Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Just imagine if ...
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Just imagine if ...
.. we could beat Ohio State and Texas in football on the same day ...
01-24-2010 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Just imagine if ...
It would never happen. Perhaps I am too cynical about college football but why whould Ohio State or Texas ever play a Big East team? Its all about money and both of them are going to sell out their stadiums if they are playing a 1AA team? Why would either of them take a chance on playing a Big East team as there is a possibility that they could lose to them. They will not get the credit from the media if they beat a Big East team as the media says the Big East is terrible and everyone expects this. They would receive hell if they ever lost to a Big East team as the media has a perception that the Big East is lousy.
Its just not worth it if I were the AD at Ohio State or Texas. Its much better to play 1AA teams and weak teams in a conference like the SEC or the Pac 10 as the media says that those teams are good. If you beat them then you get the credit. The chances of losing to them are a lot less than playing a good Big East team.

Although with that said USC is playing Syracuse for an upcoming series in football but they do tend to be more of a school that will play anyone any place at any time where as Texas and Ohio State tend to duck good teams out of conference.
01-24-2010 01:11 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(01-24-2010 01:11 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  It would never happen. Perhaps I am too cynical about college football but why whould Ohio State or Texas ever play a Big East team? Its all about money and both of them are going to sell out their stadiums if they are playing a 1AA team? Why would either of them take a chance on playing a Big East team as there is a possibility that they could lose to them. They will not get the credit from the media if they beat a Big East team as the media says the Big East is terrible and everyone expects this. They would receive hell if they ever lost to a Big East team as the media has a perception that the Big East is lousy.
Its just not worth it if I were the AD at Ohio State or Texas. Its much better to play 1AA teams and weak teams in a conference like the SEC or the Pac 10 as the media says that those teams are good. If you beat them then you get the credit. The chances of losing to them are a lot less than playing a good Big East team.

Although with that said USC is playing Syracuse for an upcoming series in football but they do tend to be more of a school that will play anyone any place at any time where as Texas and Ohio State tend to duck good teams out of conference.

Texas tried to schedule a 1 and done with UCONN a couple of years ago. UCONN said thanks but no thanks for football. I am not sure they would want to schedule Huskies now.

UCONN I believe does have a 4 game bball series with Texas and today is the 1st game.
01-24-2010 02:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(01-24-2010 02:51 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Texas tried to schedule a 1 and done with UCONN a couple of years ago. UCONN said thanks but no thanks for football. I am not sure they would want to schedule Huskies now.

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

Yeah, man. I'm sure Texas football is scared $h!tless of the Huskies. Who needs Oklahoma, Nebraska, and A&M when you've got The Winningest Program of All Time, 22-time National Champion Connecticut, nipping at your heels?

.....and then, you woke up. 03-cloud9
01-24-2010 02:50 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(01-24-2010 02:50 PM)CD11 Wrote:  
(01-24-2010 02:51 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Texas tried to schedule a 1 and done with UCONN a couple of years ago. UCONN said thanks but no thanks for football. I am not sure they would want to schedule Huskies now.

Yeah, man. I'm sure Texas football is scared $h!tless of the Huskies. Who needs Oklahoma, Nebraska, and A&M when you've got The Winningest Program of All Time, 22-time National Champion Connecticut, nipping at your heels?

I'm pretty sure he was inferring that UConn has a good football program that can beat just about anyone on any given Saturday. Texas wouldn't have won the Big East this year not even close.
01-24-2010 04:48 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

(01-24-2010 04:48 PM)brista21 Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure he was inferring that UConn has a good football program that can beat just about anyone on any given Saturday. Texas wouldn't have won the Big East this year not even close.

Well, it looks to me like he was inferring that Texas should be afraid to schedule UConn.

How can you say that Texas wouldn't have come close to winning the Big East this year? It's a moot point, but, I don't see how you can say that with such confidence.
01-24-2010 05:02 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
It's far from a sure thing that they would have won it, but Texas certainly would have been right up there for the league title. You can't say they wouldn't have competed for the title though.
01-24-2010 05:06 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Texas had a good team. But there are more teams in The BEast that could catch 'em napping on a bad day than there are in the Big XII, IMO. There's not much separation between the top 6 teams in the conference, and the bottom 2 may be coming up for air shortly...
01-24-2010 05:13 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-24-2010 05:06 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  It's far from a sure thing that they would have won it, but Texas certainly would have been right up there for the league title. You can't say they wouldn't have competed for the title though.

Agreed. They most certainly would have competed for it.

Cheers,
Neil
01-24-2010 05:15 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!

Please share what you are smoking with me. If Colt McCoy wasn't injured Texas beats bama. Show me one team in the BE this year that would have beat Bama.
01-24-2010 05:24 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(01-24-2010 05:13 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Texas had a good team. But there are more teams in The BEast that could catch 'em napping on a bad day than there are in the Big XII, IMO. There's not much separation between the top 6 teams in the conference, and the bottom 2 may be coming up for air shortly...

Bingo. Texas would likely have been a 2 loss team in the Big East this year. Cincy would've beaten them and at least 1 of Pitt or WVU would have beaten them.
01-24-2010 05:27 PM
Advertisement

CD11 Offline
I won.

(01-24-2010 05:27 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(01-24-2010 05:13 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Texas had a good team. But there are more teams in The BEast that could catch 'em napping on a bad day than there are in the Big XII, IMO. There's not much separation between the top 6 teams in the conference, and the bottom 2 may be coming up for air shortly...

Bingo. Texas would likely have been a 2 loss team in the Big East this year. Cincy would've beaten them and at least 1 of Pitt or WVU would have beaten them.

I wish I could agree on the Cincy part, but I think it would've depended on when the game was scheduled more than anything. If we play Texas toward the end of the year, McCoy runs about 60 on us, imo.
01-24-2010 05:43 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(01-24-2010 05:43 PM)CD11 Wrote:  
I wish I could agree on the Cincy part, but I think it would've depended on when the game was scheduled more than anything. If we play Texas toward the end of the year, McCoy runs about 60 on us, imo.
I don't know if Texas would lose 2 games in conference or not, and claiming they would is kind of silly. That would have to be proven on the field, and beating the Longhorns isn't exactly an easy task...
01-24-2010 06:28 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(01-24-2010 02:51 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(01-24-2010 01:11 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  It would never happen. Perhaps I am too cynical about college football but why whould Ohio State or Texas ever play a Big East team? Its all about money and both of them are going to sell out their stadiums if they are playing a 1AA team? Why would either of them take a chance on playing a Big East team as there is a possibility that they could lose to them. They will not get the credit from the media if they beat a Big East team as the media says the Big East is terrible and everyone expects this. They would receive hell if they ever lost to a Big East team as the media has a perception that the Big East is lousy.

Texas tried to schedule a 1 and done with UCONN a couple of years ago. UCONN said thanks but no thanks for football. I am not sure they would want to schedule Huskies now.

UCONN I believe does have a 4 game bball series with Texas and today is the 1st game.

I would guess that UConn wanted a home and home series and Texas said no. We only want you to play in Texas and we do not want to play at UConn
01-25-2010 12:28 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-24-2010 05:02 PM)CD11 Wrote:  

Well, it looks to me like he was inferring that Texas should be afraid to schedule UConn.

How can you say that Texas wouldn't have come close to winning the Big East this year? It's a moot point, but, I don't see how you can say that with such confidence.

You have a funny way of twisting things and being not too bright, which you are very good at BTW.

When Texas tried to schedule UCONN a few years ago, I am sure they were expecting an easy win. Today, not so much. I have no idea where you get the afraid part from. 03-banghead03-banghead

At least UCONN had the balls to say NO THANKS to those 1 and done football requests unlike some other BE school out there.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2010 05:11 AM by SF Husky.)
01-25-2010 04:49 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2010 12:28 AM)tj_2009 Wrote:  
(01-24-2010 02:51 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  

I would guess that UConn wanted a home and home series and Texas said no. We only want you to play in Texas and we do not want to play at UConn

That's what happened. UCONN said no thanks unless it is a home and home.
01-25-2010 05:05 AM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska

Pitt couldn't beat NC State and WVU couldn't beat USF or Auburn. Texas wouldn't have had any problems with Pitt or WVU.
01-25-2010 08:39 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(01-25-2010 08:39 AM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  

Pitt couldn't beat NC State and WVU couldn't beat USF or Auburn. Texas wouldn't have had any problems with Pitt or WVU.
All depends on which Pitt or WVU team showed up that day. On the other hand Texas really just wasn't impressive this year at all. If anything this might've been the one year where you could have made the case that Florida deserved a re-match. I think Boise deserved a shot as well. Cincy deserved one but it would've probably ended the same as it did against Florida.
01-25-2010 09:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-24-2010 04:48 PM)brista21 Wrote:  Texas wouldn't have won the Big East this year not even close.

01-wingedeagle
01-25-2010 09:35 AM
CD11 Offline
I won.

(01-25-2010 04:49 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(01-24-2010 05:02 PM)CD11 Wrote:  

You have a funny way of twisting things and being not too bright, which you are very good at BTW.

When Texas tried to schedule UCONN a few years ago, I am sure they were expecting an easy win. Today, not so much. I have no idea where you get the afraid part from. 03-banghead03-banghead

At least UCONN had the balls to say NO THANKS to those 1 and done football requests unlike some other BE school out there.

I notice you completely ignored the other thread where I directly called you out for being a pu$$y who only shows up on the boards when his team is winning. Par for the course for you, big guy!

As far as UC being on the bad end of 1-and-dones, I think you'd find that most of our fans, including myself, are outraged by them. However, without knowing UConn's financial situation, I'm sure you all are in a much healthier one than we are. We pretty much have to take the $1 million buyout from OSU to move the game up to Columbus, the X amount from VT or whoever to move that game to Washington, etc. because it wouldn't make financial sense not to take it. As a fan, I don't like it, but hopefully we'll be in a different situation in the near future and we can turn people down like UConn can.
01-25-2010 11:52 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.