UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defense. DEFENSE!!!
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Defense. DEFENSE!!!
I've been going to UAB games since the mid-80s. I'm finding it hard to remember a team this suffocating on defense. Anderson's 40 Fastest generated steals, but this team just squeezes the hell out of the other team like a boa constrictor. If I had played against a defense like this in my day, I would have punched George Drake in the mouth just to get ejected so I could go to the locker room and breath.
12-16-2009 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
RE: Defense. DEFENSE!!!
great defensive performance...but there have also been many points this season where we have been completely unable to find 3 point shooters.

defense wins championships...i agree, this defense is SOLID
12-16-2009 09:57 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-16-2009 09:55 PM)blazr Wrote:  If I had played against a defense like this in my day, I would have punched George Drake in the mouth just to get ejected so I could go to the locker room and breath.

I think that's pretty much what Stephenson did when he took that T. He'd had enough.
12-16-2009 10:19 PM
Advertisement

GreenGiant67 Offline
never any doubt

I Root For: the UAB Blazers
You could tell that Stephenson wanted out earlier in the game. The camera was on him later in the game after he had committed that first offensive foul. You could seem him hobble over to the coach shaking his head. You could tell he didn't want to be out there. But he did have that sweet spin move and kiss off the glass. I think he knew we were not going to be denied. He wanted no part of that game.
12-16-2009 10:47 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2009 10:47 PM)Uab91Eng Wrote:  You could tell that Stephenson wanted out earlier in the game. The camera was on him later in the game after he had committed that first offensive foul. You could seem him hobble over to the coach shaking his head. You could tell he didn't want to be out there. But he did have that sweet spin move and kiss off the glass. I think he knew we were not going to be denied. He wanted no part of that game.

Watching in person it seemed that Stephenson's injury came and went very conveniently. When he was denied, or beaten on defense, he would head up the floor limping and looking at the bench. Then he would execute a move like the one you pointed out and trot back up the floor with no problems.
12-16-2009 10:50 PM
Advertisement

GreenGiant67 Offline
never any doubt

I Root For: the UAB Blazers
(12-16-2009 10:50 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(12-16-2009 10:47 PM)Uab91Eng Wrote:  You could tell that Stephenson wanted out earlier in the game. The camera was on him later in the game after he had committed that first offensive foul. You could seem him hobble over to the coach shaking his head. You could tell he didn't want to be out there. But he did have that sweet spin move and kiss off the glass. I think he knew we were not going to be denied. He wanted no part of that game.

Watching in person it seemed that Stephenson's injury came and went very conveniently. When he was denied, or beaten on defense, he would head up the floor limping and looking at the bench. Then he would execute a move like the one you pointed out and trot back up the floor with no problems.

I noticed that even watching the game on TV. Typical freshman ego from a "McDonald's All-American. And watching about 40 replays of the "injury", it didn't look near as bad. The ankle never rolled. He just tweaked it.

Maybe, juuuuuust maybe, Cincinnati hasn't played a defense as smothering as UAB's. Just sayin'.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2009 10:59 PM by GreenGiant67.)
12-16-2009 10:57 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I thought so too.
12-16-2009 10:58 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
steve mitchell made a couple comments about how much his limp improved and worsened going from offense to defense and vice versa
12-16-2009 10:59 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
I don't even know what to say about our defense other than it is a thing of beauty. We just held the #25 team that was averaging 74 ppg to 47 points. 27 below their season average!
12-17-2009 12:30 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Our defense is flat out ridiculous. Coach Marsh's defensive coaching is a thing of beauty. Drake locked down Stephenson tonight.
12-17-2009 03:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.