ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
OT Chris Henry in Serious Condition
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091...s+accident

Quote:Bengals receiver Chris Henry involved in serious accident
By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • December 16, 2009

Print this page ShareThis Font size:AA CHARLOTTE - Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry suffered serious head injuries and was on life support Wednesday night in Charlotte, N.C., after being involved in what police are describing as a “domestic situation” with his fiancée in which Henry came out of the back of a truck.

Foxsports.com first reported that the situation with Henry was “dire.”

Henry’s agents, PlayersRep Sports Management, issued a statement saying: “We ask everyone to pray for Chris. We also ask that you respect the privacy of Chris’ family. Chris is indeed battling for his life tonight, and our thoughts and prayers are with him during this extremely difficult time.”

Henry’s condominium, with a Bengals door mat out front, was dark Wednesday night, as his immediate family, including his mother and brother, rushed to Charlotte.

Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said the team “was monitoring the situation and trying to assist in any way that we can.”

• Photos: Chris Henry and fiancé
• Photos: Accident scene
• Video from the accident scene

Coach Marvin Lewis elected to withhold comment until this morning.

FOXsports.com is reporting that Henry is on life support, according to a source.

• Former Bengals pray for Henry
• Twitter updates from Joe Reedy
• More on Chris Henry from Twitter

For the team this would be their second major loss in two months. On Oct. 8, Vikki Zimmer, the wife of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, suddenly passed away.

According to detectives with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, officers responded to a call just before noon in reference to a person down a half mile from the house where Henry and his fiancée, Loleini Tonga were staying. When officers arrived, they found Henry in the road with life-threatening injuries.

Henry, 26, was taken to Carolinas Medical Center.

Police say Henry had been involved in a “domestic situation.” Tonga had gotten into a pickup truck and driven away, police say. As she was driving, Henry jumped into the bed of the truck. A dispute continued between the two, and at some point Henry “came out of the back” of the truck.

The Homicide and Highway Interdiction Traffic Safety units are conducting an investigation. Police spokesman Robert Fey said no charges would be filed Wednesday.

Henry was in Charlotte, where his fiancée’s family lives, to continue making arrangements for their March wedding. They arrived in North Carolina on Tuesday.
On Nov. 9, after what looked to be a season of much promise, Henry was placed on season-ending injured reserve after having surgery on his fractured left forearm.

He finished the season with 12 receptions for 236 yards and two touchdowns.

“It was tough at first, but now I just have to roll with the punches and do what I need to do in order to get healthy,” Henry said last month after the injury.

Henry was drafted by the Bengals in the third round in 2005. He was known as a player with immense talent, but his promise was marred by legal problems.

During his first three seasons, his run-ins with the law included drug charges, to gun possession and, DUI. He served jail time for drinking in a Covington hotel room with underage girls.

After serving an eight-game disciplinary suspension in 2007, Henry appeared to be turning his life around. But on April 3, 2008, the Bengals released him after his fifth arrest in 28 months. Club president Mike Brown decided to re-sign Henry four months later in a move that was ridiculed by fans.

At the time of Henry’s return, Bengals offensive lineman Willie Anderson credited player relations director Eric Ball assistant strength coach Ray Oliver and director of security Rusty Guy for playing roles in bringing Henry back to the club.

“Those people busted their tails beyond duty helping him out,” said Anderson, who is no longer with the team. “He has found the end of the rainbow three or four times.”

During the time out of football, Henry said, he found out who his true friends were. That included Tonga, who had stuck by his side during the bad times and with whom he has been rearing three children.

“It was easy, because I think I know him better than a lot of people,” Tonga said this fall. “I knew what happened and what they’re saying wasn’t true. ,” she said three months ago. “Besides everything, I see him every day. Standing by him was a piece of cake.”

Since rejoining the club, Henry had seemed to have his life on the right path.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who was a teammate of Henry’s for four seasons before leaving the Bengals this past offseason for Seattle, was saddened over the news of Henry.

“When he broke his arm, I texted him and told him that everything would work itself out,” Houshmandzadeh said. “It’s just weird when you’re doing bad and getting in trouble, the only thing that happens is you lose playing the game you love. When you turn your life around and then the most serious thing that can happen is you lose your life. It’s just crazy.”
12-16-2009 11:48 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: OT Chris Henry in Serious Condition
Henry has passed away, according to ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750615

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry has died, one day after suffering serious injuries upon falling out of the back of a pickup truck in what authorities describe as a domestic dispute with his fiancee.

Henry

Police say Henry died at 6:36 a.m. Thursday. Henry was 26.

Away from the team because of a broken forearm, Henry was rushed to the hospital Wednesday after being found on a residential road. Police say a dispute began at a home about a half-mile away, and Henry jumped into the bed of the truck as his fiancee was driving away from the residence.
12-17-2009 10:26 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Tragically, he passed away. Very sad. Our prayers go out to his family.
12-17-2009 10:26 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
What a tragic life. The kid was so talented but not mature enough for the spotlight...then he gets his life in order and now this

I still remember the show he put on against Syracuse in the Dome. Quincy Wilson was hurt and the WVU offense was basically just throwing it up to Henry. SU had two or three guys on him but couldn't stop him. He had 200+ receiving yrs that day if memory serves

RIP Chris Henry...you will be rememberd fondly in WV for years to come

Jackson
12-17-2009 12:50 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
so sad, he had turned his life around, was going to be a rare success story

pacman could learn a lot from chris
12-17-2009 01:42 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RIP Chris. You'll be missed. I was never your biggest fan but it was looking like things was starting to turn for the best.

Condolences to WVU family.
12-17-2009 01:59 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
May you rest in peace Chris. I was never a huge fan because of the offensive displays you put on against us at Rutgers, but the talent you had could never go unrecognized.

My condolences to Mountaineers everywhere.
12-17-2009 02:35 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2009 04:25 PM by Jackson1011.)
12-17-2009 04:25 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=AB&D...p;Border=0]

^^^ Was placed at the spot of Chris Henry's accident in Charlotte

Jackson
12-19-2009 08:05 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Mountaineer fans remember...
12-19-2009 08:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.