Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm starting to think DI nailed it
Bookmark and Share
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I'm starting to think DI nailed it
With regard to his estimated attendance for the Memphis game. When he predicted 4,000 I felt that was awful pessimistic and was hopeful of filling the lower bowl. I now think that seems like a good estimate, although I'm still hoping we'll get 4,500 to 5000.
12-10-2009 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
RE: I'm starting to think DI nailed it
(12-10-2009 03:48 PM)mjs Wrote:  With regard to his estimated attendance for the Memphis game. When he predicted 4,000 I felt that was awful pessimistic and was hopeful of filling the lower bowl. I now think that seems like a good estimate, although I'm still hoping we'll get 4,500 to 5000.

I don't know what to expect, but what was it that changed your mind from whatever it was before to agreeing with DI now?
12-10-2009 04:02 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(12-10-2009 03:48 PM)mjs Wrote:  With regard to his estimated attendance for the Memphis game. When he predicted 4,000 I felt that was awful pessimistic and was hopeful of filling the lower bowl. I now think that seems like a good estimate, although I'm still hoping we'll get 4,500 to 5000.

It's just plain sad the depths this program has sunk to. We used to draw 4,000+ on a regular basis to see TAAC teams, and now we have Memphis coming in here, and our fans are hoping that we, along with several thousand Memphis fans, can draw 4,000+ to watch a game with the team that was the runner-up to the national champion two years ago, and that is still plenty salty.
12-10-2009 04:22 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2009 04:02 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

I don't know what to expect, but what was it that changed your mind from whatever it was before to agreeing with DI now?

I just feel no "buzz" about the game here in the Rock. Even the most diehard, optimistic fans seem pessimistic about our chances. There apparently are no tickets available for less than $26.75. Not sure how many Memphis fans will show up since they don't see us as much of a threat right now. There's talk about freezing rain Saturday. I haven't heard one mention about it on the afternoon talk shows (now there's a surprise).

Did I mention that I always seem to forget how crappy a sports town Little Rock is- I remember when this was first announced I was thinking we could get 16,000 for this game. But that's when I thought Calipari would be coming here with the #1 recruiting class in the country and was hopeful we'd be coming off an NCAA or NIT season. Now most people seem to view this as a "body bag" game against a very good, but not great Memphis team.
12-10-2009 04:27 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2009 04:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I just feel no "buzz" about the game here in the Rock. Even the most diehard, optimistic fans seem pessimistic about our chances. There apparently are no tickets available for less than $26.75. Not sure how many Memphis fans will show up since they don't see us as much of a threat right now. There's talk about freezing rain Saturday. I haven't heard one mention about it on the afternoon talk shows (now there's a surprise).

Did I mention that I always seem to forget how crappy a sports town Little Rock is- I remember when this was first announced I was thinking we could get 16,000 for this game. But that's when I thought Calipari would be coming here with the #1 recruiting class in the country and was hopeful we'd be coming off an NCAA or NIT season. Now most people seem to view this as a "body bag" game against a very good, but not great Memphis team.

But LRTrojan and I are so happy because we have such great seats!04-cheers
12-10-2009 04:54 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(12-10-2009 04:54 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  But LRTrojan and I are so happy because we have such great seats!04-cheers

The way the attendance predictions are going downward, we may end up being able to watch this game from center court.
12-10-2009 06:47 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

It's hard to promote for a team that hasn't had a good season so far and I assume the athletic department (deep in their hearts) probably know we don't have the horses this year to compete with Memphis. It maybe a good thing that casual fans not show up to see a possible drubbing of our beloved Trojans.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2009 08:09 PM by LR Alum.)
12-10-2009 08:09 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2009 08:09 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

It's hard to promote for a team that hasn't had a good season so far and I assume the athletic department (deep in their hearts) probably know we don't have the horses this year to compete with Memphis. It maybe a good thing that casual fans not show up to see a possible drubbing of our beloved Trojans.

You make a good point. If we played a crappy schedule and were 8-1 we could promote this game much better. Most people in Little Rock don't know the difference between Missouri State or Missouri Southern, Creighton or Crichton College. The "don't have the horses" argument may also be playing a factor.
12-10-2009 08:24 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2009 08:24 PM)mjs Wrote:  

You make a good point. If we played a crappy schedule and were 8-1 we could promote this game much better. Most people in Little Rock don't know the difference between Missouri State or Missouri Southern, Creighton or Crichton College. The "don't have the horses" argument may also be playing a factor.

Yeah, but YOU know the difference between Missouri State and Missouri Southern, etc. How pleased would YOU be, a guy who wants to attend almost all the games, with those teams on the schedule? Trust me MJS, YOU are much more valuable to this program than the casual fan who might want to show up for a game once in a while when some supposed "marquee" name might be in town. If we had last year's squad playing this game, I think we would have a reasonable chance. And who knows, weirder things have happened in college basketball.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2009 10:10 PM by PTJR.)
12-10-2009 10:08 PM
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2009 10:08 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

Yeah, but YOU know the difference between Missouri State and Missouri Southern, etc. How pleased would YOU be, a guy who wants to attend almost all the games, with those teams on the schedule? Trust me MJS, YOU are much more valuable to this program than the casual fan who might want to show up for a game once in a while when some supposed "marquee" name might be in town. If we had last year's squad playing this game, I think we would have a reasonable chance. And who knows, weirder things have happened in college basketball.

I guess we should just enjoy the fact that a major player in college basketball will be coming here to play. I think last year's team would matchup quite well with this year's Memphis team. This year's team- not so much. But like you said, a lot weirder things have happened in college basketball.
12-10-2009 10:30 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2009 10:30 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(12-10-2009 10:08 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

I guess we should just enjoy the fact that a major player in college basketball will be coming here to play. I think last year's team would matchup quite well with this year's Memphis team. This year's team- not so much. But like you said, a lot weirder things have happened in college basketball.

Have fun and be happy on Saturday and just enjoy being back at our old digs and watching without a doubt quality Division I basketball in our home town! Go Trojans!
12-10-2009 11:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.