Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Calhoun out on medical leave
frogman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
Calhoun out on medical leave
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4839919

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut men's basketball coach Jim Calhoun is taking a leave of absence, effective immediately, due to undisclosed medical issues, the university announced Tuesday afternoon.

"It is my recommendation that coach Calhoun take a medical leave from his coaching position to address some temporary medical issues, none of which involve any previous medical conditions that he has dealt with," said his physician, Dr. Peter Schulman of the University of Connecticut Health Center.

According to UConn spokesperson Kyle Muncy, Cahoun's leave is neither heart- nor cancer-related and he won't need to be hospitalized. Calhoun is a three-time cancer survivor.

Muncy said it was too soon to establish a timetable on whether Calhoun will return, presumably this season.

"Our primary concern is coach Calhoun's health and his complete recovery. We will do everything possible to support coach during this time. Jim and I both know that the men's basketball program is in very capable hands under the leadership of associate head coach George Blaney," UConn athletics director Jeff Hathaway said.

UConn (No. 21 ESPN/USA Today) is 11-6 (2-3 Big East) and has lost three straight. The Huskies' next game is Wednesday against St. John's in Hartford and they host No. 1 Texas on Saturday.

Blaney will coach the Huskies on Wednesday and likely will continue until further notice.

Calhoun, 67, has missed all or parts of 21 games during his career due to illness. Last season, he missed a regular-season game against Rutgers and the Huskies' opening-round NCAA tournament win over Tennessee-Chattanooga.

He missed time in January 2008 from what the team called a combination of stress and exhaustion. Calhoun also said then he'd been suffering from a gastric problem, something he's had for years.

Later in 2008, he was treated for a second instance of skin cancer. He had surgery to remove a lump in the upper right side of his neck near the jawline and underwent radiation.

Calhoun also missed five games in 2003, when he underwent surgery for prostate cancer.

Calhoun has led UConn to three Final Fours and national championships in 1999 and 2004, and was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2005. He agreed to a five-year contract extension in December that includes the current season, but it is unclear if he ever signed the new deal. His current contract runs out June 30.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz was used in this report.

Top of the Pile
Jim Calhoun has stepped away from the Connecticut Huskies, but he remains the leader in games coached among active Division I coaches.

Coach Seasons Games
Jim Calhoun 38 1,164
Mike Krzyzewski 34 1,123
Jim Boeheim 34 1,106
01-19-2010 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Calhoun out on medical leave
Stress, exhaustion, and intestinal discomfort could be early warning signs of coronary problems. With everything he's been through in his life, it wouldn't surprise me...
01-19-2010 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Damn ... hope he gets well soon. His team sure needs him.
01-19-2010 06:15 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Hope Calhoun can recover soon. He is getting old and his health is becoming a concern. We been through this before. George Blaney is a former head coach with plenty of experience so we are in good hand. We will see what old George can do in the coming weeks to improve this team.
01-19-2010 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Calhoun will be put into my family prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
01-19-2010 08:02 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
An iconic coach, face of the program. Good luck coach and get well.
01-19-2010 09:28 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.