Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poor recruiting article in the Detnews
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Poor recruiting article in the Detnews
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100111/...ugh-at-EMU

Shows what happens when someone relies on rivals and scout.com as sources for a newspaper article.

At least Goricki should have gotten more info which EMU COULD talk about - the L'ville transfer DB Smith, Moffett sitout LB, Ben Axon, and maybe the kids who have enrolled this month.

All of that is permissable to the NCAA.

I would be nice to have an update esp. on Moffett and Axon. I assume Axon is being treated as a redshirt, and is not an academic non qualifier (I assume he was a qualifier but not sure).
01-11-2010 04:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: Poor recruiting article in the Detnews
I hate to post this kind of evasive information but EMU does have a number of verbals or enrollees which have not been noted publicly.

English prefers to hold info until signing day and I respect his wishes.
01-11-2010 04:38 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Steve,

So the one article in Michigan Live about Davenport appears true.

I'm glad you have inside recruiting information directly apparently from Coach English based on your comments posted here. I don't know how Coach English cannot comment publicly on specific recruits according to NCAA rules but can give access to you. English could comment himself on JUCOs or transfers if they are already enrolled.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2010 05:28 AM by emu79.)
01-11-2010 04:54 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Goricki would have been wise to consult this forum and then report all of the committed players that we've identified. Generally our list comes from published reports so it is not just internet rumor. This report is a little wreckless and misleading by Goricki. I'm surprised.

That comment about Barksdale is interesting. "Among players overlooked was Cass Tech lineman Dalton Barksdale..." Is that assumption based on what Goricki sees in Rivals or is that fact based on real information???

I do get the sense that English is avoiding talent in Michigan. That's concerning.

As for Davenport, there is[/i] probably a lot more to the story than what has been reported.
01-11-2010 09:43 AM
Cantwell Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Eagles
Coach English can only confirm if he is recruiting someone if he is asked. He cannot make any other comments. What is the point or advantage of him commenting except to keep us informed?
01-11-2010 09:48 AM
Dennis D. Rachwal Offline
1st String

DAVENPORT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAYER, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE REAL STORY. A LOCAL MICHIGAN KID WITH SIZE AND HONORS ETC.
01-11-2010 10:32 AM
Advertisement

1st String

MOFFATT, WHO WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR IS LISTED AS BEING FROM CHARLOTTE N.C. - WHAT GIVES, I THOUGHT HE WAS FROM CHICAGO, ILL. I ALSO THOUGHT HE WAS ENROLLED I SCHOOL LAST YEAR BUT PERHAPS HE WENT TO PREP SCHOOL IN N.C. ANYONE HAVE THE REAL STORY ON HIM?? SUPPOSEDLY HE IS A STUD!
01-11-2010 10:58 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I am curious. I mean is there a booster foundation or organization that you can join with EMU football that will give you direct access to Coach English and his staff and recruiting information prior to LOI day? How many dollars does it cost to be in the organization. I'm curious how about the information but also the instructions that apparently came with it. I sure those who contribute $$$ have access to a number of things and information that I don't have.
01-11-2010 10:58 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2010 09:43 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Goricki would have been wise to consult this forum and then report all of the committed players that we've identified. Generally our list comes from published reports so it is not just internet rumor. This report is a little wreckless and misleading by Goricki. I'm surprised.

That comment about Barksdale is interesting. "Among players overlooked was Cass Tech lineman Dalton Barksdale..." Is that assumption based on what Goricki sees in Rivals or is that fact based on real information???

I do get the sense that English is avoiding talent in Michigan. That's concerning.

As for Davenport, there is[/i] probably a lot more to the story than what has been reported.

Another player mentioned in the M Live thread posted by a unknown person that Steve mentined on this board was Martez Kelly who purportly was offered and retracted. I saw Barksdale name on Scout but EMU didn't offer him. I don't think English is a recruit Michigan first person. We may see more JUCOs than we ever did under Rasnick.
01-11-2010 11:08 AM
1st String

JUCO'S - didn't have a lot of luck with them ast season, one didn't show up, a lb hardly ever played, a safety was burned a lot and a dst played some and appeared to improve near seasons end.

If you are going to recruit JUCO's, they should be able to contribute almost immediately
01-11-2010 11:54 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-11-2010 04:54 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Steve,

I'm glad you have inside recruiting information directly apparently from Coach English based on your comments posted here. I don't know how Coach English cannot comment publicly on specific recruits according to NCAA rules but can give access to you. English could comment himself on JUCOs or transfers if they are already enrolled.

I don't have direct or indirect access to English. 03-phew

I do have and from time to time can develop sources and resources. Sometimes I get good info; other times, I come up dry.

It isn't like folks can say, "have you learned anything new today?" (and repeat that question tomorrow).

I'm going to do some sluething tonight. Might have found a promising lead for one recruiting angle.

All of that said, now that I pretty well understand English's philosophy I'm not going to go against it.

I might post the outlines of what I might hear but I'm not going to thumb my nose at him and dump anything I learn into the Internet.
01-11-2010 12:18 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Since Barksdale was mentioned in the article here's his Scout profile:

http://easternmichigan.scout.com/a.z?s=3...id=4324199
01-11-2010 08:27 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(01-11-2010 12:18 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-11-2010 04:54 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Steve,

I don't have direct or indirect access to English. 03-phew

I do have and from time to time can develop sources and resources. Sometimes I get good info; other times, I come up dry.

It isn't like folks can say, "have you learned anything new today?" (and repeat that question tomorrow).

I'm going to do some sluething tonight. Might have found a promising lead for one recruiting angle.

All of that said, now that I pretty well understand English's philosophy I'm not going to go against it.

I might post the outlines of what I might hear but I'm not going to thumb my nose at him and dump anything I learn into the Internet.

Same here, spotty at best because I am not on campuse as much as I use to be.
01-11-2010 09:59 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-11-2010 11:08 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-11-2010 09:43 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Goricki would have been wise to consult this forum and then report all of the committed players that we've identified. Generally our list comes from published reports so it is not just internet rumor. This report is a little wreckless and misleading by Goricki. I'm surprised.

Another player mentioned in the M Live thread posted by a unknown person that Steve mentined on this board was Martez Kelly who purportly was offered and retracted. I saw Barksdale name on Scout but EMU didn't offer him. I don't think English is a recruit Michigan first person. We may see more JUCOs than we ever did under Rasnick.

'79,

Trying to figure Michigan out is not easy.

There is a nice long premium article in rivals.com (do you subscribe?) about how MAC programs seem to have a diminished interest in MI h.s. football players.

This seems to be MAC-wide. It is NOT English!!

It is not just the '10 class. It was true for a number of years. I don't know why.

The article has empirical data for a number of recruiting years.

What I find sad is there is a poster on Mlive (Eaglewest) who is now peddling the Goricki article which has been condemned in this thread as poorly researched and essentially mis-information.

With posters like that does EMU need foes? Something about friendly fire... 05-nono
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2010 04:47 PM by emu steve.)
01-17-2010 04:44 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Steve,

I don't subscribe to Rivals premium services. I did see Wooden and your reference to the article.

Fans post what they post, blogs, sport columnist and message boards do as well. I don't have the time to read all the newspapers or other sources so I appreciate it when posters like yourself and others post media reports here.

My concern is that the newspaper writer either didn't even give the school or coach English a chance to review the article before being distributed or the poor research of the writer went uncorrected or uncommented on. The result is unfortunate.

Hopefully Coach English will have a successful recruiting year and the facts will speak up louder than this article.
01-17-2010 04:58 PM
TimBuck2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: eastern
(01-17-2010 04:58 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Steve,

I don't subscribe to Rivals premium services. I did see Wooden and your reference to the article.

Fans post what they post, blogs, sport columnist and message boards do as well. I don't have the time to read all the newspapers or other sources so I appreciate it when posters like yourself and others post media reports here.

My concern is that the newspaper writer either didn't even give the school or coach English a chance to review the article before being distributed or the poor research of the writer went uncorrected or uncommented on. The result is unfortunate.

Hopefully Coach English will have a successful recruiting year and the facts will speak up louder than this article.

sure the newspaper writer may not have done a good job of reporting the facts/bad research, but to openly suggest the writer, editor, publisher, whomever should give anyone not associated with the publication a glance at the article before it is published is outlandish. it's called prior restraint and it is in the constitution. recruiting is difficult -- there are a lot of things to sift through, which is why rivals and the likes can charge a nice price for info.
01-17-2010 05:26 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

TimBuck2:

I support people's rights to express their opinions. Usually though a publication like the News will let you see the article before publication IF you ask them as courtesy. Newspapers like to get things accurate. And how do I know this? From working with my employer's public relations department.

You know by posting any article like this one from the News anyone can have access to it and read it whether its here or on M-Live its there for the public to review.
01-17-2010 06:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

my confidence in the media's review came last year where an online source (forgot which) ran the following headline (this is true, unbelievable, but true):

"Maryland drivers have bad gas".

Reading the article it seems that some water got into a gasoline storage tank and drivers near Baltimore bought bad gasoline.

Unbelievable that someone wrote that headline and secondly no one reviewed it.
01-17-2010 09:59 PM
Cantwell Offline
Water Engineer

Has anyone commented on this? http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/323299
01-18-2010 11:11 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I posted this on a different thread. I dont' know what is happening but it isn't good. This from the Massilion Ohio blog and from Bo Grunder's father: PS DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

Beware of snakes laying in the grass.Much to our dismay last week coach Hall gets a PHONE CALL from Eastern Michigam telling him 4 of their football coaches have been fired and that they pulled 7 scholarships off the table,including Bo`s.The head coach was not fired and he supposedly was the one who wanted Bo so bad to help lay the foundation to turn their football program into a top MAC program.Bo did not even get a phone call from coach English or any explanation face to face,just a message relayed from coach Hall.
I don`t know what those coaches did to get fired or why they pulled those scholarships but the way we were told was very unprofessional.I would caution any football player to think twice about committing to Eastern Michigan,after this experience.Bo just visited the Air Force Academy this past weekend and was very impressed with their program and the opportunities that going there would give a young man for playing football and going into the military.He is seriously thinking about going there and he still is going to visit a couple other schools before making a final decision.
A majority of schools have overlooked him due to his size and weight and it kind of puts a chip on his shoulder that despite all of his accomplishments on the football field and in the classroom that more schools would not be interested.Wherever he winds up they will be getting a heck of a football player,student and human being.Its too bad more schools can not see the heart and drive that he has to succeed and what a great competitor he is.With all of the coaching staffs that have changed schools recently around the country it is hard to really trust what any coach tells you.As an athlete you better like the school itself a lot before you decide to go there because you never know if the coaches recruiting you will be there a year or two down the road.
The Air Force Academy seems to be a different animal because the majority of their coaches have graduated from the Academy and love being there with other young men going thru the same things that they went thru.Their head coach was offered the job at Tennessee,while we were there, but turned them down because he said that nowhere else in the country would he have the chance to coach the quality of young men that he has being at the Academy.They have gone to 3 straight bowl games and had 3 straight 8 game winning seasons and the Mountain West Confreence they play in has some very good teams.They offer a very unique opportunity as an athlete and as a student and you have a guaranteed job for 5 years right after graduation,starting out at $65,000 a year right out of college.They also have a 8-1 student teacher ratio and graduate 90% of all their students.Only Stanford has as high of a graduation rate in all of the U.S.A. I could go on and on about all of the extra perks the military offers but this post is already too long for most people on here to want to read.It is a 5 year committment in the Air Force after graduation but you will be making $85,000 minumum by that time and have all your medical bills picked up by Uncle Sam as well as having 3 months paid vacation and if you want to get a Masters or PHD it would all be paid for by the government.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 11:18 AM by emu79.)
01-18-2010 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.