bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
BIG EAST Tournament Travel Guide
Interesting article here... 04-cheers
WV Illustrated Wrote:BIG EAST Tournament Travel Guide
By Heather Richardson for wvillustrated.com
March 7, 2010

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The annual BIG EAST tournament is right around the corner, and Bob Huggins and his entourage of hoop talent isn’t the only group looking forward to donning their “I heart NY” t-shirts for the trip to Madison Square Garden.

The Tournament is always a big draw for West Virginia fans near and far, no matter the team’s ranking. But this year, a Top 10 team has given Mountaineer Nation plenty of reasons to cheer—and pack their bags for the Big Apple.

The WVU Alumni Association has prepared accordingly for next week’s BIG EAST Tournament celebration with annual events for those making the trek to support the team.

As the excitement around the team has grown, so have our numbers,” said WVU Alumni Association chapter outreach director Gregg Cave. “It’s giving us a great opportunity to reach out to more alumni. It’s an exciting time to be a Mountaineer.”

Every year, the WVU Alumni Association partners with the New York and New Jersey Metro Alumni Chapter to host the WVU BIG EAST Reception, which offers food, beverages, raffles, and prizes to fans making the trip to Madison Square Garden. While a long list of generous sponsors offset costs from the event, it still has a charitable purpose--all proceeds from the raffle benefit the Patrick Matz Memorial Scholarship Foundation.

This year, the 15th annual reception will be held Tuesday, March 9 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Affinia Manhattan Hotel Ballroom, located on 371 Seventh Avenue in the heart of New York City—also known as West Virginia team headquarters.

If you won’t be taking on the big city until the Mountaineers make their debut on Thursday, don’t fret—you’ll still have an opportunity to partake in the WVU Alumni Association celebration. Fans will have the opportunity to celebrate the success of the Mountaineer Men’s Basketball Team on March 11 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the 2010 Alumni and Fan Extravaganza at the Theater Lobby of Madison Square Garden. The cost is $30 per person and includes a buffet, coffee, tea and dessert.

We have a huge alumni population in the greater NYC metro area,” said Cave.

These events offer us a great opportunity to come together and cheer on the Mountaineers.”

Fans looking for other WVU fan gathering spots can also stop by Local West, which will be hosting WVU fans for food, drinks and specials throughout the Tournament. Conveniently located adjacent to Madison Square Garden, the café and bar is expected to be a popular gathering spot for pre-game and post-game celebrations.

Of course, no Mountaineer can visit New York City and bypass the heralded cuisine of one of their own.

[Image: Amos%20Zereoue%20300x400.jpg]
WVU football great and ex-NFL player, Amos Zereoue, owns and operates Zereoue's in NYC. His restaurant has been recognized nationally for its unique French and African cuisine.
WVillustrated.com Photo by David Miller

Zereoue’s, owned by former Mountaineer and Steelers’ football sensation of the same name, has been recognized nationally for its unique French and African cuisine and modern, elegant and exotic atmosphere. Amos himself is expected to be around Madison Square Garden next week cheering on his alma mater and enjoying the Alumni Association celebrations.

In-between pre-gaming at the WVU Alumni Association events, having dinner at Zereoue’s, watching the Mountaineers win the BIG EAST and heading to Local West for a night cap, be sure to notice the video boards at Times Square and Madison Square Garden, where WVU video footage will be shown to broadcast Mountaineer Pride across the city that never sleeps.

The BIG EAST Tournament will showcase the talents of the Top 16 teams in the conference. Seeds No. 9 through 16 will tipoff Tuesday, and the winners of those games will face seeds No. 5 through 8 on Wednesday.

West Virginia, who was fortunate enough to secure a double-bye, won’t see action until Thursday, when the Top 4 teams face the winners of Wednesday’s games. The semi-finals will be held Friday, narrowing the field down to two championship teams who will face off for the title on Saturday night.

Stay tuned to http://www.wvillustrated.com all next week, as our own Geoff Coyle will be coming to you from Madison Square Garden!
Even those of you who aren't WVU fans, if you haven't tried Zereoue's, you should while you're in NYC. It's a once in a lifetime treat, and well worth the visit... 04-cheers
03-07-2010 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

RE: BIG EAST Tournament Travel Guide
Huge is a relative term. What a West Virginian would describe as huge may seem mundane to a New Yorker...

I don't know the size of WVU's New York area alumni contingent. But it's not as large as Syracuse's, if that's what you're implying. But besides you, who really cares?

Let me ask you this question, though. Have you ever eaten at Zereoue's? You live in the area, so you've had more than ample opportunity. If you haven't, I question your taste...
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 02:12 PM by bitcruncher.)
03-07-2010 02:09 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

WVU fans will take just about any excuse to travel to the big city. It's an abrupt change from West Virginia... 04-cheers
03-07-2010 02:27 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
03-07-2010 06:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Perhaps, but I like mine too... ;-)
03-07-2010 06:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.