Interesting Article on UALR, Sun Belt and other conferences upcoming moves
12-29-2009 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Interesting Article on UALR, Sun Belt and other conferences upcoming moves
(12-29-2009 12:13 PM)TroJams Wrote:  Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

Guy loses all credibility with this statement:

Adding at least two all sports schools would give the Sun Belt enough schools to have a revenue generating conference championship game.

Ya, kind of like the SEC championship game...NOT
12-29-2009 12:49 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

How about Arky state references?

NT to the WAC or CUSA?

SLU coming back to CUSA?

That whole story reads like an internet posting of some fan that is setting up a conference that favors his team but puts other schools screwing theirselves and moving down conferences so his school can move up.
12-29-2009 02:44 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2009 12:13 PM)TroJams Wrote:  Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?

Interesting that he mentions UALR possibly being forced out. And could possibly join the Summit or Missouri Valley. The guy might be all wet, but he could also be on to something. I'm sure Chris is up to date on these possibilities and would be considering other options before we were forced out. Maybe we should try and move before we're forced to.
It would be better to go out on our own terms then be forced out and have to scramble for an affiliation.01-lauramac2
12-29-2009 03:55 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(12-29-2009 02:44 PM)insideualr Wrote:  How about Arky state references?

NT to the WAC or CUSA?

SLU coming back to CUSA?

That whole story reads like an internet posting of some fan that is setting up a conference that favors his team but puts other schools screwing theirselves and moving down conferences so his school can move up.

I agree. Although written in article form, this sounds like the tons of junk and speculation posted all over the internet about conference shifts, etc. I don't know what Marshall's situation is, however with Mike Hamrick as their new AD, I doubt that there will be any big hurry to leave CUSA football unless a much better offer comes along, and at this point there is no where for it to come from. And ECU is the flagship of the CUSA in football. No way the CUSA wants to lose them, and the only way they leave is if somehow they were able to get a football only invite from the Big East.
12-29-2009 04:18 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2009 04:18 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(12-29-2009 02:44 PM)insideualr Wrote:  How about Arky state references?

NT to the WAC or CUSA?

SLU coming back to CUSA?

I agree. Although written in article form, this sounds like the tons of junk and speculation posted all over the internet about conference shifts, etc. I don't know what Marshall's situation is, however with Mike Hamrick as their new AD, I doubt that there will be any big hurry to leave CUSA football unless a much better offer comes along, and at this point there is no where for it to come from. And ECU is the flagship of the CUSA in football. No way the CUSA wants to lose them, and the only way they leave is if somehow they were able to get a football only invite from the Big East.

One of the few things I agree with is that any Sun Belt school will jump to Conference USA in a second. Ironically, the most likely opening there will occur if Memphis leaves- than how much better is ConUSA than the Sun Belt, at least, in basketball? I could see UNT being asked because of their market. FAU or FIU, would also be a likely candidate to add a travel partner for UCF. FAU probably would get the nod as long a Schnellenberger is still breathing, although I believe FIU has a campus stadium and FAU is still trying to get that done.
12-29-2009 04:38 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Are we the only school in the belt not looking to move on?
12-29-2009 09:20 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2009 09:20 PM)insideualr Wrote:  Are we the only school in the belt not looking to move on?

Probably so. There is no better option out there for us. Where could be possibly go, except the Summit which is a big step down. Sun Belt is ideal for us, but at some point Memphis will move to a better conference and things will start to shake up. If Rutgers goes to the Big 10, Memphis will probably go to the Big East. Then the Sun Belt schools will be fighting your guys in Ruston for that spot. Do they take LaTech, UNT, or FIU/FAU? Location, Location, Location. UNT or FIU/FAU likely win out.
12-29-2009 09:27 PM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Being in the Missouri Valley would be sweeeet. But I don't think that will EVER happen.
12-29-2009 09:30 PM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(12-29-2009 09:30 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Being in the Missouri Valley would be sweeeet. But I don't think that will EVER happen.

mvc is the perfect conference and is not looking to expand nor is anyone looking to leave.
12-29-2009 09:36 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2009 09:30 PM)eh9198 Wrote:  Being in the Missouri Valley would be sweeeet. But I don't think that will EVER happen.

Would be nice. But they are a true basketball conference. They would look at our attendance and laugh. If we filled up the Stephens Center we'd probably still be at the bottom of the Valley attendance-wise.

Western would have been perfect for the Valley. They decided to sell their souls for DI football instead.
12-29-2009 09:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.