Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East driving UC bankrupt
Bookmark and Share
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
Big East driving UC bankrupt
http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=412333

For all those who want to move up to the Big Time of college football beware what lies ahead in expense.

Even UC with all its done the last few years with back to back BCS bowls has lost its coach like a MAC school to a bigger program.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 05:33 PM by Airport KC.)
01-10-2010 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
RE: Big East driving UC bankrupt
deficit spending yes.... bankrupt... no
01-10-2010 05:41 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2010 05:41 PM)victory engineer Wrote:  deficit spending yes.... bankrupt... no

Temple may find themselves back into the Big East soon. Temple is spending almost as much on football as UC. Temple's basketball program is back in the top 25.

If the Big Ten adds Rutgers, the Big East will have to reload with eastern representation.
01-10-2010 06:27 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(01-10-2010 06:27 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  
(01-10-2010 05:41 PM)victory engineer Wrote:  deficit spending yes.... bankrupt... no

Temple may find themselves back into the Big East soon. Temple is spending almost as much on football as UC. Temple's basketball program is back in the top 25.

If the Big Ten adds Rutgers, the Big East will have to reload with eastern representation.

The big ten isn't going to add Rutgers so its ok.
01-10-2010 07:10 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
i heard they were adding rutgers and northern illinois.
01-10-2010 09:05 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-10-2010 09:05 PM)pono Wrote:  i heard they were adding rutgers and northern illinois.
Yeah but we turned the Big 11 down hoping for a shot at the Big 12. If all else fails, there is always the BE. We are just too good for the MAC. 05-stirthepot 03-lmfao
01-10-2010 09:30 PM
1c0noclast Offline
Banned

I Root For: Karl
(01-10-2010 06:27 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  Temple may find themselves back into the Big East soon. Temple is spending almost as much on football as UC. Temple's basketball program is back in the top 25.

Honestly, the Big East should invite four football-only members to create a legit playoff game in December. And Temple would be one of those teams. The teams would need institutional backing and potential to become members of the split football side of the Big East for all-sports and Temple, with a top-25 basketball program, fits well and fits the geography of the conference.

And this would re-balance the MAC nicely.

Go Karl! 04-bow
01-10-2010 10:21 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(01-10-2010 06:27 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  

And from what I know, we spend our money pretty wisely (albeit conservatively). We dont spend millions and millions on athletic villages and crap like that to put us in debt. We have renovations for athletics planned, and a basketball practice facility planned for the near future. Hopefully, an indoor football practice facility and on-campus stadium are planned for the next 15 years.
01-11-2010 01:39 AM
G.O. Flashes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent.State
(01-10-2010 09:30 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(01-10-2010 09:05 PM)pono Wrote:  i heard they were adding rutgers and northern illinois.
Yeah but we turned the Big 11 down hoping for a shot at the Big 12. If all else fails, there is always the BE. We are just too good for the MAC. 05-stirthepot 03-lmfao

Just check your history Robert. Some years back NIU thought it was too good for the MAC and went independent. It didn't take long for it to come crawling back to the MAC.
01-11-2010 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Frozenbaugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ball State
(01-11-2010 05:11 PM)G.O. Flashes Wrote:  

Just check your history Robert. Some years back NIU thought it was too good for the MAC and went independent. It didn't take long for it to come crawling back to the MAC.

RobertN was being facetious.
01-11-2010 05:39 PM
seeds99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(01-10-2010 05:33 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=412333

For all those who want to move up to the Big Time of college football beware what lies ahead in expense.

Even UC with all its done the last few years with back to back BCS bowls has lost its coach like a MAC school to a bigger program.

DePaul is having a ton of problems as well. There has been some talk of them leaving, not sure how serious the talk is, just some conversations on Chicago sports radio.
01-11-2010 05:44 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
The Big East splits its BCS revenue 16 ways, even though they only have 8 BCS schools. That's a recipe for losing money.
01-11-2010 05:59 PM
Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
But in Football, they split it 8 ways. Why add anyone else? They get 5 OOC games and routinely get 5-6 teams eligible out of 8. With 5 OOC, they might be the first conference to get 100% bowl participation in the next few years. They just need a year where no one is dominant in conference and end up with 8-4, 7-5 and 6-6 teams.
01-11-2010 06:52 PM
Advertisement

victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
I would rather stay in the MAC as is the a big east football only member... All sports or nothing for the Big East..
01-11-2010 10:10 PM
TU_NY Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Temple
Regardless of what happens with Big Ten expansion / conference-raiding, the Big East cannot go on as is forever.

The non-football schools are dragging the conference into football irrelevance. Since there is presently a moratorium on schools moving from lower levels to FBS (i.e. FCS Villanova jumping to FBS), this would seem to suggest that a split between the FBS and non-FBS Big East schools is inevitable. Even if the moratorium is lifted, it is unlikely that schools like Villanova and Georgetown would make the jump.

Temple seems to be wisely positioning itself for an all-sports invitation to the Big East when the split between the football and non-football schools (that many feel is inevitable) occurs.
01-12-2010 07:59 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

(01-12-2010 07:59 PM)TU_NY Wrote:  Regardless of what happens with Big Ten expansion / conference-raiding, the Big East cannot go on as is forever.

The non-football schools are dragging the conference into football irrelevance. Since there is presently a moratorium on schools moving from lower levels to FBS (i.e. FCS Villanova jumping to FBS), this would seem to suggest that a split between the FBS and non-FBS Big East schools is inevitable. Even if the moratorium is lifted, it is unlikely that schools like Villanova and Georgetown would make the jump.

Temple seems to be wisely positioning itself for an all-sports invitation to the Big East when the split between the football and non-football schools (that many feel is inevitable) occurs.

I don't think aplit between Big East FB and BB schools is going to happen anytime soon. Basketball is very important and the football schools would much rather be associated with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, and Notre Dame than Southern Miss, East Carolina,ect.....they would maybe take 1 ECU type school but not wholesale absorb CUSA East pushing membership to 12.
01-13-2010 01:01 AM
G.O. Flashes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Kent.State
(01-11-2010 05:39 PM)Frozenbaugh Wrote:  
(01-11-2010 05:11 PM)G.O. Flashes Wrote:  

RobertN was being facetious.

Sorry RobertN. I'm just so used to most of folks on here being so full of themselves...and other unmentionables.
01-19-2010 03:05 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
We are too good for the Big12 as well. It is the Big10 for The Northern Illinois University or nothing. We just may go back as independent and snub our noses at everyone.
01-19-2010 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.