Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Did You Become a Fan?
Bookmark and Share
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
How Did You Become a Fan?
I've always wondered what everyone's bios are. How did we all become fans? MJS, I know you're a faculty member, but what about everyone else?

I myself am 31, and have been watching since Newell was the coach. My dad taught psychology for many years at UALR and took me to the games. I've been a rabid fan ever since. I never went to college at UALR (went to Hendrix), but being raised a Trojan fan has kept me one for life.

What about everyone else?
01-05-2010 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
RE: How Did You Become a Fan?
(01-05-2010 09:48 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I've always wondered what everyone's bios are. How did we all become fans? MJS, I know you're a faculty member, but what about everyone else?

I myself am 31, and have been watching since Newell was the coach. My dad taught psychology for many years at UALR and took me to the games. I've been a rabid fan ever since. I never went to college at UALR (went to Hendrix), but being raised a Trojan fan has kept me one for life.

This is an interesting post. I hadn't really thought about how we all became Trojan fans.

I like many Arkansans was a Hog fan. I quit the Hogs when they fired Lou Holtz, and then later Eddie Sutton, causing him to crawl all the way to Kentucky. I am a graduate of Henderson, and have a masters from the UofA. I got started watching the Trojans on TV when Mike Newell came. I liked the style of game his team played. I was a high school administrator at the time, and UALR gave the high school coaches complimentary tickets, and I was talking to the coach after watching one of the games, and he asked if I'd like to go see them play. He gave me tickets and I went to the Statehouse and saw them in person. I was hooked.

Even though it didn't seat but two or three thousand people, more and more fans began going and they began to sell out, and the place was loud. It really had a bigtime atmosphere. I really liked playing at the Statehouse. I didn't miss any home games the rest of the season and or in Newells second year, I started buying season tickets after the Notre Dame win.
01-05-2010 10:44 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR
(01-05-2010 09:48 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  I've always wondered what everyone's bios are. How did we all become fans? MJS, I know you're a faculty member, but what about everyone else?

I sporadically attended UALR games while a student during the 2000-01 season. Then I start going more often with some of my buddies during the 02-03 season to support one of my best friends nephew who played for UALR. Then the rest is history...although I'm a supporter from afar now. The good thing is my son loves the Trojans since he was going to games with me the past three seasons.
01-05-2010 10:46 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I was actually a fan before I moved here from New Orleans in 1982. I knew in February we would be moving here for my wife's internship. I remember looking at a list of all the conference basketball standings in the paper one day in the New Orlean Times-Picayune and saw Arkansas-Little Rock at the top of the standings in something called the TransAmerican Athletic Conference. I immediately became excited that there was a DI team in Little Rock that I would be able to follow. When I got here most people I asked didn't know UALR had a team. Most of the small number that did, did not think they were DI. One guy I met was aware of the program and commented that they drew about 200-300 a game. I, of course, assumed he meant 2000-3000. He didn't. Anyway, I began going to games in 1982-83, bought season tickets at a silent auction the next year, and became a regular season ticket holder Newell's first season. I actually didn't start teaching at UALR (one course a semester) until 2 years after I moved here.

So one point I'll make is that real basketball fans will find the program themselves (ask Ynocpirt). It doesn't take give-aways, midget wrestling at halftime, massive advertising, girls in spandex, or even regular NCAA appearances. I know Ynocpirt (who like most on this board, I met because of UALR basketball) and I enjoy watching good competitive DI basketball and that's why we go to the games. I assume Michaelspappy drives down from Booneville for the same reason. Folks who aren't basketball fans may come out once in awhile because of the promotions or during an occasional great season, but they'll quit coming as soon as the cheap tickets stop or the win total goes down. I don't know how many folks I brought to games over the years who are real appreciative and tell me what a great time they had. Of course, I never see them come back to a game on their own.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2010 10:58 PM by mjs.)
01-05-2010 10:55 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2010 10:46 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

I sporadically attended UALR games while a student during the 2000-01 season. Then I start going more often with some of my buddies during the 02-03 season to support one of my best friends nephew who played for UALR. Then the rest is history...although I'm a supporter from afar now. The good thing is my son loves the Trojans since he was going to games with me the past three seasons.

Alum, are you in Atlanta permanently, or is there a chance you'll be back in LR? We don't need to lose good fans like yourself.
01-05-2010 10:56 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(01-05-2010 10:56 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(01-05-2010 10:46 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

Alum, are you in Atlanta permanently, or is there a chance you'll be back in LR? We don't need to lose good fans like yourself.

I wouldn't say permanent but at least the next 2 years or so while my wife attends grad school. Then who knows. I'll see you guys at the tournament in March though.
01-05-2010 11:05 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

My first experience at a Trojan game was the conference finals at Barton Coloseum against Georgia Southern when Ron Kestenbaum was the coach, and we lost on a last second shot by Eric Hightower. I don't remember the exact year, but several years later the program was threatened to be shut down, and MJS called me and asked if I would buy a season ticket, and I did, and I was hooked. The games were being played at Barton, and Newell was the coach. Later I started buying a ticket for my son in law, and now I buy tickets for him and my two grandsons, 14 and 10. My oldest grandson has been coming to games since he was around two years old, or maybe younger. He's a real fan. Being a Trojan fan has given me many years of enjoyable experiences, some bittersweet when we have lost important games, but hope always exists and I hope to be around to enjoy the games for a lot more seasons.04-cheers
01-06-2010 01:02 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Before I tell the tell, I will say the Tip In club sold me on this program.

Everywhere I have lived I have bought season tickets to the local basketball team: UAM, SLU, here.

1st game was a pre-season game at barton before moving to Saint Louis. I lived with a friend in LR for about a month before the move. I would go to the Little Rock Athletic Club and play ball with Corlis and Sunday. The NBA was on strike so they played in the noon pickup games. You had to be a player to step in the 1st court at that point. I have posted up Corlis and scored and dunked with PJ Brown playing on the other team.

I am now 40 and can't fart without help :( Pull my finger....

Anyway, I looked at getting tickets at Memphis too but CUSA was breaking up and what was left was nothing more than the SBC + Memphis. Who wants to drive 2 hours each way to see a 20 point beating?

UALR basketball has provided me with a lot of freinds (this means you) through the Tip in Club mostly.

After meeting Steve and Chris I could tell this program was headed in the right direction keep my money local.
01-06-2010 06:39 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
I became disgusted with Nolan's shenanigans and the arrogance of the Fayetteville program and started looking around for someone else to follow. Little Rock was (at that time) the next closest D1 program in the state, and I knew the Moncrief name, so I jumped on the bandwagon. Been there ever since. Glad to be here.
01-06-2010 08:09 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2010 08:09 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I became disgusted with Nolan's shenanigans and the arrogance of the Fayetteville program and started looking around for someone else to follow. Little Rock was (at that time) the next closest D1 program in the state, and I knew the Moncrief name, so I jumped on the bandwagon. Been there ever since. Glad to be here.

And we're happy that you did. Of course you realized that at 4-24, the program had no way to go but up. Sort of like buying a stock at the very bottom before it shot back up.04-cheers
01-06-2010 12:09 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Buy low, sell high.
01-06-2010 12:29 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-06-2010 12:29 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Buy low, sell high.

You got it!04-cheers
01-06-2010 12:36 PM
mdtntrojanceo Offline
Bench Warmer

I became a fan in '83 or '84 when i heard Max Morgan's beautiful voice on the radio announcing a game. I was hooked! Decided to check out the games in person and like many others here on this board went to games at the Statehouse Convention Center----rocking place for a game! Coach Newell was always nice to us when we spoke with him in public....remember the sportscoat we got him? Who can forget the great times we had when the Tip In Club started? It was great to hear about the program up close and to listen to the coaches, etc speak. Glad to know that the club has continued. After we moved to Nashville 20 years ago, I still considered myself to be a Trojan Fan and have followed them through the best means I can find. Prior to the internet I would tune my radio to 920 am( or whatever station carried the games) in order to get the games....had to go to the top of the hill in order to get reception....seems like the streaming internet broadcasts are like that sometimes:). Although I never played basketball(verticle leap measured less than 1/2 inch and couldn't shoot) and never attended UALR I consider myself to be versed in the game and as stated before a Trojan Fan! Yes this year's team has struggled but given the perspective of being a fan for all these years I know the worm will turn. It may not be this year so we may have to wait for it to turn. I think Steve gets the team ready to play but agree that the offensive is lacking some parts. So thanks for asking...GO TROJANS!!
01-06-2010 02:42 PM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
I started following the team in the paper when I was in High School and through the 86 NCAA tournament. My Dad took me and some friends to the NIT games the next year and we were hooked. The next year after we graduated HS and moved to different places we would get together at Trojan games. I started buying season tickets in 89 and have ever since and probably will in the future.
01-06-2010 06:57 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Great posts, everyone. It's great hearing everyone's story on how they got to be fans. Strange that so few of us actually attended the university. I swear, is there ANY on-campus promotion? 04-cheers
01-07-2010 10:04 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2010 10:04 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  Great posts, everyone. It's great hearing everyone's story on how they got to be fans. Strange that so few of us actually attended the university. I swear, is there ANY on-campus promotion? 04-cheers

I believe that's sort of Rashad's job. To rally the student body, and get them out to the games. Sadly, school doesn't begin until Monday the 11th if I'm correct, so some or many of the students won't be around this Saturday, which is a shame. Maybe the promotion (great idea Chris),will bring some new folks out. And we old farts are going to have to yell a little louder until the students return.04-cheers
01-07-2010 10:13 AM
Advertisement

Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
I graduated from UALR in 1994. But I started following the Trojans in the 1994-95 season with Wimp and became a die-hard after the 1995 SBC tournament experience at Barton. I started a web page for fans in 1996 and bought the littlerocktrojans.com domain in 2001. We have come a long way yet have gone nowhere. 03-hissyfit
01-07-2010 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2010 10:13 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(01-07-2010 10:04 AM)eh9198 Wrote:  Great posts, everyone. It's great hearing everyone's story on how they got to be fans. Strange that so few of us actually attended the university. I swear, is there ANY on-campus promotion? 04-cheers

I believe that's sort of Rashad's job. To rally the student body, and get them out to the games. Sadly, school doesn't begin until Monday the 11th if I'm correct, so some or many of the students won't be around this Saturday, which is a shame. Maybe the promotion (great idea Chris),will bring some new folks out. And we old farts are going to have to yell a little louder until the students return.:cheers:

While the number of students coming to games is certainly up, I haven't noticed them getting loud and involved. I've watched them some, and most of them are like us older fans, they just sit on their asses throughout the game.
01-07-2010 10:18 AM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
(01-07-2010 10:18 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I believe that's sort of Rashad's job. To rally the student body, and get them out to the games. Sadly, school doesn't begin until Monday the 11th if I'm correct, so some or many of the students won't be around this Saturday, which is a shame. Maybe the promotion (great idea Chris),will bring some new folks out. And we old farts are going to have to yell a little louder until the students return.:cheers:

While the number of students coming to games is certainly up, I haven't noticed them getting loud and involved. I've watched them some, and most of them are like us older fans, they just sit on their asses throughout the game.

They do get involved when the game gets to a critical stage, don't they? I've heard some noise in there before.
01-07-2010 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2010 10:20 AM)Robert C Wrote:  
(01-07-2010 10:18 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

They do get involved when the game gets to a critical stage, don't they? I've heard some noise in there before.

I see a great increase in student involvement in the games this season. If that can continue, it will certainly help. It used to be that the only time they'd come was to Homecoming, and they'd leave after the ceremonies. Not they come and stay and cheer. As a long time fan, I see a big positive difference, and it will get better as more student housing is built.04-cheers
01-07-2010 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.