Open TigerLinks

NTR--MLB Hall of Fame--what a joke
Bookmark and Share
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
NTR--MLB Hall of Fame--what a joke
Only Andre Dawson.

Roberto Alomar didn't make the cut, nor did Barry Larkin.

Complete joke that Ozzie Smith is a first ballot HOF'er and Alomar doesn't make it. I guess Alomar should have learned to do a backflip.
01-06-2010 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WimmerTime Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: NTR--MLB Hall of Fame--what a joke
(01-06-2010 02:15 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Only Andre Dawson.

Roberto Alomar didn't make the cut, nor did Barry Larkin.

Complete joke that Ozzie Smith is a first ballot HOF'er and Alomar doesn't make it. I guess Alomar should have learned to do a backflip.

Well at the least The Hawk got in.
01-06-2010 02:20 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I doubt Alomar will get much love because of the spitting incident.
01-06-2010 02:23 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

I Root For: Rationality
The baseball HOF will always be a joke and I refuse to acknowledge it until Pete Rose is allowed in as a player. he admitted betting on baseball as a manager and they have no proof and he still denies doing it while he was a player. His accomplishments are not tainted by steroid use nor any other drug yet he's the all-time hits leader and might have been the most overachieving athlete in any american sport in history yet the MLB refuses to let him into the HOF. I couldnt care less if the HOF closed tomorrow.
01-06-2010 02:28 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-06-2010 02:23 PM)tigertommy Wrote:  I doubt Alomar will get much love because of the spitting incident.

That is too bad, especially since he played eight more years after the incident, and he and the ump (Hirshbeck) made good.

The stupid thing is that a player either is, or isn't, HOF worthy. Alomar will likely get in this year, but what will he have done to improve his situation, numbers wise, in the next year to make his resume better.
01-06-2010 02:32 PM
SmokeyOneKenobi Offline
the silly son-of-a-bitch

I Root For: Milk & Cookies
(01-06-2010 02:23 PM)tigertommy Wrote:  I doubt Alomar will get much love because of the spitting incident.

I haven't liked him since then
01-06-2010 02:39 PM
Advertisement

tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

(01-06-2010 02:28 PM)homefry20 Wrote:  The baseball HOF will always be a joke and I refuse to acknowledge it until Pete Rose is allowed in as a player. he admitted betting on baseball as a manager and they have no proof and he still denies doing it while he was a player. His accomplishments are not tainted by steroid use nor any other drug yet he's the all-time hits leader and might have been the most overachieving athlete in any american sport in history yet the MLB refuses to let him into the HOF. I couldnt care less if the HOF closed tomorrow.

I agreed when it was just because he bet on baseball. Once I found out he bet against his own team that kind of changed my view. That is an abomination that pretty much ends all debate. Shoeless Joe has waited 90 years to be exonerated and it hasn't happened yet.
01-06-2010 02:40 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

(01-06-2010 02:40 PM)tigertommy Wrote:  
(01-06-2010 02:28 PM)homefry20 Wrote:  The baseball HOF will always be a joke and I refuse to acknowledge it until Pete Rose is allowed in as a player. he admitted betting on baseball as a manager and they have no proof and he still denies doing it while he was a player. His accomplishments are not tainted by steroid use nor any other drug yet he's the all-time hits leader and might have been the most overachieving athlete in any american sport in history yet the MLB refuses to let him into the HOF. I couldnt care less if the HOF closed tomorrow.

I agreed when it was just because he bet on baseball. Once I found out he bet against his own team that kind of changed my view. That is an abomination that pretty much ends all debate. Shoeless Joe has waited 90 years to be exonerated and it hasn't happened yet.

I might be the only one but I believe that the HOF of any sport is about stats and production on the field. How big of a screw up and outcast you were in your personal life or else shouldnt matter as long as your stats arent tainted. Maybe thats just me but I wont support a program that willing accepts habitual drug addicts but seem to not care but wont support their all time hits leader because of his one bad habit that occured after his career was complete.
01-06-2010 02:54 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

(01-06-2010 02:54 PM)homefry20 Wrote:  

I might be the only one but I believe that the HOF of any sport is about stats and production on the field. How big of a screw up and outcast you were in your personal life or else shouldnt matter as long as your stats arent tainted. Maybe thats just me but I wont support a program that willing accepts habitual drug addicts but seem to not care but wont support their all time hits leader because of his one bad habit that occured after his career was complete.

I agree but he bet against a baseball team he managed. That is different from betting on other teams or betting while not part of a MLB team.
01-06-2010 02:59 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

(01-06-2010 02:59 PM)tigertommy Wrote:  

I agree but he bet against a baseball team he managed. That is different from betting on other teams or betting while not part of a MLB team.

Agreed. Im not condoning anything he did and really dont have a problem with him being banished from baseball but I still think he should be put in the HOF with or without lifting his lifetime ban from ever being part of the game. Riddle me this, If he had waited more than five years before he began to manage and bet against his team after already being elected to the HOF, would the MLB have removed him from it after the fact?
01-06-2010 03:02 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

(01-06-2010 03:02 PM)homefry20 Wrote:  
(01-06-2010 02:59 PM)tigertommy Wrote:  

Agreed. Im not condoning anything he did and really dont have a problem with him being banished from baseball but I still think he should be put in the HOF with or without lifting his lifetime ban from ever being part of the game. Riddle me this, If he had waited more than five years before he began to manage and bet against his team after already being elected to the HOF, would the MLB have removed him from it after the fact?

Probably so. Two things you DON'T do in baseball. Call the ump a CS'er and bet on baseball.
Tanking a game you have bet on is one of the worst sins in all sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2010 03:06 PM by tigertommy.)
01-06-2010 03:04 PM
Advertisement

cwise Offline
That's what she said....

The HOF is sort of a good ole boys club. They also seem to like to make people wait. Larkin and Alomar are two VERY worthy players, both hitting and fielding. They should get in.
01-06-2010 03:06 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I've been texting a friend of mine over this for the last hour. There is no way Dawson deserves to be in.
01-06-2010 03:09 PM
cwise Offline
That's what she said....

Homefry is right. Rose should be in. Also, is there proof he "tanked games?" If not, he should be in the hall.
01-06-2010 03:10 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-06-2010 03:09 PM)Stammers Wrote:  I've been texting a friend of mine over this for the last hour. There is no way Dawson deserves to be in.

Aw, I disagree. Dawson was a GREAT player. One of the few in his era to mix speed and power, offense and defense. I think his numbers hold up well for the era, and since I want McGriff in, I really can't argue against Dawson and want to include McGriff.

On another side note, (keeping the Canadian theme) the treatment of Tim Raines is a travesty.
01-06-2010 03:13 PM
homefry20 Offline
Pay Me at This Window

(01-06-2010 03:10 PM)cwise Wrote:  Homefry is right. Rose should be in. Also, is there proof he "tanked games?" If not, he should be in the hall.

There is proof he bets on his own team to lose and made some very questionable managerial decisions such as putting in a relief pitcher that the batter had success against, making the lineup less advantageous, et al. Im not saying he was trying to tank it but he didnt do anything to help himself out.
01-06-2010 03:28 PM
Advertisement

Watauga9 Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Rose SHOULD be the HOF as a player. What he did as a manager was wrong and stupid, but it doesn't negate what he did as a player. We aren't talking about inducting Rose in as a manager.

That's all that matters.

Unfortunately, the Rose situation will be the modern day Shoeless Joe story for baseball.
01-06-2010 03:56 PM
Divided Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers and Rebs
Pete Rose should be in, listing only his playing statistics...

and whoever commented about him being the most overacheiving player to ever play the game, you hit the nail on the head!
01-06-2010 04:00 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

He admitted to betting against his team. Moves he made in those games were very odd. He tanked them.
Great player who just turned into a really bad guy who made some really bad decisions.
Watauga9 Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Just wait til next year......bunch of steroid abusers coming up on the ballot:

Next year’s ballot also will include newcomers Rafael Palmeiro, former Tiger Juan Gonzalez, Larry Walker, Jeff Bagwell, John Franco and Kevin Brown.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.