the AD would like to make a change I will give him the benefit, and say it's a matter of money, can't afford to buy out a contract. or, it could be Chris thinks he sees a light at end of the tunnel. Anyone know if the coach's contract was extended following last season? I would like to know how many years are left on the current contract.
03-29-2010 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.