Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pete Thamel's NCCA Tournament Picks (NY Times)
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Pete Thamel's NCCA Tournament Picks (NY Times)
I really like the way this guy thinks... 04-bow
The New York Times Wrote:Pete Thamel’s N.C.A.A. Tournament Picks
By PETE THAMEL
March 14, 2010, 11:29 pm

The Times’ Pete Thamel choose the teams he expects to advance to the Final Four and championship games in Indianapolis after a game-by-game analysis of round one and the regions in this year’s N.C.A.A. tournament.

EAST: This is the second-most-difficult region, but whether it or the Midwest is the toughest is a close call. Kentucky has seemingly found numerous teams to test its inexperience, as No. 8 Texas, No. 4 Wisconsin and No. 2 West Virginia are all matchup nightmares.

WEST VIRGINIA FLEXES MUSCLES

No. 1 Kentucky vs. No. 16 East Tennessee Enjoy Kentucky’s dunkfest and the subsequent fretting about the second round.

No. 8 Texas vs. No. 9 Wake Forest Two teams going nowhere fast, one has to win. Take Texas.

No. 5 Temple vs. No. 12 Cornell The Big Red finally has a winnable game after drawing Stanford and Missouri. Take Cornell because of experience and shooting.

No. 4 Wisconsin vs. No. 13 Wofford The Badgers have a unique style and great coaching, and could be dangerous.

No. 6 Marquette vs. No. 11 Washington Good draw for the Golden Eagles, whose biggest obstacle is the trip to San Jose.

No. 3 New Mexico vs. No. 14 Montana The Lobos are the surprise team this year. No surprises here; they roll.

No. 7 Clemson vs. No. 10 Missouri This game will be a reminder of how bad the A.C.C. was as a conference.

No. 2 West Virginia vs. No. 15 Morgan State Morgan is the best of the No. 15s, but West Virginia may be the best team, period.

UPSET SPECIAL:
This is probably the easiest upset to pick in the tournament. Clemson has been unspectacular all year and lost its last two games. Missouri’s style is as difficult as any in the country to prepare for. Look for Missouri guards Zaire Taylor and Kim English to control the pace.

SOUTH: Let the N.C.A.A. conspiracy theorists have a field day. Duke again appears to be overseeded, although it is tough to pick an early exit for the Blue Devils considering how weak the rest of their bracket is. Baylor is tantalizing here, but its coaching and big-game experience remain questions.

WILL DUKE SHOW IT’S WORTHY?

No. 1 Duke vs. No. 16 Winthrop or Arkansas-Pine Bluff Either way, Duke will roll here. Being overseeded comes into play later.

No. 8 California vs. No. 9 Louisville This is an easy “upset” as Louisville has more talent and depth.

No. 5 Texas A&M vs. No. 12 Utah State It’s hard to pull the trigger on Utah State because the Aggies have not played anyone.

No. 4 Purdue vs. No. 13 Siena Didn’t like the Saints too much this year, but this draw makes them too hard not to pick.

No. 6 Notre Dame vs. No. 11 Old Dominion Notre Dame will meet a team that plays its new style. Monarchs win a close one.

No. 3 Baylor vs. No. 14 Sam Houston The Bears will roll early on here. They’re one of the country’s most surprising teams.

No. 7 Richmond vs. No. 10 St. Mary’s Richmond’s style is so hard to prepare for. Cross-country trip hurts St. Mary’s, too.

No. 2 Villanova vs. No. 15 Robert Morris This game will be closer than expected, but ’Nova’s guards are too good.

UPSET SPECIAL:
This will be a popular pick. Siena and its star, Edwin Ubiles, have won games in the past two N.C.A.A. tournaments, and Purdue folded in the Big Ten tournament. The Saints bring experience, savvy and good coaching. But they are not as talented as last year’s team, which beat Ohio State.

MIDWEST: Bill Self will get Kansas ready for this gantlet, which should include a scary game against Northern Iowa in the second round and a brutal Round of 16 matchup against No. 4 Maryland or No. 5 Michigan State. Raise your hand if you want to see Gary Williams or Tom Izzo in the N.C.A.A. tournament.

KANSAS FACES TOUGH ROAD

No. 1 Kansas vs. No 16 Lehigh Bill Self has a tortured experience with the Patriot League, after a loss to Bucknell.

No. 8 U.N.L.V. vs. No. 9 Northern Iowa Expect defensive-minded Northern Iowa to win an ugly game, keeping the score low.

No. 5 Michigan State vs. No. 12 New Mexico State Tom Izzo is probably miffed that his team is seeded this low.

No. 4 Maryland vs. No. 13 Houston The Cougars are hot, but Gary Williams has the game’s best player, Greivis Vasquez.

No. 6 Tennessee vs. No. 11 San Diego State The Vols are talented enough for a deep run but are inconsistent and lack depth.

No. 3 Georgetown vs. No. 14 Ohio A great early draw for the Hoyas against Ohio, which won as the No. 9 seed in the MAC.

No. 7 Oklahoma State vs. No. 10 Georgia Tech As tough a pick as there is in the field. Go with the Yellow Jackets.

No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 15 U.C.-Santa Barbara Ohio State’s Evan Turner, the best player in the country, is playing his best.

UPSET SPECIAL:
San Diego State, seeded 11th, is hot, having won the Mountain West tournament. Tennessee is cold, after being blown away by Kentucky. It’s a smart gamble for a bracket, because neither will get by Georgetown in the second round. The Aztecs are led by the veteran coach Steve Fisher.

WEST: Buffalo isn’t a bad place for Syracuse to land. The Orange knew it would be placed outside the East because the Carrier Dome is hosting the East Regional. If Syracuse reaches the Round of 16, expect a funky matchup with No. 4 Vanderbilt; No. 5 Butler is vulnerable.

SYRACUSE SHOULD ROLL

No. 1 Syracuse vs. No. 16 Vermont This matchup calls to mind the great Vermont upset from 2005. No chance this time.

No. 8 Gonzaga vs. No. 9 Florida State Florida State is more athletic and tougher. Gonzaga has been tough to trust in March.

No. 5 Butler vs. No. 12 UTEP The Miners have B.C.S.-level talent in Randy Culpepper and Derrick Caracter.

No. 4 Vanderbilt vs. No. 13 Murray State Very tempting to pick the go-go Racers, but expect Vandy to hold on.

No. 6 Xavier vs. No. 11 Minnesota Hard to distinguish which of these teams is in a non-B.C.S. league. Look for X to roll.

No. 3 Pittsburgh vs. No. 14 Oakland The Panthers are a tough read. No problems here, though.

No. 7 B.Y.U. vs. No. 10 Florida Why did Florida make the tournament? It can answer while packing its bags after this game.

No. 2 Kansas State vs. No. 15 North Texas The Wildcats should have no problem, but lack of big-game experience could hurt.

UPSET SPECIAL:
No. 5 Butler has the nation’s longest winning streak. No. 12 UTEP lost its conference title game and barely sneaked into the field. But the Miners have more talent than any team Butler has seen in months. The Bulldogs struggled against major-conference teams like Georgetown, Minnesota and Clemson.

NATIONAL SEMIFINALS:
Look for the Big East, the best league all year, to get Syracuse, West Virginia and Villanova to Indianapolis. Kansas, the country’s best team, will join them.

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:
West Virginia’s long and tricky 1-3-1 zone will stymie Kansas on Monday night. The trophy is hoisted to “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”
03-16-2010 02:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: Pete Thamel's NCCA Tournament Picks (NY Times)
Love the respect the Big East is getting nationwide. Many have 3 teams in the Elite 8 usually WVU, SU, and either Nova or G'Town as the other with at least 2 of them going to the Final Four.

I'm hoping SU gets to the Elite 8/Final Four, but Onuaku, who is our best inside scorer, being out will hurt.

I think we survive Buffalo, but am worried about our Sweet 16 game which will either be Vandy, Butler, or UTEP. Need Onuaku back by then at least at 60% to likely survive that game.

Cheers,
Neil
03-16-2010 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Chris, anybody who picks WVU to win it all gets kudos from me for impeccable taste... 04-cheers
03-16-2010 05:54 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Kansas is not the best team in the country. Why do people think that. What is kansas's signature win this season? KSU? What is the biggest win KSU had this year? KSU has beat nobody all year- played nobody all year. Doesn't mean thay are not good just means they have played no one all year but Kansas. Kansas played nobody special but KSU. Kansas lost to Tenn and KSU lost to Mississippi.

I say they are both over-rated. You heard it here first.

Name the biggest win for each team KU and KSU this year? See what I mean.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2010 06:02 PM by frogman.)
03-16-2010 05:54 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I guess he's going with the hot team coming out of The BEast tourney...
03-16-2010 06:17 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
(03-16-2010 05:54 PM)frogman Wrote:  Kansas is not the best team in the country. Why do people think that. What is kansas's signature win this season? KSU? What is the biggest win KSU had this year? KSU has beat nobody all year- played nobody all year. Doesn't mean thay are not good just means they have played no one all year but Kansas. Kansas played nobody special but KSU. Kansas lost to Tenn and KSU lost to Mississippi.

I will be sure to bump this when Kansas wins the whole thing.
03-16-2010 06:42 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(03-16-2010 06:42 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(03-16-2010 05:54 PM)frogman Wrote:  Kansas is not the best team in the country. Why do people think that. What is kansas's signature win this season? KSU? What is the biggest win KSU had this year? KSU has beat nobody all year- played nobody all year. Doesn't mean thay are not good just means they have played no one all year but Kansas. Kansas played nobody special but KSU. Kansas lost to Tenn and KSU lost to Mississippi.

I will be sure to bump this when Kansas wins the whole thing.
I imagine frogman will bump this if they don't...
03-16-2010 07:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
It's great fun reading and arguing about tourney picks and brackets, but the bottom line is that it's all just opinion and fortunately, unlike in college football, where the opinion of media and 'analysts' can actually determine who gets to play for the title, it will all be settled on the court starting today and we'll know soon enough whose opinions were right or not.

So unlike say during football season, where if someone thinks that USF should be ranked 20th and i think they should be ranked 10th i will argue about it because opinions really do count, if someone has Georgetown being an early upset-special loser in the NCAA tourney, i won't bother to debate them because it's all meaningless. We'll just see what happens.

fwiw, i have GT advancing to the sweet 16 round, lol.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2010 05:43 AM by quo vadis.)
03-18-2010 05:41 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.