Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bobby Knight's explanation
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Bobby Knight's explanation
for why you don't shoot 3's early in the shot clock. He said it during the Kansas/A&M game tonight.

You can get open 3's anytime. Early on you want to explore for something else that can get you to the FT line.
02-15-2010 11:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
RE: Bobby Knight's explanation
Well, SOME teams can get an open 3 any time.
02-15-2010 11:21 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(02-15-2010 11:17 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  for why you don't shoot 3's early in the shot clock. He said it during the Kansas/A&M game tonight.

You can get open 3's anytime. Early on you want to explore for something else that can get you to the FT line.

I heard that as well. Bobby knows just a little bit about basketball. He pointed out that it's the difference between a 70% chance at scoring or a 40% chance of scoring. Teams that typically take the latter option can sometimes win a lot of games, but in the end it catches up with them (see Troy in our league).
02-16-2010 12:12 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
The context of his comment was what cost A&M the game. Late in the game, trailing by a couple of points, they basically stood around three straight possessions and settled for a 3 (missed).[/align]
02-16-2010 07:52 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2010 11:17 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  for why you don't shoot 3's early in the shot clock. He said it during the Kansas/A&M game tonight.

Bobby didn't check with me before he made that statement. Remember that Bobby Knight, although one of the greatest coaches in history, began his career in a completely different era than the game now. Certainly many of his theories on coaching are valid, but there are others who are winning national championships who have other theories that work just as well.

iIn order to make his theory work, you have to have really good big men who can score inside, and who can quickly get the ball back out to the shooters when they're open. We have neither. Let's say, for instance, you throw the ball in to one of our big men. Would you rather take your chances in a close game on them either making a field goal or a free throw, or Matt or Ricky taking an open three pointer early in the shot clock? At best the you'll probably get one or two points out of our big man, whereas with Ricky or Matt you have a good chance of getting three.

And how many times have we fooled around, passing up good shots early, and then having to throw up a bad shot with one or two seconds on the shot clock or throwing the ball away and not getting a shot at all. I have noticed on several occasions, when one of our shooters misses a three pointer, one of our inside players rebounds and either gets a field goal or draws a foul. When you shoot the ball, you have a chance to score. When you pass, you're assuming you're going to eventually get a good shot. Doesn't always happen. I'm not saying just go down and throw up a bomb, but don't keep passing up open shots hoping to get a better one. At least for us it doesn't usually happen.04-cheers
02-16-2010 10:59 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Doc, what did you do before the retirement years? I'm guessing lawyer?
02-16-2010 10:10 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 10:10 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Doc, what did you do before the retirement years? I'm guessing lawyer?

That's funny because I've had people guess that before, but I plead not guilty. A totally different profession. But I'll take that as a compliment since I admire good lawyers ability to think clearly. At this age, I admit, I don't always think so clearly.04-cheers
02-16-2010 11:58 PM
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

(02-16-2010 11:58 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(02-16-2010 10:10 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Doc, what did you do before the retirement years? I'm guessing lawyer?

That's funny because I've had people guess that before, but I plead not guilty. A totally different profession. But I'll take that as a compliment since I admire good lawyers ability to think clearly. At this age, I admit, I don't always think so clearly.04-cheers

OK, keep it mums on what you used to do. Until you spill the beans, I'm still guessing lawyer. Or politician. 04-cheers
02-17-2010 12:10 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2010 12:10 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  
(02-16-2010 11:58 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

OK, keep it mums on what you used to do. Until you spill the beans, I'm still guessing lawyer. Or politician. 04-cheers

It's no secret. I had a hynotherapy practice in Little Rock for many years. Even worked with some of the UALR players from time to time helping on the mental side of shooting free throws. Worked with World Long Drive champion Sean Fister prior to his world championships. I was sworn to secrecy at that time, but he later gave me credit in his book that he wrote. Mainly helped people stop smoking, losing weight, and other assorted things. Now you know what I did. No secret anymore.04-cheers
02-17-2010 12:16 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

Thanks for full disclosure. My mom used hypnotherapy way back when to quit smoking. Went from 3 packs a day to cold turkey. Pretty impressive, perhaps she was a patient of yours! 04-cheers
02-17-2010 12:18 AM
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(02-17-2010 12:18 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  Thanks for full disclosure. My mom used hypnotherapy way back when to quit smoking. Went from 3 packs a day to cold turkey. Pretty impressive, perhaps she was a patient of yours! 04-cheers

04-rock 04-rock 04-rock Hypnotherapy rocks. 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock
02-17-2010 12:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Actually sounds like what Denver tries to do, work for the inside play and go for the three if its not there.
02-17-2010 10:27 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2010 10:27 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Actually sounds like what Denver tries to do, work for the inside play and go for the three if its not there.

I have no problem with that. But when the ball goes inside with us, even though the shot isn't there, they try to take it and hardly ever pass it back for an open shot on the perimeter. I've never been against getting the ball inside, but it called "inside out". We never get the "out".04-cheers
02-17-2010 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.