Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

It would not surprise me if someone came after
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
It would not surprise me if someone came after
Foley at the end of this season. This guy just continues to win at every level, and there's no reason why he couldn't be a great coach at a BCS school. I would hate to lose him, but I think it would be great if he got a chance to coach at a big time school. He deserves that chance. I just want a men's coach that big time schools are coming after every year. That means we're really doing well. If we keep winning, we can change coaches every year as far as I'm concerned.04-cheers
02-15-2010 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
RE: It would not surprise me if someone came after
We're not big time..?
02-15-2010 06:14 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2010 06:14 PM)Scotto Wrote:  We're not big time..?

Not quite yet. But I'm hoping we're heading in that direction.04-cheers
02-15-2010 06:16 PM
rfhiii Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ualr
Joe is very happy at UALR. A lot of times it comes down to how comfortable a coach is with his/her AD. Joe knows he is appreciated. He loves AR very much. UCA tried to get him to listen when the job came open a couple of years ago but could not pay enough to even start a conversation. There is not much for him left to prove and he is not ego driven. He can flat out coach and he will only do it the right way. UALR is very fortunate to have him. I don't think the U of A made a good choice with their women's coach. He might consider that as a higher level but I can't see him going out of state. I think he really likes UALR. I say this UALR team is the best womens team in the state by far.
02-15-2010 08:18 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(02-15-2010 08:18 PM)rfhiii Wrote:  Joe is very happy at UALR. A lot of times it comes down to how comfortable a coach is with his/her AD. Joe knows he is appreciated. He loves AR very much. UCA tried to get him to listen when the job came open a couple of years ago but could not pay enough to even start a conversation. There is not much for him left to prove and he is not ego driven. He can flat out coach and he will only do it the right way. UALR is very fortunate to have him. I don't think the U of A made a good choice with their women's coach. He might consider that as a higher level but I can't see him going out of state. I think he really likes UALR. I say this UALR team is the best womens team in the state by far.

I figure he would be here at least one more year if Reed is coming back. Next season maybe a real special season.
02-15-2010 08:35 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2010 08:35 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  
(02-15-2010 08:18 PM)rfhiii Wrote:  Joe is very happy at UALR. A lot of times it comes down to how comfortable a coach is with his/her AD. Joe knows he is appreciated. He loves AR very much. UCA tried to get him to listen when the job came open a couple of years ago but could not pay enough to even start a conversation. There is not much for him left to prove and he is not ego driven. He can flat out coach and he will only do it the right way. UALR is very fortunate to have him. I don't think the U of A made a good choice with their women's coach. He might consider that as a higher level but I can't see him going out of state. I think he really likes UALR. I say this UALR team is the best womens team in the state by far.

I figure he would be here at least one more year if Reed is coming back. Next season maybe a real special season.

I have felt the same way rh did. I have no inside info, however. Joe seems to like Arkansas and like UALR. I assume the lady swine coach will get another season. Next year UALR will be a Top 40 (maybe even Top 25) team and will make the dance. Maybe he would listen to Fayetteville after next year. He won't this year.
02-15-2010 08:42 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
That would be sweet. You would be totally conflicted.
02-15-2010 08:46 PM
bigdhl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-15-2010 08:46 PM)Scotto Wrote:  That would be sweet. You would be totally conflicted.

I've seen it too many times at schools on our level. A coach comes in does very good , has opportunities to better himself and stays at the local school and in a few years he's a name long forgotten and fans can't get rid of him fast enough. I love loyalty but coaches are hired and will be fired when the first riff comes along.
02-16-2010 11:31 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 11:31 AM)bigdhl Wrote:  
(02-15-2010 08:46 PM)Scotto Wrote:  That would be sweet. You would be totally conflicted.

I've seen it too many times at schools on our level. A coach comes in does very good , has opportunities to better himself and stays at the local school and in a few years he's a name long forgotten and fans can't get rid of him fast enough. I love loyalty but coaches are hired and will be fired when the first riff comes along.

If Joe gets an opportunity at a really good BCS school and will be paid handsomely, he'd be silly to pass it up. That's the American way. Take care of yourself and your family. Loyalties change very rapidly in the college basketball world.04-cheers
02-16-2010 11:35 AM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(02-15-2010 08:18 PM)rfhiii Wrote:  I say this UALR team is the best womens team in the state by far.

I haven't seen the sows play, but I'd guess that you are probably right about who is the best team in the state.
02-16-2010 02:33 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I hate this sort of speculation, you just can't ever know what really makes a person tick.

Gary Pinkel turned down a number of great offers at Toledo until his kids graduated high school. I've heard that similar concerns caused Stockstill at MT to turn down a great offer from East Carolina. Chris Petersen has turned down a load of offers at Boise.

I don't think Foley is interested chasing any check, but I wouldn't be shocked if there aren't a few schools he'd find hard to turn down and a lot more he could turn down even for more bucks.
02-16-2010 03:18 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 03:18 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I hate this sort of speculation, you just can't ever know what really makes a person tick.

Gary Pinkel turned down a number of great offers at Toledo until his kids graduated high school. I've heard that similar concerns caused Stockstill at MT to turn down a great offer from East Carolina. Chris Petersen has turned down a load of offers at Boise.

I don't think Foley is interested chasing any check, but I wouldn't be shocked if there aren't a few schools he'd find hard to turn down and a lot more he could turn down even for more bucks.

Other than a few schools like Tennessee and UConn, do many women's head coaching jobs really pay big bucks? I'm sure they pay more than UALR, but I don't think you have the huge salaries you have in men's basketball. Chris seems to have done as much, or more than, than he could have to help Foley. Tied women's and men's tickets together when no one gave a hoot about UALR women's basketball, bought an NIT home game (with more on the way if we won) last year, bought preseason NIT home games this year, etc. Foley won't get more support from an AD anywhere. He's got a great job, a great team, a perfect size facility for women's basketball, and a supportive AD. I don't know what makes him tick, but I don't see him going anywhere. That opinion could change if the Fayetteville job opens up after next season.
02-16-2010 04:34 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 04:34 PM)mjs Wrote:  [ That opinion could change if the Fayetteville job opens up after next season.

I would still be shocked if the pigs hired any coach from another
Arkansas school. They've known Joe Foley was a heck of a coach for years, and they've hired several women's coaches, but evidently didn't want to hire Joe. It might look like someone else in Arkansas had a better coach than they did. I wouldn't be surprised if he's had offers from other bigger programs though. He's an Arkansas boy, and I have no idea if he'd ever leave the state or not. I hope he doesn't.
02-16-2010 05:35 PM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Why would you tie the tickets together ? Our women outdraw our men, and bring in a lot of $$$. If we tied our tics together, we'd be losing a helluva lot of revenue (and most likely donations, too).

Just got a women's scholie endowed at the last home game.

(02-16-2010 04:34 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-16-2010 03:18 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I hate this sort of speculation, you just can't ever know what really makes a person tick.

Other than a few schools like Tennessee and UConn, do many women's head coaching jobs really pay big bucks? I'm sure they pay more than UALR, but I don't think you have the huge salaries you have in men's basketball. Chris seems to have done as much, or more than, than he could have to help Foley. Tied women's and men's tickets together when no one gave a hoot about UALR women's basketball, bought an NIT home game (with more on the way if we won) last year, bought preseason NIT home games this year, etc. Foley won't get more support from an AD anywhere. He's got a great job, a great team, a perfect size facility for women's basketball, and a supportive AD. I don't know what makes him tick, but I don't see him going anywhere. That opinion could change if the Fayetteville job opens up after next season.
02-16-2010 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

The women's program is being grown. It has legs finally but it will be a while before hit is at the level of interest of the men's team. Now, if the men's team has a few down years....
02-16-2010 06:28 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 04:34 PM)mjs Wrote:  

My cousin is a member of the Baylor booster club, and he's told me that Kim Mulkey makes $1,000,000 a year at Baylor. It's hard to believe, but supposedly true.04-cheers
02-16-2010 08:10 PM
Ynocpirt Offline
Special Teams

My cousin is a member of the Baylor booster club, and he's told me that Kim Mulkey makes $1,000,000 a year at Baylor. It's hard to believe, but supposedly true.04-cheers
[/quote]

Alright! A source!!!:ncaabbs:
02-16-2010 08:17 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2010 08:17 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  My cousin is a member of the Baylor booster club, and he's told me that Kim Mulkey makes $1,000,000 a year at Baylor. It's hard to believe, but supposedly true.04-cheers

[/quote]

I talked to him from prison. He was Bernie Madoff's financial advisor. Is he a credible source?04-cheers
02-16-2010 09:15 PM
bigdhl Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-16-2010 09:15 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(02-16-2010 08:17 PM)Ynocpirt Wrote:  My cousin is a member of the Baylor booster club, and he's told me that Kim Mulkey makes $1,000,000 a year at Baylor. It's hard to believe, but supposedly true.04-cheers

I talked to him from prison. He was Bernie Madoff's financial advisor. Is he a credible source?04-cheers
[/quote]

It's not just the head coach it's how much you can spend on recruiting, how much you can pay your assistants. I know when Coach Mittie took the head job at TCU, Boyer could have went with him making more than he was going to make at ASU as the head coach. It's been a while but if I recall right Mittie tripled his salary 10 years ago to go to TCU.
02-17-2010 09:22 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Arkansas hired Chris Poole from ASU.
02-17-2010 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.