Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
How exactly did Nova get rated higher then WVU?
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
How exactly did Nova get rated higher then WVU?
Crazy...Nova gets Duke and we get Kentucky?

Jackson
03-14-2010 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: How exactly did Nova get rated higher then WVU?
That's okay. We'll just have to beat Kentucky to get the respect we deserve... 05-mafia
03-14-2010 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
SilverPhoenix Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CAA, A10, BE
Say this with me.

2 Seeds aren't seeded. 2 Seeds only get Pod and Regional Protection (should they deserve it.), which may be worth more than a 1 seed in certain situations. Case in point, Syracuse!

Also, West Virginia got the Carrier Dome, Villanova goes to Houston to possibly face a team from freaking Waco. Please tell me you didn't want Duke so badly, that you would give up THOSE friendly confines?
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2010 05:49 PM by SilverPhoenix.)
03-14-2010 05:45 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I don't care who WVU plays. Whoever it is will lose... 05-mafia
03-14-2010 05:54 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
SYR plays the first two rounds in Buffalo. That can't be Buffalo NY and by West they mean western NY.
I'm sorta stupid. Somebody help me out here. Where we going?
03-14-2010 05:56 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Syracuse's regional is in Salt Lake City, Utah...
03-14-2010 05:58 PM
Advertisement

uvaeer Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(03-14-2010 05:56 PM)frogman Wrote:  SYR plays the first two rounds in Buffalo. That can't be Buffalo NY and by West they mean western NY.
I'm sorta stupid. Somebody help me out here. Where we going?

The regionals are based on where the regional final is.
03-14-2010 06:04 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
nova isnt ahead of wvu it isnt done by s cuve only they go geography too
03-14-2010 08:17 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(03-14-2010 05:45 PM)SilverPhoenix Wrote:  Say this with me.

2 Seeds aren't seeded. 2 Seeds only get Pod and Regional Protection (should they deserve it.), which may be worth more than a 1 seed in certain situations. Case in point, Syracuse!

Also, West Virginia got the Carrier Dome, Villanova goes to Houston to possibly face a team from freaking Waco. Please tell me you didn't want Duke so badly, that you would give up THOSE friendly confines?

The entire field is ranked 1-65. So all seeds are theoretically "seeded", since those ranked 5-8 are the two seeds in order of how the committee sees them.

The geography and other considerations are what creates the S-curve since as they keep filling the slots they are keeping track of the total of the rankings to make sure no one region is way "over-seeded".

Your point about WVU getting both Buffalo and the Carrier Dome was indeed the trade-off for being bumped a little by the S-curve factors.

Cheers,
Neil
03-14-2010 09:11 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
I was reading the WVU Scout board and everybody is whining about this there, too. You get to play your first two games in Buffalo and your next two games in Syracuse. Those are easy drives for your fans. What the heck are you complaining about?
03-15-2010 05:22 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
(03-15-2010 05:22 AM)zibby Wrote:  I was reading the WVU Scout board and everybody is whining about this there, too. You get to play your first two games in Buffalo and your next two games in Syracuse. Those are easy drives for your fans. What the heck are you complaining about?

It's the default mode of the fan base. Seriously. Many WVU fans always believe they are constantly getting screwed whether that's the case or not.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2010 10:40 AM by MichaelSavage.)
03-15-2010 10:39 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(03-15-2010 10:39 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(03-15-2010 05:22 AM)zibby Wrote:  I was reading the WVU Scout board and everybody is whining about this there, too. You get to play your first two games in Buffalo and your next two games in Syracuse. Those are easy drives for your fans. What the heck are you complaining about?
It's the default mode of the fan base. Seriously. Many WVU fans always believe they are constantly getting screwed whether that's the case or not.
MS, WVU got screwed. If you put WVU and Duke's schedules, RPI, and SOS side by side, the only statistic of Duke's that exceeds WVU's is their won-loss record, and that just barely. WVU's RPI and SOS is so much higher than Duke's its not even funny. Then the committee compounds the error by making the #2 seed in Duke's region Villanova, a team that finished the season 2-5. So Duke gets the #1 seed in the weakest region of all. Then the committe puts WVU in Kentucky's East region. Oddly enough, both of the teams to beat Kansas during the regular season are in the Midwest region, where Kansas is the #1 seed. Am I the only one seeing a pattern here?

I don't know about you guys. But I'm not stupid. IMO, the selection committee was trying to pave a freeway for Duke to the Final Four. I hope they failed miserably, and all ACC teams get booted by round 2...
03-15-2010 11:07 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Sounds like there seeded to me...but I'm sure you know more about basketball then Huggins

Jackson

WVU none too happy with No. 2
Mountaineers feel slighted by NCAA tournament seeding
MORGANTOWN - Da'Sean Butler and his teammates sat in a hotel ballroom Sunday evening hoping for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

They didn't get it.

In truth, though, that might be for the best. Because as it turns out, the Big East tournament champion Mountaineers were actually snubbed beyond just the No. 1 seeds, dropping all the way to the third No. 2 seed in the tournament.

Talk about incentive.

"It's really not that big a deal,'' Butler said. "Now we just have to prove that we deserved to be a No. 1 seed.''

Or at least the top No. 2 seed.

"It's just like my freshman year when we were the last team left out [of the NCAA tournament field],'' Butler said. "We went into the NIT with a chip on our shoulders and something to prove. I think we have something to prove again.''

When the pairings were announced Sunday night, West Virginia was placed as a No. 2 seed in the East Regional. The Mountaineers (27-6) were assigned to the Buffalo first-round site and will face No. 15 seed Morgan State (27-9) on Friday. The game will be the first of the day, tipping off at 12:15 p.m. at HSBC Arena.

If West Virginia wins that game, it would stay in Buffalo for a Sunday game against the winner of the first-round matchup between No. 7 seed Clemson (21-10) and No. 10 seed Missouri (22-10). The survivor there moves on to the Sweet 16 site at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. The top seed in the region is Kentucky, while the No. 3 is New Mexico and the No. 4 is Wisconsin. If the higher-seeded teams all win - which, of course, seldom happens - the Sweet 16 matchups would be WVU-New Mexico and Kentucky-Wisconsin.

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins wasn't complaining about the matchups because he figures most of the time that's just the luck of the draw. And, as he said last week, often times the look of the draw can change dramatically from one round to the next because of the inevitable upsets.

Still, Huggins was miffed that his team slipped all the way to the third No. 2 seed after seemingly putting itself in contention for a No. 1 seed with a Big East tournament championship. But Kansas State was the top No. 2 seed and Villanova slipped in as the second No. 2 ahead of the Mountaineers. That despite West Virginia's RPI ranking of No. 4 and the No. 3 strength of schedule in the country. Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Syracuse were the four No. 1 seeds, in that order, with respective RPI rankings of 1, 2, 3 and 5.

"I thought statistically we were a No. 1,'' Huggins said. "The disappointing thing is when they stand up there and say, 'Let's look at the full body of work.' If you look at the full body of work we were probably a one. But I didn't think we were going to be a one. I thought we were going to be a two. But to be the third two, I don't understand that.''

The most baffling thing about the seeds was West Virginia being placed behind Villanova. Kansas State had the No. 6 RPI and the second-toughest schedule in the country. And playing in a different conference (Big 12), comparisons are difficult.

But Villanova was No. 10 in the RPI, had just the No. 22 schedule, lost five of its last seven games - including a home loss to West Virginia - and was beaten in the first game of the Big East tournament. The Wildcats also had a worse overall record (24-7) and finished with the same league mark as the Mountaineers. The teams tied for second in the Big East with Pitt, and WVU won the league's tie-breaker over Villanova for the No. 3 seed.

Still, sometimes the seeds don't matter all that much when looking at the brackets. But the slip did move West Virginia out of the regions with the two lowest top seeds - Duke and Syracuse - and into the bracket led by Kentucky, the second No. 1 seed behind Kansas.

As a result, if West Virginia wins its opener against Morgan State, the Mountaineers will face a pressing team in either Missouri or Clemson. And that's something the Mountaineers have had trouble with at times.

"In the second round we're going to have to handle the press, which we've done a pretty good job of lately,'' Huggins said. "But [either team] is going to press for 40 minutes.''

Morgan State earned its trip to the tournament by beating South Carolina State, 68-61, in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament. The Bears own a win over Arkansas in Fayetteville earlier this season, but in their other three games against power conference teams they fell by nine at Louisville, by 30 at Minnesota and by 16 at Baylor. All three of those teams are in the NCAA tournament.

Morgan State also lost 75-66 in a Bracket Buster game late last month against Murray State, another NCAA tournament team.

The Bears are coached by Todd Bozeman, the former California coach who in Berkeley had Jason Kidd on his roster. Huggins coached against Bozeman and Cal while Huggins was at Cincinnati.

"I know Todd Bozeman very well. That's about it,'' Huggins said when asked about his knowledge of Morgan State basketball. "I don't know anything about their players, but I [coached] against Todd when he was at Cal and had Jason Kidd and those guys. ... We guarded them a lot better after [Kidd] left, by the way.''
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2010 11:11 AM by Jackson1011.)
03-15-2010 11:10 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Screw Duke and Dickie V. That's always been my sentiment. It always will be...
03-15-2010 11:24 AM
SilverPhoenix Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CAA, A10, BE
(03-15-2010 11:10 AM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  

Sounds like there seeded to me...but I'm sure you know more about basketball then Huggins.

Wow, seriously? Okay, I was wrong on my first point, I can admit that. I was trying to make the point that you got a better road than Villanova got. Kentucky or not, you have the superior coach and the Athletic factors to beat Kentucky. Not to mention the Home Court Advantage. The Carrier Dome is a Big East Court, you'll have more than enough fans to cheer you on.

That's what I was trying to say. Take it or leave it, it makes no difference to me.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2010 11:28 AM by SilverPhoenix.)
03-15-2010 11:28 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
WVU beat 5 RPI top 25 teams, Duke only beat 1.

WVU was 7-4 in true road games, Duke was 5-5

WVU beat Georgetown...TWICE, Duke was absolutely throttled by Georgetown

WVU beat 2 seed Ohio State.

What is Duke's best win? A home win over Maryland?

My problem with Duke is they benefited from playing in an ACC that was very average. No one in that conference is a top 15 caliber team...whereas in the Big East there are 4 or 5 top 15 caliber teams (on top of WVU beating Ohio State away from home).

WVU proved they were an elite team by beating elite teams...Duke did not
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2010 11:52 AM by bearcatmark.)
03-15-2010 11:52 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

WVU has 18 top 100 RPI wins, the most such wins of any school in the nation. What does Duke, or any other school for that matter, have to compare with that stat?
03-15-2010 12:03 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
If any coach should be complaining it's Bill Self. How is it possible for the top overall seed to get Georgetown, Ohio State, Maryland and Tennessee in their bracket?

And another thing....taking out the No.1 seeds the South is the weakest, but when you put Duke in there, you realize it is tough for THEM, very athletic teams in that region with Louisville, Villanova, Purdue and Baylor. So it is more balanced then people think.
03-15-2010 12:10 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(03-15-2010 12:16 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(03-15-2010 12:03 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WVU has 18 top 100 RPI wins, the most such wins of any school in the nation. What does Duke, or any other school for that matter, have to compare with that stat?
Ummm... Duke has 18 too.
No they don't, Chris. Nobody in the nation, except WVU has 18 wins over teams with RPI rating of 99 or better, especially not Duke...
03-15-2010 12:44 PM
Yosemite Panther Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
(03-15-2010 12:44 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(03-15-2010 12:16 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(03-15-2010 12:03 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WVU has 18 top 100 RPI wins, the most such wins of any school in the nation. What does Duke, or any other school for that matter, have to compare with that stat?
Ummm... Duke has 18 too.
No they don't, Chris. Nobody in the nation, except WVU has 18 wins over teams with RPI rating of 99 or better, especially not Duke...

I hate Duke just as much as the next person, but according to realtimerpi.com, Duke DOES have 18 wins over teams 99 or higher, see link http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_123_Men.html

WVU has 18 also, according to this site, Pitt only has 14 03-weeping
03-15-2010 01:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.