Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Yankee Bowl keeps NHL Winter Classic out
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Yankee Bowl keeps NHL Winter Classic out
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/136020

Guess there would not be enough time between the two games for the NHL to get an ice surface set up.

I know, not a Big East problem, but the stadium has been a target for an outdoor game for some time. The NHL fan in me would like to see it happen one day soon.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2010 03:33 PM by mattsarz.)
01-07-2010 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Yankee Bowl keeps NHL Winter Classic out
You could always have this game the day after Christmas the year that the NHL plans to have the game in Yankee Stadium. A week is more than enough time to have the game on New Years Day. I know this because they had a week preparation between a Bills game and the Bruins-Pens game 2 years ago.
01-07-2010 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(01-07-2010 03:49 PM)animus Wrote:  You could always have this game the day after Christmas the year that the NHL plans to have the game in Yankee Stadium. A week is more than enough time to have the game on New Years Day. I know this because they had a week preparation between a Bills game and the Bruins-Pens game 2 years ago.

Yea but I read in the papers here that the NHL did a 24/7 operation to get things ready for that. The ice is really much better if they have 2 or more weeks to do things. Granted while I think this Yankee Bowl thing is great, I'm not sure Yankee Stadium is a good facility due to its field dimensions. Citi Field would be vastly superior as to closeness to the field and all that.
01-07-2010 04:00 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators
(01-07-2010 04:03 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  By the way, if any of you REALLY want to see an outdoor hockey game in New York state, don't go to the Bronx, go to Syracuse next month. The Syracuse Crunch & Binghamton Senators will be having a game at the State Fairgrounds. It's the first ever outdoor AHL game (the AHL is like the AAA of hockey if you didn't know). Should be a good time, and will have plenty of hockey legends from NYS NHL teams (Rangers, Sabres, and ugh Islanders) on hand. Supposedly a real celebration of New York hockey. I'm going to try to go, schedule permitting.

The Islanders are the future Kansas City franchise, lol.
01-07-2010 04:05 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Bring the Winter Classic to Carter-Finley Stadium! Problem solved.
01-07-2010 07:12 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators
(01-07-2010 07:12 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Bring the Winter Classic to Carter-Finley Stadium! Problem solved.

Its too far south to hold it honestly. I'd imagine DC is the absolute positive max southernmost place they could do it.
01-07-2010 08:16 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(01-07-2010 08:16 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(01-07-2010 07:12 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Bring the Winter Classic to Carter-Finley Stadium! Problem solved.

Its too far south to hold it honestly. I'd imagine DC is the absolute positive max southernmost place they could do it.

Very true, although it probably would've worked this year.

A buddy of mine went to the game at Wrigley and had a blast (but nearly froze to death).
01-07-2010 08:36 PM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'd like to see Toronto vs Montreal but the Toronto bowl game might cause a problem + the nbc folks might not like it...the nhl really should have two games in the winter classic, a Canadian and American game...nothing wrong with hosting a game at citi field, rangers vs islanders/devils works
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2010 10:48 AM by bluesox.)
01-08-2010 10:44 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(01-08-2010 10:44 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I'd like to see Toronto vs Montreal but the Toronto bowl game might cause a problem + the nbc folks might not like it...the nhl really should have two games in the winter classic, a Canadian and American game...nothing wrong with hosting a game at citi field, rangers vs islanders/devils works

Actually the NHL is talking about doing two outdoor games a year in exactly such a manner. National Hockey Day in Canada which is a triple-header of all six Canadian clubs would have one of the games as an outdoor game rotating amongst the six cities. And then you'd have the Winter Classic still rotating amongst any cold-weather clubs.
01-08-2010 12:24 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I can see them playing a winter game outdoors in Winnepeg or Alberta, when the temperature is -20° with 40 mph winds...
01-08-2010 01:00 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(01-08-2010 01:00 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I can see them playing a winter game outdoors in Winnepeg or Alberta, when the temperature is -20° with 40 mph winds...

The 1st regular season one was in Edmonton, Alberta in 2003 at the Eskimos stadium. They did a legends game between the Canadiens vs. Oilers alums, including Wayne Gretzsky, then had a regular season game.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2010 01:27 PM by mattsarz.)
01-08-2010 01:25 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(01-08-2010 10:44 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I'd like to see Toronto vs Montreal but the Toronto bowl game might cause a problem + the nbc folks might not like it...the nhl really should have two games in the winter classic, a Canadian and American game...nothing wrong with hosting a game at citi field, rangers vs islanders/devils works

They likely wouldn't do it at Rogers Centre because the Blue Jays lock the roof once the season ends. That's why they haven't opened it for the two regular season games the Bills have played in Toronto.
01-08-2010 01:26 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.