Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ASU gets no respect
Bookmark and Share
RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
ASU gets no respect
Not much going on with our board today so I took a look at "The Den".

I see the same comments on ASU’s “Den” regarding Wally Halls Paper’s coverage of the Red Wolves as I see on our site regarding the coverage of the Trojans. I hear that old word conspiracy on their board like I’ve seen here. Makes me smile a bit, having seen the same comments here.

You would think Brady’s team would get more press with their good year. Myself, I just want to see more press about our Lady Trojan’s (it’s been pretty good so far this year) until the Men get it turned around.
02-01-2010 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: ASU gets no respect
(02-01-2010 04:06 PM)RBL Wrote:  Not much going on with our board today so I took a look at "The Den".

I see the same comments on ASU’s “Den” regarding Wally Halls Paper’s coverage of the Red Wolves as I see on our site regarding the coverage of the Trojans. I hear that old word conspiracy on their board like I’ve seen here. Makes me smile a bit, having seen the same comments here.

You would think Brady’s team would get more press with their good year. Myself, I just want to see more press about our Lady Trojan’s (it’s been pretty good so far this year) until the Men get it turned around.

How much press does UALR get in the Jonesboro paper? Probably very little, except when III does something. They have run several articles on him in the past. But if he wasn't on our team, would we even rate a small column in their hometown paper? Our problem is that our hometown paper doesn't want to be known as a hometown paper, so that gives them an excuse to downplay UALR's importance.03-banghead
02-01-2010 04:40 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(02-01-2010 04:40 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(02-01-2010 04:06 PM)RBL Wrote:  Not much going on with our board today so I took a look at "The Den".

How much press does UALR get in the Jonesboro paper? Probably very little, except when III does something. They have run several articles on him in the past. But if he wasn't on our team, would we even rate a small column in their hometown paper? Our problem is that our hometown paper doesn't want to be known as a hometown paper, so that gives them an excuse to downplay UALR's importance.03-banghead

Any program in Arkansas, unless it smells like a pig, is like an unwanted step-child. Oh, what I'd give for the good ole days when the Gazette was still in business.
02-01-2010 04:51 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2010 04:51 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(02-01-2010 04:40 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  

Any program in Arkansas, unless it smells like a pig, is like an unwanted step-child. Oh, what I'd give for the good ole days when the Gazette was still in business.

Ain't that the truth!04-rock
02-01-2010 04:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
There is a difference in the Jonesboro Sun and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Can you find a Jonesboro Sun newspaper box in Pulaski County? No. You won't find one any closer than the Newport area.

Will the Jonesboro Sun give you same day delivery to a home in Pulaski County? No. They'll mail it to you and you can get the Sunday paper on Tuesday.

The Sun markets itself to the Northeast Arkansas region of the state and doesn't claim to cover anything outside of that area except with wire reports.

The Democrat-Gazette says right there under the name of the paper Arkansas' Newspaper. Read their ad sales materials and they say they reach 600,000 people throughout the state. You can buy it out of the box in Jonesboro, you can have it delivered to your home.

The school newspaper at NLR High School doesn't cover Central Arkansas Christian High School Sports because they aren't aimed at that audience. The North Little Rock Times, covers both because they claim to reach the entire market. The Sun doesn't claim to sell newspapers in the area where most UALR season ticket holders and casual fans reside nor do they claim do so within 50 miles of that area. The D-G on the other hand spills big talk about covering the whole state. Sunday morning they ran the men's story in agate type and it appeared to be simply the ASU press release or close to it.
02-01-2010 05:51 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2010 05:51 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  There is a difference in the Jonesboro Sun and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Can you find a Jonesboro Sun newspaper box in Pulaski County? No. You won't find one any closer than the Newport area.

Will the Jonesboro Sun give you same day delivery to a home in Pulaski County? No. They'll mail it to you and you can get the Sunday paper on Tuesday.

The Sun markets itself to the Northeast Arkansas region of the state and doesn't claim to cover anything outside of that area except with wire reports.

The Democrat-Gazette says right there under the name of the paper Arkansas' Newspaper. Read their ad sales materials and they say they reach 600,000 people throughout the state. You can buy it out of the box in Jonesboro, you can have it delivered to your home.

The school newspaper at NLR High School doesn't cover Central Arkansas Christian High School Sports because they aren't aimed at that audience. The North Little Rock Times, covers both because they claim to reach the entire market. The Sun doesn't claim to sell newspapers in the area where most UALR season ticket holders and casual fans reside nor do they claim do so within 50 miles of that area. The D-G on the other hand spills big talk about covering the whole state. Sunday morning they ran the men's story in agate type and it appeared to be simply the ASU press release or close to it.

Your point has been made before. But you do have a newspaper primarily covering your athletic teams. The fact that the D-G covers the state is somewhat irrelevant. It's the only newspaper located right here in Little Rock, so our contention has always been that the featured school should be UALR. However, we're not stupid and know that Hogism is a disease that spreads to every corner of the state, and many are infected with it here in the Capitol City. And as far as I know, there is no vaccine for it. We all thought the "Swine Flu" vaccine would halt the spread, but it hasn't helped in the least. Maybe the paper should have a sports iinsert specifically designed for Northeast Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas. When I take over the control of the paper, I will strongly consider that.04-cheers
02-01-2010 06:18 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I suspect there is not a vast difference in audience among D-G subscribers for ASU and UALR information. I've brought it up before because your argument is flawed. You post justifying D-G crappy treatment of ASU by pointing to the Sun but that only works if the D-G is like the Sun and is targeted to a small region. I'll wager that there are more than 10X as many ASU season basketball tickets in Pulaski County as UALR season tix in Craighead County AND the counties bordering it.

There is a newspaper that primarily covers ASU. Can I pick it up off my porch in the morning? Can any of the other ASU season ticket holders in the LR Metro Area or up in White County?

Yet if I lived in Jonesboro or Fayetteville, I could subscribe and each morning pickup the D-G off my porch and read UALR's beat writer.

The fact that the D-G covers the state isn't irrelevant because it has to do with the audience they are supposedly trying to reach. CNN is based in Atlanta but very little of what makes local TV news in Atlanta makes it on to CNN because they are reaching far past central Georgia.

UALR has an assigned beat writer, Arkansas State does not.
02-01-2010 07:03 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
A
(02-01-2010 07:03 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I suspect there is not a vast difference in audience among D-G subscribers for ASU and UALR information. I've brought it up before because your argument is flawed. You post justifying D-G crappy treatment of ASU by pointing to the Sun but that only works if the D-G is like the Sun and is targeted to a small region. I'll wager that there are more than 10X as many ASU season basketball tickets in Pulaski County as UALR season tix in Craighead County AND the counties bordering it.

There is a newspaper that primarily covers ASU. Can I pick it up off my porch in the morning? Can any of the other ASU season ticket holders in the LR Metro Area or up in White County?

Yet if I lived in Jonesboro or Fayetteville, I could subscribe and each morning pickup the D-G off my porch and read UALR's beat writer.

The fact that the D-G covers the state isn't irrelevant because it has to do with the audience they are supposedly trying to reach. CNN is based in Atlanta but very little of what makes local TV news in Atlanta makes it on to CNN because they are reaching far past central Georgia.

UALR has an assigned beat writer, Arkansas State does not.

You make some good points, and they do pass themselves off as the state newspaper. I still feel UALR should get more extensive coverage than ASU, because it is a Little Rock paper . ASU should get a fair share though. I know better to think that we should get more than the pigs. I'm not real smart, but smarter than that.

As far as being in Fayetteville and being able to read UALR's beat writer, not necessarily. Our fan who lives in Booneville says the UALR articles are very seldom in the NW Arkansas edition. He has to get someone on the this board to post the articles so he can read them. And, Wally evidently has cut off our beat writer's expense account, because he no longer goes on the road with the team.

Now, on to the good news for ASU fans. FOX 16 had a very good interview with Coach Brady on tonights news at 5 pm. They probably will show it again on the 9 pm news. And, the interview was done in the Convocation Center. I thought maybe the were going to interview him while he was speaking to the lunch group in LR today, but they evidently traveled to Jonesboro to get the interview.
02-01-2010 07:24 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

If it were at the Convo there is a 99% chance it was actually filmed by ASU. They are sending a weekly DVD with highlights and interviews to all the TV stations in Little Rock and I believe Memphis on the theory that since they won't drive to Jonesboro and they won't run stories without video, if we give them video they might run a story.

An AP story run in agate type is simply not acceptable.

The person in NW Arkansas should be able to access full content online and not need anyone to help out. Online content is included with a regular subscription.

My concern is coverage where tickets are sold. The Dem-Gaz has good circulation within the ASU market area and Gulf South caliber coverage isn't appropriate. I don't expect ASU hoops coverage to be line by line equal to UALR but I sure don't expect it to be equal to what I can get off any web site with full AP story coverage either.
02-01-2010 08:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.