Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Man Crush for Coach Charlie Strong grows/Fear of Strong in Florida Recruiting
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Man Crush for Coach Charlie Strong grows/Fear of Strong in Florida Recruiting
This is from the Orlando Sentinel today, with Mike Leach firing it opened up the recruitment of 4 Star WR Kadron Boone and apparently the sight of Coach Strong going after the best in that state is making waves in Gator/Seminole and Hurricane Country.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This if part of the article from the Orlando Sentinel today:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fortunately for Boone he had not planned to enroll early at Tech, so he does have a little time to make his decision. The firing now opens things back up for Boone, who quite possibly end up right down the road at the University of Florida, where many thought he was headed to begin with.

"Right now it's too early to say cause I'm still shocked by the news," Boone said. "I have been staying in contact with the other schools though, just in case."

Florida is one of those schools, as well as Miami, West Virginia, Louisville, LSU and Cincinnati.

There's that one proper noun that leaves shivers down the spines of all Gators' coaches and fans -- Louisville.

Former Gators' defensive coordinator Charlie Strong has been hitting the recruiting trail hard since taking over for the Cardinals earlier this month. Don't be surprised if Boone simply changes school, but not colors.

He landed to players from one of the most prolific programs in the state with the commitments of RB Corvin Lamb and WR Michaalee Harris from storied Miami Northwestern.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/re...0665.story

What is also good is that the BIG EAST is very strong in that state as well with UC and WVU also being considered.
12-30-2009 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Man Crush for Coach Charlie Strong grows/Fear of Strong in Florida Recruiting
I would wait to see if these kids can play on the field before pounding the chest that they are great players because they are rated 4 stars by Rivals.
12-30-2009 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Man Crush for Coach Charlie Strong grows/Fear of Strong in Florida Recruiting
Hey. Give 'em a break. Louisville fans haven't had much to cheer about lately...
12-30-2009 09:24 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 09:20 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I would wait to see if these kids can play on the field before pounding the chest that they are great players because they are rated 4 stars by Rivals.

Who pounding our chest, just glad we are no longer recruiting against C-USA/MAC/Sunbelt schools that we were when the other guy was in charge.

It going to take CCS @ least 3 years to get us back to being competitive but damn it feels good to see and hear some good news on our front.

Finally getting back to our roots that made us and WVU the 2 best teams in the early realigned BIG EAST.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2009 09:29 PM by Maize.)
12-30-2009 09:28 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 09:28 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-30-2009 09:20 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I would wait to see if these kids can play on the field before pounding the chest that they are great players because they are rated 4 stars by Rivals.

Who pounding our chest, just glad we are no longer recruiting against C-USA/MAC/Sunbelt schools that we were when the other guy was in charge.

It going to take CCS @ least 3 years to get us back to being competitive but damn it feels good to see and hear some good news on our front.

Finally getting back to our roots that made us and WVU the 2 best teams in the early realigned BIG EAST.

BE is wide open. Every team has improved. Strong is off to a STRONG start but developing players go hand in hand with recruiting. Congrats on landing some great recruits.
12-30-2009 09:40 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Maize is right. No one's proclaiming Louisville conference champs again. For the sake of argument, ignore stars completely. I like checking out what other schools offered when UofL gets a verbal or signs a guy. I think that can give you a good idea. With Petrino we were competing for and in certain cases beating out SEC teams, ACC teams, WVU, USF, etc for recruits.

Kragthorpe was signing guys where the only other offers were Marshall, Arkansas St, Akron, etc. And you wonder why we went from 12-1 Orange Bowl champs to a 1-13 record in the Big East the last two seasons.

If anyone didn't think the HC mattered in college football, Louisville's gone from competing against MAC/CUSA teams to Top 25 programs for recruits in a matter of weeks.
12-30-2009 09:50 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 09:50 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Maize is right. No one's proclaiming Louisville conference champs again. For the sake of argument, ignore stars completely. I like checking out what other schools offered when UofL gets a verbal or signs a guy. I think that can give you a good idea. With Petrino we were competing for and in certain cases beating out SEC teams, ACC teams, WVU, USF, etc for recruits.

Kragthorpe was signing guys where the only other offers were Marshall, Arkansas St, Akron, etc. And you wonder why we went from 12-1 Orange Bowl champs to a 1-13 record in the Big East the last two seasons.

If anyone didn't think the HC mattered in college football, Louisville's gone from competing against MAC/CUSA teams to Top 25 programs for recruits in a matter of weeks.

While that might be true for some players, it certainly isn't for all the players. Darius Butler got no BCS offers and he is playing on Sundays. Jasper Howard also should play on Sundays and he got no BCS offers if he did not end his life in tragedy. Tyvon Branch is leading all safetys in NFL in tackles in only his 2nd year and he should be in the pro bowl. He got no BCS offers and was a former 1 star. Like I said, let's wait to see if they can play before proclaiming the next BE all conference right out of high school.

Strong is off to a great strong and should do a good job. Until he can develop and win games, it is still a question mark. However, he is already a huge improvement over Krappy.
12-30-2009 09:57 PM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
getting michaelee harris was big, i wouldn't be surprised if you stole his teammate tyson chandler away from us as well. i wonder if strong would try to put the full press on jeffery godfrey, he's only committed to ucf, is a very athletic spread qb, and wants to start right away.

the only problem is he might be enrolling for the spring semester, so probably not enough time to sway him, it's a shame though he'd be a perfect fit for the cards.
12-30-2009 10:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
WVU wanted Harris. I think he still has a visit to Morgantown scheduled too. If he takes the visit, his commit to Louisville could be a bit premature. He could yet end up a Mountaineer...
12-30-2009 10:08 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 10:08 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WVU wanted Harris. I think he still has a visit to Morgantown scheduled too. If he takes the visit, his commit to Louisville could be a bit premature. He could yet end up a Mountaineer...

He is going to still visit WVU and Tennessee but if anything we are the clear leaders and the one thing with CCS is that is he a excellent recruiter and closer.

Plus right now it looks like we might get another one of his teammates in USF recruit Todd Chandler. Landing Corvin Lamb was huge because he is helping opening the door to his HS teammates. 03-cloud9
12-30-2009 10:14 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 10:00 PM)USFMike Wrote:  getting michaelee harris was big, i wouldn't be surprised if you stole his teammate tyson chandler away from us as well. i wonder if strong would try to put the full press on jeffery godfrey, he's only committed to ucf, is a very athletic spread qb, and wants to start right away.

the only problem is he might be enrolling for the spring semester, so probably not enough time to sway him, it's a shame though he'd be a perfect fit for the cards.

This is the Orlando Sentinel on Todd Chandler:

He still has USF atop his list. Now, however, Chandler has some visits planned in January that will likely fog up his picture even more so -- like a trip to Louisville next weekend.. Especially after what he heard on Thursday at the Under Armour All-american game practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports.

Chandler already knew that Northwestern teammate RB Corvin Lamb had committed to Louisville, and then Wednesday he found out that fellow teammate WR Michaelee Harris had also committed to Louisville on Tuesday night. Cardinals' head coach Charlie Strong, the former Florida defensive coordinator, continues to hit his old territory hard.

"I ain't heard nothing about that," Chandler said of Harris' commitment. "Another reason why that visit is going to be that much more important.

"Me and coach Strong bonded real well when he was still assistant coach at Florida, so me and him still got that going," Chandler said. "Then I see my teammate Corvin Lamb committed to Louisville … if Corvin commimtted then I know there's something special about them guys up there.

"I'll have to see what my teammates are thinking about
."

His decommitment from UM was a big shocker considering he's the hometown product and seemed to be locked up. Chandler, however, says the Hurricane staff had not kept in touch with him.

"I don't really know what was going on," Chandler said of the Miami communication. "There was a lot of fans saying that 'UM never offered you,' and stuff like that. I actually had it in my hands.

"It was just that they slowed down on the recruiting and I didn't hear from them for awhile. I was calling and not really getting an answer. I didn't know how they was feeling and I didn't want to be misled to something that wasn't. So decided to open up the recruiting."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/re...3876.story
12-30-2009 10:24 PM
Advertisement

USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-30-2009 10:24 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(12-30-2009 10:00 PM)USFMike Wrote:  getting michaelee harris was big, i wouldn't be surprised if you stole his teammate tyson chandler away from us as well. i wonder if strong would try to put the full press on jeffery godfrey, he's only committed to ucf, is a very athletic spread qb, and wants to start right away.

This is the Orlando Sentinel on Todd Chandler:

He still has USF atop his list. Now, however, Chandler has some visits planned in January that will likely fog up his picture even more so -- like a trip to Louisville next weekend.. Especially after what he heard on Thursday at the Under Armour All-american game practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports.

Chandler already knew that Northwestern teammate RB Corvin Lamb had committed to Louisville, and then Wednesday he found out that fellow teammate WR Michaelee Harris had also committed to Louisville on Tuesday night. Cardinals' head coach Charlie Strong, the former Florida defensive coordinator, continues to hit his old territory hard.

"I ain't heard nothing about that," Chandler said of Harris' commitment. "Another reason why that visit is going to be that much more important.

"Me and coach Strong bonded real well when he was still assistant coach at Florida, so me and him still got that going," Chandler said. "Then I see my teammate Corvin Lamb committed to Louisville … if Corvin commimtted then I know there's something special about them guys up there.

"I'll have to see what my teammates are thinking about
."

His decommitment from UM was a big shocker considering he's the hometown product and seemed to be locked up. Chandler, however, says the Hurricane staff had not kept in touch with him.

"I don't really know what was going on," Chandler said of the Miami communication. "There was a lot of fans saying that 'UM never offered you,' and stuff like that. I actually had it in my hands.

"It was just that they slowed down on the recruiting and I didn't hear from them for awhile. I was calling and not really getting an answer. I didn't know how they was feeling and I didn't want to be misled to something that wasn't. So decided to open up the recruiting."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/re...3876.story

like i said i would not be surprised if he went to louisville, although as was pointed out by many miami fans there were reasons why miami backed off of him and it had nothing to do with football.

my hats off to louisville, i knew it was only a matter of time before they got back to being a force in florida recruiting, we obviously didn't take advantage of louisville's down years and now we're going to be neck and neck in recruiting for years to come. 04-cheers
12-30-2009 10:47 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Mardy Gilyard is the MOST UNDERRATED player in College Football.
12-30-2009 10:54 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 10:54 PM)Maize Wrote:  Mardy Gilyard is the MOST UNDERRATED player in College Football.

I would say all the UCONN football players are the most underrated in the entire country. At least Gilyard is getting on press lately. I am just glad NFL is not as dumb as ESPN or those Rivals and Scout recruiting "experts".
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2009 10:58 PM by SF Husky.)
12-30-2009 10:57 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 11:06 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(12-30-2009 10:54 PM)Maize Wrote:  Mardy Gilyard is the MOST UNDERRATED player in College Football.

03-lmfao

You don't think he is underrated. I look at it like this, he should have been in NYC as a Heisman Candidate. You have two types of players and they are Playmakers and Scorers. Gilyard to me is both a Playmaker and Scorer.
12-30-2009 11:11 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. With Wanny, Strong, Stewart, and Schiano at least half the conference has strong recruiters. Leavitt, Edsell, and Marone show the ability to get players that can be coached up into good to excellent players. The new coach at Cinci has shown he can win, but time will tell if he can continue the success Kelly has started. All in all this is good for the conference.
12-30-2009 11:13 PM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
The stars system give this fault impression there big gap of talent between kids but it did not take into account if the talent level off or continue to improve. They always take the latter. The character of a player whether he is teachable or not, a super star high school kid never face other kid just as talent and determine to excel. Recruiting going well, now we have to wait if he can coach.
12-30-2009 11:33 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-30-2009 11:13 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. With Wanny, Strong, Stewart, and Schiano at least half the conference has strong recruiters. Leavitt, Edsell, and Marone show the ability to get players that can be coached up into good to excellent players. The new coach at Cinci has shown he can win, but time will tell if he can continue the success Kelly has started. All in all this is good for the conference.

I would say the ability to identify the right kind of player for your program is the lifeblood of a program. Ability to recruit multiple star players is hardly the sign of a good recruiter. Otherwise, Miami would be top 10 every year because their entire roster is full of 4 and 5 star players.
12-30-2009 11:40 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(12-30-2009 11:40 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I would say the ability to identify the right kind of player for your program is the lifeblood of a program. Ability to recruit multiple star players is hardly the sign of a good recruiter. Otherwise, Miami would be top 10 every year because their entire roster is full of 4 and 5 star players.

We agree. RichRod was excellent at this during his time at WVU. The jury is still out on his tenure at Michigan. Edsell has done a good job doing this and some of the other coaches have as well, Leavitt especially. Kelly could do it, and at least defensively Wanny can too. Krag and Gerg lacked this ability. Stewart hasn't been there long enough to tell and I am not familiar enough with Rutgers to hazard a guess.
12-31-2009 12:01 AM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-31-2009 12:01 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  
(12-30-2009 11:40 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I would say the ability to identify the right kind of player for your program is the lifeblood of a program. Ability to recruit multiple star players is hardly the sign of a good recruiter. Otherwise, Miami would be top 10 every year because their entire roster is full of 4 and 5 star players.

We agree. RichRod was excellent at this during his time at WVU. The jury is still out on his tenure at Michigan. Edsell has done a good job doing this and some of the other coaches have as well, Leavitt especially. Kelly could do it, and at least defensively Wanny can too. Krag and Gerg lacked this ability. Stewart hasn't been there long enough to tell and I am not familiar enough with Rutgers to hazard a guess.

leavitt can recruit he pulled in a top 25 class last year and should have a good class this year, the jury's out on whether he or his assistants can develop them or put them in the right scheme to properly maximize their talents.
12-31-2009 12:15 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.