B BALL RECRUITING TIDBIT
Bookmark and Share
Dennis D. Rachwal Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eagles
B BALL RECRUITING TIDBIT
32276. COVERT Detroit Consortium GAME
by Detroiteastside, 2/13/10 2:48 ET
Covert maybe class d but those young boys came to play. Covert was up by 10 @ half. D.C. place two defenders on #44 the May kid he was going nutts. The May kid was literally un-stoppable he put on a show! He did twist his ankle in the second quarter, it slowed him down a little but dam that kid got mad game. With a minute in a half in the fourth the score was tied at 57. Covert rushed a couple of shots and we recovered while we were in the bonus. I look for Covert to make noise during the tournaments. Coach Derrick McDowell a Detroit native was in the house. D. Mack is the assistant at Eastern Michigan University, he was definitely impress with that May kid. U of D, Toledo, Wisconsin all were in the gym tonight witnessing the clinic this kid from Covert put on. May Jr. lead all scorers with 32pts. Covert only had 57pts. Where has this kid been, he needs to be up here in the D' Eastside is always the best side. Covert fought hard it was never a dull moment. The gym was rockin' and those Covert boys earned a lot of respect tonight! I think our boys under estimated the small country boys! Much love to May #44 and their team. Boy you got mad game, fo' sho'! Great hustle from #30. Hey young bloods if you all going to go to the Breslin you've got to play like you did tonight. Someone also has to help May Jr. and free him up some. Aight peace yo' do yo' thang' baby much love.
02-13-2010 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: B BALL RECRUITING TIDBIT
You may be too young to remember but Covert back in the day was a dominant team in its class.
02-15-2010 09:39 AM
1st String

They could contend for a class D title this spring!
02-15-2010 10:28 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Here's another tidbit. This one sounds like a project in more ways than one.
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/ne...nd-chance/
02-15-2010 04:06 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-15-2010 04:06 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Here's another tidbit. This one sounds like a project in more ways than one.
http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/ne...nd-chance/

I hope this kid makes it, but if he does manage to up his GPA to 2.0 he needs one really high SAT or ACT to compensate (for that 2.0).
02-15-2010 05:02 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

More on May:

http://highschool.rivals.com/showmsg.asp...85&style=2

The only caution I would have is remember Zane Gay was like a two time All Stater at the Class C level and scored a similar average and we remember his production at EMU.
02-18-2010 03:12 PM
Advertisement

EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
where is Covert?

Also, with Gay, he played the 4/5 spot in HS, so i don't know what the rationale was for bringing him in as a shooting guard. he would have been a much better fit playing as a forward at a smaller school (pun intended).
02-18-2010 03:29 PM
1st String

EMU Aaron is right in his comparison, Gay was too slow to play guard. Covert and May were at EMU's summer Team Camp and the kid is quick, played well at the camp.

Covert is close to Benton Harbor, close to Gary , Indiana - Western part of the state - media coverage with the Herald Palladiem, a St Joseph, MI Daily Paper.
02-18-2010 04:36 PM
1st String

Wooden Nickle - have you noticed that Treadwell attends the same HS as our freshman player Harris?

(EUCLID HS NEAR CLEVELAND) Harris could develop ointo A GOOD MAC player - good rebounder and shot blocker, needs work on the offensive end.

KEEP FINDING THOSE TIDBITS!
02-18-2010 04:40 PM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: eastern
02-18-2010 06:14 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2010 04:40 PM)Dennis D. Rachwal Wrote:  Wooden Nickle - have you noticed that Treadwell attends the same HS as our freshman player Harris?

(EUCLID HS NEAR CLEVELAND) Harris could develop ointo A GOOD MAC player - good rebounder and shot blocker, needs work on the offensive end.

KEEP FINDING THOSE TIDBITS!

Yes I noticed.

The big concern I have with Harris and Balkema is that both of them seem to srtuggle with controlling the ball. Balkema has stone hands and Harris misses even the closest of layups.
02-18-2010 07:15 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(02-18-2010 06:14 PM)TimBuck2 Wrote:  Not amazing news, but EMU's name is connected with these two...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...ge_choices

keep on finding them - thxs tim buck 2
02-18-2010 07:20 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

(02-18-2010 07:15 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Yes I noticed.

The big concern I have with Harris and Balkema is that both of them seem to srtuggle with controlling the ball. Balkema has stone hands and Harris misses even the closest of layups.

Balkema looks exactly like Bowler did his first year - terrible hands and doesn't understand how to play with guys the same size. Bowler turned it around during his second season, i think near the end.

Dobbins had that same problem with playing like he'd never gone against anyone over 6'3" when he was a rookie. While i've given him a hard time on this board, he did get better about respecting other players his size.

So, while i'm not saying Balkema will definitely be as good as Bowler, i will say almost all big men in the MAC - and even high majors - struggle in their first and second years. The question is will he put in the time to develop his game.

As for Harris, he's terrified out there on the court. you can tell he's very nervous. that should go away with time. again, this doesn't mean i think he'll be all-mac, but we're definitely not seeing his true ability right now. The only time i've seen him play with confidence was the second half of our first game against Toledo. hopefully he'll be a different player next year.

these are just my 2 cents. i actually thought we would win a first round NCAA tourney game the year Mike Ross and those dudes were seniors, so my opinion shouldn't mean too much on here. 01-lauramac2
02-18-2010 09:50 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

(02-18-2010 04:36 PM)Dennis D. Rachwal Wrote:  EMU Aaron is right in his comparison, Gay was too slow to play guard. Covert and May were at EMU's summer Team Camp and the kid is quick, played well at the camp.

Covert is close to Benton Harbor, close to Gary , Indiana - Western part of the state - media coverage with the Herald Palladiem, a St Joseph, MI Daily Paper.

thanks for the info. May is a guard, so at least we're not asking him to change position.
02-18-2010 09:52 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2010 09:50 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  
(02-18-2010 07:15 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Yes I noticed.

Balkema looks exactly like Bowler did his first year - terrible hands and doesn't understand how to play with guys the same size. Bowler turned it around during his second season, i think near the end.

Dobbins had that same problem with playing like he'd never gone against anyone over 6'3" when he was a rookie. While i've given him a hard time on this board, he did get better about respecting other players his size.

So, while i'm not saying Balkema will definitely be as good as Bowler, i will say almost all big men in the MAC - and even high majors - struggle in their first and second years. The question is will he put in the time to develop his game.

As for Harris, he's terrified out there on the court. you can tell he's very nervous. that should go away with time. again, this doesn't mean i think he'll be all-mac, but we're definitely not seeing his true ability right now. The only time i've seen him play with confidence was the second half of our first game against Toledo. hopefully he'll be a different player next year.

these are just my 2 cents. i actually thought we would win a first round NCAA tourney game the year Mike Ross and those dudes were seniors, so my opinion shouldn't mean too much on here. 01-lauramac2

If you looked at Harris blocked shots and rebounds per minutes played he looks promising in those departments. He has no confidence in his shooting. He needs to put some muscle on.
02-19-2010 05:45 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

This is from Steve Bell's excellent Bankhoops regarding Covert's Dean and May and raises some excellent points:

http://www.bankhoops.com/index.php?optio...&Itemid=67
02-19-2010 09:45 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2010 06:14 PM)TimBuck2 Wrote:  Not amazing news, but EMU's name is connected with these two...

Both JUCO's! Hopefully these are plan B prospects in case Rams can't land legit HS players. In year 5 he should not be dependant on JUCO players.
02-19-2010 10:15 AM
1st String

SOMEWHAT AGREE BUT WHOEVER HE BRINGS IN MUST BE ABLE TO STEP UP AND PLAY - ESPECIALLY NEED A pg TO RUN THE TEAM AND A BIG FELLA TO REPLACE DOBBINS.

NOT A BIG JUCO FAN UNLESS A JUCO OR TWO CAN COME IN AND START AND CONTRIBUTE. FEW HS PLAYERS (MAC LEVEL) CONTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY, TAKES TIME. NEED TO RELOAD AND NOT REBUILT LIKE KENT DOES FROM YEAR TO YEAR.

GOOD LUCK RECRUITING.
02-19-2010 11:14 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

If Dailey does not return, I believe we would have four scholies to give. I could see trying to get two JUCOs and two high school kids. I think most of us agree the PG is the most critical recruiting need along with an experienced front court player either at power forward or center.
02-19-2010 12:37 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2010 12:37 PM)emu79 Wrote:  If Dailey does not return, I believe we would have four scholies to give. I could see trying to get two JUCOs and two high school kids. I think most of us agree the PG is the most critical recruiting need along with an experienced front court player either at power forward or center.

I saw in the Echo that Dailey is travelling with the team again. Did not dress for the UT game but was there.

What's the word on Sims? Is he a legit D1 guard?
02-19-2010 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.