Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The U
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
The U
Having grown up in Broward County as a fan of Miami before they became a player on the national scene and then watched from afar (Tampa) as they became "The U," that 30 for 30 episode was a fun trip down memory lane. I remember those first race riots in 1980 (my senior year in high school that forced us to move our prom) being the final straw that helped me pick USF over UM.

USFFan
12-13-2009 02:20 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

DIP WV Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: The U
I forgot just how dominant Miami used to be. They were to the 80s and early 90s what USC has been to this decade.
12-13-2009 02:29 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
It was well done. Interesting how Ericson was portrayed as more of a caretaker, meek personality when compared to Johnson and Schnellenberger. Seems that Johnson was also the coach that allowed more of the personalities of the players to come out.

Louisville should be thankful for the issues that caused Schnellenberger to never get his USFL opportunity. The Cardinals hired Howard after the one season in limbo.

For me, it was interesting to see who picked up many of those Miami games. I knew that they made deals with CBS for some games and TBS had deals to pick up other home games.
12-13-2009 07:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
That was such a great show last night.

The Hurricanes truly did change college football. And now they seem far more like the establishment than their rebel selves that made "The U" a brand name in the sport.

I wished they had done another 30 minutes about how these former players from that time period feel about the university, the state of the program, and playing in Landshark Stadium now.

Cheers,
Neil
12-13-2009 12:07 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Those 30 on 30 shows are great. I agree they missed an opportunity to discuss the closing of the Orange Bowl, that seemed to be a huge part of the U identity.
12-13-2009 12:12 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

They showed the beating that they laid on Notre Dame in Faust's last game and the thing I found interesting was the plea by the color analyst for Miami to call off the dogs.

Working that game alongside Brent Musberger was....Ara Parsegian. Apparently Ara had an even worse meltdown that wasn't part of any of the clips shown.
12-13-2009 06:41 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-13-2009 06:41 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  They showed the beating that they laid on Notre Dame in Faust's last game and the thing I found interesting was the plea by the color analyst for Miami to call off the dogs.

Working that game alongside Brent Musberger was....Ara Parsegian. Apparently Ara had an even worse meltdown that wasn't part of any of the clips shown.

I was at that game and remember afterwards hearing about that and just laughing. Where were all those sportcasters when ND was running the score on teams like Miami. That day was for all Miami fans and ND haters, the most enjoyable game in a long time. Miami had been waiting a LONG time for that day. Paybcak is a B***H
12-13-2009 06:45 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2009 06:45 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(12-13-2009 06:41 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  They showed the beating that they laid on Notre Dame in Faust's last game and the thing I found interesting was the plea by the color analyst for Miami to call off the dogs.

I was at that game and remember afterwards hearing about that and just laughing. Where were all those sportcasters when ND was running the score on teams like Miami. That day was for all Miami fans and ND haters, the most enjoyable game in a long time. Miami had been waiting a LONG time for that day. Paybcak is a B***H

I was sitting in the stands at the Orange Bowl when I was 11 years old with my dad and watched Notre Dame beat the crap out of Miami 44-0. I have very vivid memories in part because it was the first time I'd ever heard an F-bomb from some drunk Irish fans. I remember asking my dad what it meant, and his reply was "it means if I ever hear you say it, you won't be able to sit down for a week." I also remember those same ND fans chanting "run it up, Ara, run it up." So I was laughing out loud at the TV that day when I heard Ara whining about it to Brent.

Little known fact - there were only 10 guys on the field on that play when Miami blocked that punt for the final score. The Irish players had quit on Faust.

Matt, I would LOVE to hear about any Ara meltdown if you have details...

USFFan
12-13-2009 07:07 PM
DIP WV Offline
2nd String

I Root For: West Virginia
(12-13-2009 07:07 PM)usffan Wrote:  

I was sitting in the stands at the Orange Bowl when I was 11 years old with my dad and watched Notre Dame beat the crap out of Miami 44-0. I have very vivid memories in part because it was the first time I'd ever heard an F-bomb from some drunk Irish fans. I remember asking my dad what it meant, and his reply was "it means if I ever hear you say it, you won't be able to sit down for a week." I also remember those same ND fans chanting "run it up, Ara, run it up." So I was laughing out loud at the TV that day when I heard Ara whining about it to Brent.

Little known fact - there were only 10 guys on the field on that play when Miami blocked that punt for the final score. The Irish players had quit on Faust.

USFFan

So what brought you to the light side, why the switch from the Canes to the Bulls?
12-13-2009 08:12 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF started football did it for me.
12-13-2009 08:17 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I believe the meltdown went something like "Notre Dame will rise from the ashes..." with some rambling. Followed by some lengthy silence by Parseghian.

Very Holtz-like with the ND worship on TV.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2009 08:51 PM by mattsarz.)
12-13-2009 08:51 PM
Advertisement

BamaRoll Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Alabama
College football was so much cooler and better in the 80s and early 90s. There were so many characters on each team and you could have a #2 vs a #5 and the winner, based on the other bowl games during the day could end up as #1. I personally enjoyed watching Miami of the 80s and early 90s. Butch Davis really killed the momentum of that program and many ex Miami players continue to hold a grudge on him till this day.
12-13-2009 08:59 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Miami makes my high school team look like choir boys and they have a rediculous reputation for unsportsmanship.
12-13-2009 09:01 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The thing that I remember about those Miami teams in the 80s was how the established powers would look down their noses at them and put them down, which made the players be even more of its us against the world and how they enjoyed pounding some of those established teams like texas in the cotton bowl.
We syill have some of those same snobbish posters around here that try to put down the Big East and specially USF,UC and UL just because they werent lucky enough to be part of those established leagues.
So it is specially enjoyable when those teams pound schools from the SEC,ACC, BigTen, Big12 and PacTen.
12-13-2009 09:08 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2009 08:12 PM)DIP WV Wrote:  
(12-13-2009 07:07 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

So what brought you to the light side, why the switch from the Canes to the Bulls?

Truth be told, I still root for Miami when they don't play USF. When I applied to colleges, I applied to and was accepted by Miami, Fl*rida, FSU and USF. I was even offered a partial scholarship to Miami, but even if I'd lived at home and had half of my tuition paid for, it was still too expensive. The day I visited Tallahassee, it was 19 degrees - the first time I'd ever experienced freezing temperatures since before I could remember. And when I visited Gainesville, nobody asked my name, just my SS#. I was treated best at USF, which was why I went there. During my time as a student, we never had football, so there was no conflict. Once we started football, USF moved to #1 for me.

It's funny, my stepbrother also grew up a UM fan, graduated from USF, has a "U" tattoo on his leg and sports a Miami vanity license plate. I pointed out it cheapens his own degree by sending money to a competitor - doesn't faze him a bit.

USFFan
12-13-2009 09:35 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
"Even your white guys are tough!"
12-14-2009 12:43 AM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
Even though I'm not a Hurricanes fan (Go Seminoles!!) I admit, that was a great documentary film...The "30 On 30" Series has been fabulous, the only one I've not seen (on purpose) is the one about the Ali-Holmes fight...I saw that fight live on TV, couldn't bear to watch what was happening in that ring that evening, nothing against Larry Holmes, he did what he had to do, and even still, you could tell that he didn't want to be "that guy", the "legend killer"...Haven't seen that fight since, and never want to see it again...Otherwise, I would love to have all of these wonderfully done films in my home library...Every bit as good, if not better, than the very entertaining and enlightening "Sports Century" series...Who's next on "30 On 30?"...My favorite one so far has been the one they did on the USFL, and the one about Len Bias was just heartbreaking and powerful...
12-14-2009 03:05 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
They threw Butch Davis under the bus in that doc, which makes no sense...he's the one that made Miami a power again.
12-14-2009 03:06 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(12-14-2009 03:06 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  They threw Butch Davis under the bus in that doc, which makes no sense...he's the one that made Miami a power again.

Don't necessarily agree with that. Yes, they seemed to correlate the demolition of the Orange Bowl with Butch taking over, but we know that isn't the case.

I thought they made Erickson look like a meek caretaker though who let the inmates overrun the asylum.

Also, thought they missed the boat on not discussing Sam Jankovich's move from the U to the New England Patriots.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2009 05:59 PM by mattsarz.)
12-14-2009 05:56 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Butch Davis is why we still have guys running around the NFL talking about being from the U. But the parity is too great for a team to have a run like that again, IMO. USC has had a great run in big games but only has two titles, counting the AP title, with Carroll because they can't win all of their PAC 10 games.

Certainly the documentary was made to highlight the characters and the take no prisoners attitude around the program. I wonder how many guys who played there now are embarrassed with what took place.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2009 07:44 PM by KStud.)
12-14-2009 07:43 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.