Open TigerLinks

ESPN OTL's Take On Uk/X "Cleaning House" [merged]
Bookmark and Share
EarthBoundMisfit Online
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
ESPN to Focus on Calipari's UK Cleaning House
http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2009/12/30/...ing-house/

Calipari and the UK basketball players he did not bring back for this season. Here’s the publicity release:

Outside the Lines (Sunday, 9 a.m. ET, ESPN)

When John Calipari became Kentucky basketball coach this summer, he inherited a roster put together by his predecessor, Billy Gillispie. But Calipari needed roster room for his own recruits, including sensational freshman John Wall, and six of Gillispie’s players say they were encouraged to leave. Since athletic scholarships are renewed on an annual basis, the players had little recourse but to leave if they actually wanted to play, so they left. Some players tell Outside the Lines Calipari told them that they were unlikely to get much playing time in his system if they stayed. Several players said the dramatic roster turnover at Kentucky is an example of how coaches have little loyalty to returning student-athletes, especially when a new coach is hired. Kentucky officials say Calipari just wanted players who fit his style of play. Outside the Lines’ Tom Farrey examines Kentucky’s roster turnover under John Calipari.

“I thought I was going to finish my career there, graduate from UK.” — Kevin Galloway, guard, who left Kentucky after meeting with new coach John Calipari

“It hurt because I abided by the rules. I did everything I was supposed to. … Kept up a good GPA, went to class every day, didn’t fail any tests. …. I feel like just for following my part of the contract, they should follow theirs.” — Matt Pilgrim, forward, on feeling pressured to leave UK

“He was very clear and very honest that (some) may not fit this dribble-drive approach. …It’s a decision that they jointly made, that they might find more playing time elsewhere.” — Dr. Lee Todd Jr., president of the University of Kentucky, on what Calipari told players who eventually left

“If you talk to the average scholarship athlete, they believe they’re on a four-year scholarship or maybe a five-year scholarship. …. But the reality is, there’s no such thing as a four or five-year scholarship. There’s only a one-year renewable.” — Ramogi Huma, head of an advocacy group that lobbies the NCAA and government on behalf of athletes

This might be part of the reason for the strained relations between UK and the WWL at this point.

For me, 'some' should not mean damn near all.
I think they had what 2 players from last year's squad returning??
Lee Todd seems to be UK's RC Johnson...
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2009 09:28 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
12-30-2009 09:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

alterego2 Away
Heisman

I Root For: My alma mater
RE: ESPN to Focus on Calipari's UK Cleaning House
Thanks for the link on this. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Shine that light on that devil!
12-31-2009 01:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
I thought what he did with those kids was as distasteful as what he did here.
12-31-2009 02:09 AM
EarthBoundMisfit Online
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
another thing JLB, is that UK fans talk about how Gillespie treated his players....
I dunno, I'd rather have my coach call me a sissy then tell me 'thanks, but your scholly isn't being renwed'

I mean Cal won with TIC PRICE'S players...he could have one the same with Gillespie's squad. They weren't all THAT bad.
12-31-2009 07:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BARTLETTTIGER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers/Cards
(12-31-2009 07:10 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  another thing JLB, is that UK fans talk about how Gillespie treated his players....
I dunno, I'd rather have my coach call me a sissy then tell me 'thanks, but your scholly isn't being renwed'

I mean Cal won with TIC PRICE'S players...he could have one the same with Gillespie's squad. They weren't all THAT bad.
You know why in the end current Kentucky Wildcat Men's Head Basketball Coach John Calipari took the University of Memphis basketball recruits, because he wanted to win now. Also, he did not care who he pissed off, even in the basketball players have a one year contract for each of the four years in the end.
12-31-2009 08:21 AM
Mr_XcentricK Offline
World Wanderer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Quote:“He was very clear and very honest that (some) may not fit this dribble-drive approach. …It’s a decision that they jointly made, that they might find more playing time elsewhere.” — Dr. Lee Todd Jr., president of the University of Kentucky, on what Calipari told players who eventually left

Wow! President of the university can not even mention the kids' education. It is either all about the sports with Todd or all about the books with Raines is there no middle ground?!?
01-01-2010 11:13 AM
Advertisement

TigerTon1 Offline
Special Teams

ESPN OTL's Take On Uk/X "Cleaning House"
Sunday 9:00 AM For those who are interested.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines this Sunday will focus on John Calipari and the UK basketball players he did not bring back for this season. Here’s the publicity release:

When John Calipari became Kentucky basketball coach this summer, he inherited a roster put together by his predecessor, Billy Gillispie. But Calipari needed roster room for his own recruits, including sensational freshman John Wall, and six of Gillispie’s players say they were encouraged to leave. Since athletic scholarships are renewed on an annual basis, the players had little recourse but to leave if they actually wanted to play, so they left. Some players tell Outside the Lines Calipari told them that they were unlikely to get much playing time in his system if they stayed. Several players said the dramatic roster turnover at Kentucky is an example of how coaches have little loyalty to returning student-athletes, especially when a new coach is hired. Kentucky officials say Calipari just wanted players who fit his style of play. Outside the Lines’ Tom Farrey examines Kentucky’s roster turnover under John Calipari.

“I thought I was going to finish my career there, graduate from UK.” — Kevin Galloway, guard, who left Kentucky after meeting with new coach John Calipari

“It hurt because I abided by the rules. I did everything I was supposed to. … Kept up a good GPA, went to class every day, didn’t fail any tests. …. I feel like just for following my part of the contract, they should follow theirs.” — Matt Pilgrim, forward, on feeling pressured to leave UK

“He was very clear and very honest that (some) may not fit this dribble-drive approach. …It’s a decision that they jointly made, that they might find more playing time elsewhere.” — Dr. Lee Todd Jr., president of the University of Kentucky, on what Calipari told players who eventually left

“If you talk to the average scholarship athlete, they believe they’re on a four-year scholarship or maybe a five-year scholarship. …. But the reality is, there’s no such thing as a four or five-year scholarship. There’s only a one-year renewable.” — Ramogi Huma, head of an advocacy group that lobbies the NCAA and government on behalf of athletes

This might be part of the reason for the strained relations between UK and the WWL at this point.
01-01-2010 11:18 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

I Root For: Memphis

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: ESPN OTL's Take On Uk/X "Cleaning House"
Thn
(01-01-2010 11:18 AM)TigerTon1 Wrote:  Sunday 9:00 AM For those who are interested.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines this Sunday will focus on John Calipari and the UK basketball players he did not bring back for this season. Here’s the publicity release:

Thanks for the headsup.
01-01-2010 11:23 AM
Mr_XcentricK Offline
World Wanderer

Maybe I am still fuzzy from last night but who is "WWL"?
01-01-2010 11:27 AM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-01-2010 11:13 AM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  
Quote:“He was very clear and very honest that (some) may not fit this dribble-drive approach. …It’s a decision that they jointly made, that they might find more playing time elsewhere.” — Dr. Lee Todd Jr., president of the University of Kentucky, on what Calipari told players who eventually left

Wow! President of the university can not even mention the kids' education. It is either all about the sports with Todd or all about the books with Raines is there no middle ground?!?

At Kentucky, there is no middle ground. You have to win BIG in hoops or else. Running a clean, honest program like Tubby Smith is not acceptable to the fans and donors. It is all about banners in the rafters. This is a program that was SHUT DOWN for gambling, been caught paying players, and had the infamous "Wildcat Lodge" as a jock dorm at one time. Former players will tell that there perks were far better than some hot chicks like at UT coming to games with signs, lol. The president has to provide a winner or else he gets run.
01-01-2010 11:37 AM
TigerTon1 Offline
Special Teams

Hmmm, this story and Bobby Knight's portrayal of x seem to go hand-in-hand. ...And all this time many thought ESPN was supposed to x's friend. ESPN seems to be trying to create some controversy/firestorm over x to generate increased viewership, in other words, revenue. Imagine that! Can't wait for the day that uk admits that they made a mistake hiring x and his staff but i'll probably be dead long before that happens. Geoff, I wonder if OTL will mention the x's attempted theft the Tiger's snow cone machine?
01-01-2010 11:37 AM
Advertisement

NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
(01-01-2010 11:27 AM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  Maybe I am still fuzzy from last night but who is "WWL"?

WWL is the "World Wide Leader" aka ESPN.

This should be interesting.
01-01-2010 11:39 AM
TigerTon1 Offline
Special Teams

(01-01-2010 11:27 AM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  Maybe I am still fuzzy from last night but who is "WWL"?

I assumed they meant WWW, but not sure? Maybe that explains x's bad 2010 recruiting efforts.
01-01-2010 11:44 AM
TigerTon1 Offline
Special Teams

(01-01-2010 11:39 AM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  

WWL is the "World Wide Leader" aka ESPN.

This should be interesting.

Thanks Nigel for clearing that up. Let's hope he's having strained relations with WWW and WWL!
01-01-2010 11:45 AM
CapCityTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(12-30-2009 09:26 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  This might be part of the reason for the strained relations between UK and the WWL at this point.

What/who is the "WWL"?
01-01-2010 11:51 AM
Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

Is anyone surprised by this? We cheered him doing the same thing almost every year here. Anyone care to count how many players left here during his tenure? He just happened to have to clean house at KY in one fell swoop to make room for the #1 recruiting class. Doesn't make it right any more than it made it right when we cheered him for it. Anybody remember Kendrick Perkin's buddy's name?
01-01-2010 12:07 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Keena Young
01-01-2010 12:11 PM
TigerPhan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis!!!!!!!
Is there going to be a replay, or is there an online video? Edit..Sorry, airs Sunday. Got it
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2010 12:16 PM by TigerPhan.)
01-01-2010 12:16 PM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
(01-01-2010 12:07 PM)Chi-Town Wrote:  Is anyone surprised by this? We cheered him doing the same thing almost every year here. Anyone care to count how many players left here during his tenure? He just happened to have to clean house at KY in one fell swoop to make room for the #1 recruiting class. Doesn't make it right any more than it made it right when we cheered him for it. Anybody remember Kendrick Perkin's buddy's name?

That was a package deal...the h.s. coaches lied to ex and staff so the "deal" was null and void.
01-01-2010 12:21 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(01-01-2010 12:07 PM)Chi-Town Wrote:  Is anyone surprised by this? We cheered him doing the same thing almost every year here. Anyone care to count how many players left here during his tenure? He just happened to have to clean house at KY in one fell swoop to make room for the #1 recruiting class. Doesn't make it right any more than it made it right when we cheered him for it. Anybody remember Kendrick Perkin's buddy's name?
I once was blind, but now I see...
01-01-2010 12:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.