Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Is UC going to fire Mick Cronin?
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Is UC going to fire Mick Cronin?
Another disappointing year. What's it take for this guy to get canned? He's clearly not the answer when it comes to resurrecting a once proud program.
03-08-2010 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Is UC going to fire Mick Cronin?
He's getting another year.
03-08-2010 07:59 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
The AD says he is back for year 5, he said that one day before GTown beat us by 27.
I fully expect Rutgers to beat us. Never heard a coach use more excuses than Cronin.
Former Xavier Coach Sean Miller and current Coach Chris Mack have made fun of Cronin
within the past couple of weeks.

UC down the stretch under Mick
'06-07: 1-11 in last 12
'07-08: 0-7 in last 7...including CBI loss
'08-09: 1-6 in last 7...including losing final four games
'09-10: have lost 6 of last 7 and 7 of the last 9
Mick is 0-12 in March at UC
2006-07: 0-1
2007-08: 0-5
2008-09: 0-4
2009-10: 0-2

UC basketball under Mick Cronin
Season..Record..Conf.....RPI....SOS
2006-07: 11-19.....2-14......197......47
2007-08: 13-18.....8-10......118.....11
2008-09: 18-14.....8-10.......84......44
2009-10: 16-14.....7-11.......67......11
03-08-2010 08:00 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Some theories have it that Deonta Vaughn has been a cancer, both on the court and in the locker room. They claim there will be better chemistry next year. That's fine, but where is the basketball skill? You still need to account for that. None of the guys he's recruited has made any sort of significant improvement under Cronin, most notably, the four juniors in his 2007 recruiting class, only one (Bishop) who really figures into the rotation.

And I'm sure Yancy Gates isn't on a "toughness biorithim" solely due to Vaughn.

On the bright side, Lance Stevenson is around for another year 04-rock
03-08-2010 08:21 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Fading down the stretch like that every year tends to make one think it's more of a conditioning issue than anything else. It could be the team's chemistry, and it could be that the staff just isn't teaching these kids what they need to compete. I guess we'll find out which in time...
03-08-2010 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-08-2010 09:23 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Fading down the stretch like that every year tends to make one think it's more of a conditioning issue than anything else. It could be the team's chemistry, and it could be that the staff just isn't teaching these kids what they need to compete. I guess we'll find out which in time...

They players are not developing at all, they don't get better. Talent and experience isn't the issue as it was the first 2 years.
03-08-2010 09:47 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(03-08-2010 09:47 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(03-08-2010 09:23 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Fading down the stretch like that every year tends to make one think it's more of a conditioning issue than anything else. It could be the team's chemistry, and it could be that the staff just isn't teaching these kids what they need to compete. I guess we'll find out which in time...
They players are not developing at all, they don't get better. Talent and experience isn't the issue as it was the first 2 years.
If you want to be technical, the team gets worse as the season wears on and it becomes appearant that UC isn't able to compete with the top teams. They just fade away down the stretch. And if memory serves me correctly, UC's schedule hasn't been nearly as heavily backloaded as WVU's has been in the last 4 years...
03-08-2010 10:17 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
(03-08-2010 08:00 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Former Xavier Coach Sean Miller and current Coach Chris Mack have made fun of Cronin within the past couple of weeks.

I missed this. What was said from the XU guys?
03-08-2010 10:58 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-08-2010 10:58 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(03-08-2010 08:00 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Former Xavier Coach Sean Miller and current Coach Chris Mack have made fun of Cronin within the past couple of weeks.

I missed this. What was said from the XU guys?

Sean Miller is coaching Arizona, he said I came from a place where another coach always made excuses for losing.........and Chris Mack "# Ya know what i love about our guys and our program?? When we lose, we make NO excuses. Improve not blame. Some don't get it. Hahahaha 6:19 PM Mar 6th via mobile web" http://twitter.com/CoachChrisMack
03-08-2010 12:10 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

No Pac Tin coach has done enough this year to talk any smack. If I was Sean Miller, I'd be the last one to talk sh!t...
03-08-2010 12:28 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Thanks Cat. I was aware that Miller had left, but didn't hear what he and Mack said.
03-08-2010 02:31 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-08-2010 02:31 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Thanks Cat. I was aware that Miller had left, but didn't hear what he and Mack said.

Mick started the cat fight by mentioning the A-10 in a negative light.
03-08-2010 05:32 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
There's a school of thought out there that UC fans wouldn't dislike Mick as much as they do, and they'd collectively give him a longer leash, if he reached out to the fans on occasion and didn't make such juvenile, douchebaggish statements all the time.

Blaming refs for losses.

Blaming the conference for being tough.

Blaming our team of 18-22 year olds for being young.

A year later blaming them for inexperience.

Claiming players like Larry Davis are world-beaters in practice after they lay goose-egg after goose-egg when it counts.

Unnecessarily talking trash about the Atlantic Ten.

Claiming the other team was in more of a must-win situation than we were, therefore they played out of their minds.

Claiming the players are tired from the long season (I swear I saw that one somewhere in the past four years).

I don't necessarily agree with that school of thought, but I can certainly understand it. Hell, here's a blurb from the Enquirer from this afternoon:

-----------
An interesting exchange today at Mick Cronin’s press conference between him and Channel 5’s George Vogel, who asked the UC coach to address critics who say Yancy Gates hasn’t gotten any better and that Gates should be more of a force in the low post.

“I don’t know how fair that is,” Cronin said. “ Who says he’s supposed to be a force? There’s a lot of guys that could be this or could be that. The challenge is to get them to where they are. But at the end of the day we are who we are."

[...]

Here’s what Mick said about Gates when he signed with UC November, 2007:

“Yancy is one of the most athletic players you’ll ever see that’s 6-9, 260 pounds. He’s very quick off his feet and he’s got tremendous hands. He’s still learning to play with his back to the basket and developing his low-post game, but he’s a big-time player. He’s the most talented big man in Cincinnati since LaSalle Thompson.”

--------------------
03-08-2010 05:41 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I can't believe he said that about Gates. Huggins has said several times that Gates is one of the most talented big men in the league, and a force. And if anybody knows about quality big men it's Bob Huggins.
03-08-2010 06:07 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC

it's harder for teams to be succesfl in a stronger league......
03-08-2010 08:28 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-08-2010 08:28 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  

it's harder for teams to be succesfl in a stronger league......

Huggins made the transition to the big east just fine, so did Marquette, so did Louisville. UC used to be a power basketball program, our BOT screwed it up and then hired an excuse meister. He has recruited fine but he can't develop players or command respect. Huggins would have Gates dominating other teams, much more athletic than Danny Fortson and stronger than KMart.
UC will keep Mick around another year and fire him, then the new coach will have to recruit 6-7 players and be behind the 8 ball. UC doesn't hustle and play hard that is 100% on the coach.
03-08-2010 08:41 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Cronin: Bar set too high for Gates

By Paul Dehner Jr., CNATI.com Posted March 8, 2010 5:10 PM ET

The curious case of Yancy Gates took another interesting turn on Monday.

[Image: ucmiamigates-thumb-485x340-926.jpg]

Only, this time it wasn't due to a dominant double-double performance followed by an uninspired 20-minute letdown. Or even another game where the 6-foot-9, 260-pound sophomore goes without a defensive rebound.

The latest explanation for why Gates has not developed into the powerful force many thought he would be comes from the sophomore's own head coach.

And the comments were more unpredictable than Gates' play.

"Who says he's supposed to be a force?" Cronin responded to a question as to why Gates hasn't developed into a force inside.

From there, what began as an honest assessment of where the development of his low-post presence was at, turned into Cronin questioning whether Gates was ever as good as recruiting services and the such claimed he was supposed to be in the first place.

He even referred to Gates' "so-called potential," at one point.

"Yancy was not a dominant player at Withrow High School," Cronin said. "He averaged seven rebounds a game. Check your stats. Yancy has been a guy that is a project. He has got talent but he is a project. He continues to be one."

He may have only averaged seven rebounds a game as a four-year starter in high school at Hughes and Withrow, but his junior and senior seasons he averaged a double-double. He had 21.2 points and 10.5 rebounds a game as a senior and 19.0 points and 10.0 rebounds as a junior for the Tigers, according to the UC media guide. He was the AP Division I Player of the Year his senior season.

There were questions about his consistency in high school, but even with those, he still was a four-star recruit by Scout.com and five-star by Rivals.com. Cronin believes those services themselves have played a role Gates' mentality.

"There are a lot of guys that could be this or could be that," Cronin said. "At the end of the day, we are who we are.

"That is the problem with the whole ranking system of recruits. It is hardest on a guy like Yancy. Because other guys don't have the expectation levels because they don't have the five stars next to their name. That is the biggest problem. The star system doesn't exist like it does for a guy like Yancy or even Lance (Stephenson)."

Cronin doesn't know if those expectations were fair, that they were a source of stress and inferred they were a reason for some of Gates' issues.

He finished the regular season averaging 10.5 points and six rebounds a game. Those numbers are about the same as his freshman season were he averaged 10.6 points and 6.1 rebounds.

"Because of his so-called potential that people have bestowed upon him, it brings stress to his situation," Cronin said. "He has to do the best he can do and I got to live with that. My job is to make sure he is giving me his best effort and has a great attitude. That is all I can do. At times, he gives me sophomore effort. There is a different between sophomore effort and senior effort."

Often a parallel connection is attempted by fans or the media between Gates and UC legend Danny Fortson. Both were of similar body types and came highly recruited. It's one Cronin says he hears all the time.

Fortson finished as the third-leading scorer in UC history and did so in only three seasons. He went from averaging 15.1 points as a freshman to 20.1 points as a sophomore and 21.3 as a junior. The 6-7, 260-pounder moved from averaging 7.6 boards as a freshman to 9.6 as a sophomore.

Again, Cronin says those comparisons are unfair.

"I watched Danny Fortson get 60 points, repeatedly, in AAU games. I am not exaggerating. I am talking 63 against Riverside Chruch: Ron Artest, Adonal Foyle and Mark Blount, three NBA guys. I watched him get 63 on those guys. The guy scored in his sleep.

"You can work on a guy with his free throws and his footwork, but at the end of the day you can't make players somebody you are not...So, the problem with Yancy is people want him to be something he is not. He has to worry about being Yancy Gates."

The most interesting element about all of this line of thinking which claims Gates was never as good as everyone claimed he could be or that the level of expectations were set too high considering his " so-called potential," is that, well, Cronin was one of the people setting the bar that high only two years ago.

In Dan Hoard's blog in early 2008, during Gates' senior season at Withrow, Hoard quoted Cronin in reference to Gates as one of the premier talents he's seen.

Hoard set it up by asking if Cronin had ever seen anybody that big and strong.

"No and it's not even close," said Cronin, who has recruited eight NBA draft picks to college basketball and had six of his recruiting classes ranked in the Top 10 by national publications. "He's the most talented big guy that I've ever recruited. For a coach it's exciting because he's got everything that you can't teach. Everything that Yancy needs are things that can be taught."

How things have changed.

=============================================
Full transcript of Cronin conversation about Yancy Gates

Director's Cut: Cronin on Gates
By Paul Dehner Jr. on March 8, 2010 5:21 PM

I tried to stuff as much of what Cronin said about Yancy Gates and his untapped "so-called potential" into the feature story on the site, but there are other intersting elements and context that go with it I think are worth a read, which includes Cronin taking a jab at the career of Melvin Levett out of left field.

Here is the full transcript of all that was said and was buoyed in a question and answer with Channel 5's George Vogel in the final six minutes of Monday's media sessions with Mick Cronin:

George: Yancy, people feel like he hasn't blossomed at all, hasn't gotten much better, hasn't become the force people expect him to be because of his..

MC: I don't know how fair that is. Who says he's supposed to be a force?

GV: I think he could be when I look at him...

MC: You been doing sports long enough to know there are a lot of guys that could be this or could be that. You know the challenge is to get them to where they are. At the end of the day, we are who we are. We have to try to get better every day. You look and say this guy, Edgar Sosa, could have been the best point guard in the Big East. Edgar Sosa, just tried to get better every year and has had a good senior year. That is the problem with the whole ranking system of recruits. It is hardest on a guy like Yancy. Because other guys don't have the expectation levels because they don't have the firve stars next to their name. That is the biggest problem. The star system doesn't exist like it does for a guy lke Yancy or even lance.

Lance, I don't know what is going to happen. My guess, Lance has a pretty good chance to be Freshman of the ear in the Big East. But you talk to certain people and it is what is wrong with Lance? It is because of expectation levels.

Yancy was not a dominant player at Withrow High School. He averaged seven rebounds a game. Check your stats.Yancy has been a guy that is a project. He has got talent but he is a project. He continues to be one. He is well aware of that. He challenges himself. Can you try to get him to continue to get better? That is part of the process.

GV: You feel you can?

MC: I don't have the magic wand. All you can do, coaching a guy is one thing. You can't make somebody something you are not. You can try to hep them, develop them, footwork, things of that nature, but there is only so much you can do at a certain point in time. You can work on a guy with his free throws and teach his footwork, but at the end of the day you can't make players somebody you are not. Let's just be honest about it. Danny Fortson is Danny Fortson. I hear people say, Yancy is not Danny Fortson. I watched Danny Fortson get 60 points, repeatedly, in AAU games. I am not exaggerating. I am talking 63 against Riverside Chruch: Ron Artest, Adonal Foyle and Mark Blount, three NBA guys. I watched him get 63 on those guys. The guy scored in his sleep.

So, the problem with Yancy is people want him to be something he is not. He has to worry about being Yancy Gates. Again, the stress again. He has to worry about being the best guy Yancy Gates can be and make sure he is giving the best effort.

GV: You are satisfied with that effort? I am saying across the board, you didn't see a drop off in the second half at Georgetown?

MC: When you can't score, George, when you go on a run of missing eight straight free throws and can't put the ball in the basket at Georgetwon and they are on fire in the second half of the game, you can talk about effort all you want, effort don't get the ball in the basket. You got to get the ball in the basket. That is a different story. Playing hard, practice habits, committment off the floor, diet, training, they are all learned skills guys go through.

You can go back through annals of college basketball players, you can pick Bearcats. Did Melvin Levett reach his potential? He was a five-star guy. Did this guy? Did that guy? As a coach, you do everything you can to reach their potential. Yancy is better with his practice habits. He is better with a lot of things. Is he where I want him to be? No. Is he where he wants himself to be? No. So, but it is not a magic wand you can wave.

Because of his so-called potential that people have bestowed upon him, it brings stress to his situation. He has to do the best he can do and I got to live with that. My job is to make sure he is giving me his best effort and has a great attttude. That is all I can do. At times, he gives me sophomore effort. There is a difference between sophomore effort and senior effort.

http://cnati.com/college/cronin-bar-set-...es-001461/
03-08-2010 09:14 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
You don't fire a guy who has had winning records while having just one single four year player go through the system. You have to at least let his second recruiting class play their senior year before you pull the trigger.
03-08-2010 09:30 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-08-2010 09:30 PM)subflea Wrote:  You don't fire a guy who has had winning records while having just one single four year player go through the system. You have to at least let his second recruiting class play their senior year before you pull the trigger.

Depends on who the boss is.
03-08-2010 09:35 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
He should be on the hot seat. His late season collapses are becoming an annual event. In a conference with guys like Boeheim, Calhoun, Pitino, Huggins, Dixon, Wright, etc. Cronin doesn't stack up.
03-08-2010 09:35 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.