Thread Closed 
Big East Player of the Decade
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Big East Player of the Decade
According to Brian Bennett from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/7237/big -east-players-of-the-decade

It's not easy coming up with a list of the 10 best players of the past decade in the Big East.

You could almost make the list solely from Miami players between 2000 and 2003; the Hurricanes were that dominant with that many unbelievable athletes on the roster.

But there were several other outstanding players on other teams throughout the decade. When trying to pare down the top 10, I gave extra benefit to longevity. Many stars had amazing single seasons -- guys like Willis McGahee, Donald Brown and Elvis Dumervil -- but I leaned toward those who did it over a longer period of time. NFL production doesn't hurt one's case but is not a major determining factor; this is a list of the best Big East players, not top future pros.

So without further ado, here's my Top 10:

10. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville: Brohm held the league's all-time career yardage mark before Matt Grothe broke it this past season. He led the Cardinals to the 2007 Orange Bowl title, and he still owns Big East records for passing yards in a career (9,956), season (4,024) and a game (555).

9. Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati: Gilyard's 3,003 career receiving yards rank just 40 yard behind the league's all-time leader, Rutgers' Kenny Britt. But he is also a two-time league special teams player of the year for his tremendous work on kick returns, and he was one of the main catalysts for the Bearcats' back-to-back Big East titles in 2008 and 2009.

8. Ken Dorsey, QB, Miami: Dorsey is the only Big East quarterback who can say he won a national title in the aughts. He finished his career with a ridiculous 38-2 record, was a two-time Big East offensive player of the year award winner, a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist and the co-MVP of the 2002 Rose Bowl.
7. Sean Taylor, DB, Miami: Taylor was an incredible physical specimen who was as feared a defensive player as the league has ever seen. The hard-hitting safety had 10 interceptions while winning 2003 Big East defensive player of the year honors. Tragically, his life was cut short when he was killed in his home in 2007.

6. Dwight Freeney, DE, Syracuse: Freeney was a holy terror on quarterbacks. His 34 career sacks ranks as the third most in Big East history, and he recorded 17.5 of them his senior year. He has gone on to stardom with the Indianapolis Colts.

5. Bryant McKinnie, OT, Miami: It's easy to forget the big guys up front sometimes, but it's impossible to omit McKinnie from this list. The 2001 Outland Trophy winner and two-time All-American did not allow a sack in his college career. He finished eighth in Heisman Trophy balloting in 2001 -- for an offensive lineman, that's staggeringly high.

4. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers: Rice had two of the top three rushing seasons in Big East history and finished his three-year career with 4,926 rushing yards, only 113 yards behind all-time leader and four-year player Avon Cobourne of West Virginia. Rutgers' running game has sputtered ever since Rice left campus, and he has blossomed into a star at the next level.

3. Ed Reed, DB, Miami: Reed's Big East record of 21 career interceptions may not be broken for a long, long time. The two-time All-American had nine picks and returned three for touchdowns in 2001 alone.

2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh: Fitzgerald finished second in the 2003 Heisman Trophy race and ought to have won it. His incredible season saw him catch 92 passes for 1,672 yards and 22 touchdowns. He was almost as good in 2002, as well.

1. Pat White, QB, West Virginia: White may or may not be the best player on this list, but his accomplishments put him above the rest. He finished his career as the NCAA's all-time leader in rushing among quarterbacks, led West Virginia to two BCS bowl wins and went 4-0 in bowls as a starter. Maybe more importantly, he helped save the Big East by leading the Mountaineers to a win over Georgia in the 2006 Sugar Bowl when the league's credibility and BCS status were in question. For pure impact and career achievement, White is the Big East's man of the decade.

Very honorable mention: Andre Johnson, Kellen Winslow, Willis McGahee and Jonathan Vilma, Miami; Donald Brown, UConn; Kenny Britt, Rutgers; Elvis Dumervil, Louisville; Antonio Bryant and Darrelle Revis, Pitt; Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College; DeAngelo Hall, Virginia Tech.
01-19-2010 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: Big East Player of the Decade
Myself, I'd have Dorsey higher, maybe flipflop him and McKinnie.

For Grothe not to even be an Honorable Mention is an oversight to me.
01-19-2010 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
(01-19-2010 12:56 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  Myself, I'd have Dorsey higher, maybe flipflop him and McKinnie.

same goes for george selvie... i think he forgot usf existed
01-19-2010 01:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
What about Steve Slaton? He was a big part of WVU's and Pat White's early success...
01-19-2010 02:17 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
(01-19-2010 01:50 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  
(01-19-2010 12:56 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  Myself, I'd have Dorsey higher, maybe flipflop him and McKinnie.

Sorry but no. Grothe defintely deserves mention but Selvie is no where near the top 10 players of the decade. I don't even think he's the best DE on his team right now.
01-19-2010 03:03 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Selvie...did he play this year?
01-19-2010 03:05 PM
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

3/4 of that list should be Miami players
01-19-2010 03:16 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Fair list, I like Steve Slaton also.
01-19-2010 03:19 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
my first thought was pat white.
01-19-2010 04:35 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(01-19-2010 04:35 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  my first thought was pat white.
I'm pretty sure he was almost everyone's first thought. No other player had such an impact on The BEast, and it's prospects in this, or any other decade...
01-19-2010 06:01 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Grothe on a top-10 list, no way.

Fitz, Reed, Freeney, and Dorsey were all better than White.
01-19-2010 06:19 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

None of the players you mention had the impact on the future of The BEast that Pat White did. Your agument is very weak, quo...
01-19-2010 06:46 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
(01-19-2010 03:03 PM)UltimateCFBfan Wrote:  
(01-19-2010 01:50 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  

Sorry but no. Grothe defintely deserves mention but Selvie is no where near the top 10 players of the decade. I don't even think he's the best DE on his team right now.

he had a bad year but the guy who wrote the article went out of his way to say that its about a full body of work, selvie is a 2 time all american (one time consensus), freshman all american, big east defensive player of the year... hes had a great career... not saying hes top 10, but if this is body of work he should of at least been mentioned
01-19-2010 07:35 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
You can't have a Top Ten list of the Decade, have Pat White #1 and not have Steve Slaton on it at all.
CJ
01-19-2010 09:33 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
These polls are just like the BCS.

Pat White is definitely deserving of his ranking; however. In the Sugar Bowl in Atlanta, combined they saved face for the current BE.
01-19-2010 10:27 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

Dorsey had a better winning percentage than White and he won a national title as well
01-19-2010 10:32 PM
Advertisement

Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(01-19-2010 10:32 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  Dorsey had a better winning percentage than White and he won a national title as well

Fair point.
01-19-2010 11:03 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(01-19-2010 10:32 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  Dorsey had a better winning percentage than White and he won a national title as well

True. But I believe Pat White could have QB'd that team to about the same record as well. 03-wink

I'm not sure the same is true in reverse. Sometimes one needs to look beyond the cool, logical stats.

Cheers,
Neil
01-20-2010 05:40 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-19-2010 06:46 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  None of the players you mention had the impact on the future of The BEast that Pat White did. Your agument is very weak, quo...

No, i like the definition of "POD" that is implicit in my post: It should be narrowly defined as 'best player', in which case something like 'impact on Big East national reputation' isn't very relevant, if at all.

E.g., probably no player ever has or ever will have more of an impact on baseball than jackie robinson, but if it came down to him versus willie mays for "player of the l40s through 60s", it would have to be mays, because mays was better.
01-20-2010 08:56 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2010 02:17 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  What about Steve Slaton? He was a big part of WVU's and Pat White's early success...

Agreed, he should have at least garnered an honorable mention for sure.
01-20-2010 09:03 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.