Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One thing our coaches need to teach our
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
One thing our coaches need to teach our
players, especially our inside players, is to use the glass on layups. Alex made a great steal, took it to the glass, and instead of laying it off the backboard tried to shoot it without doing that, and missed a simple shot.
Courtney did the same thing on a great feed by Lionel, which should have resulted in another assist. It's such an elementry fundamental of basketball that any player who has reached the D1 level should know that it's the safest way to make a layup, short of dunking, and even that doesn't work all the time.04-cheers
12-01-2009 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
RE: One thing our coaches need to teach our
Courtney made the same mistake in the Cal Poly game, as you recall. Great feed, great drive, and then couldn't decide what to do with it once he was there, and missed in embarrassing fashion.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2009 08:36 PM by eh9198.)
12-01-2009 08:36 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(12-01-2009 08:00 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  players, especially our inside players, is to use the glass on layups. Alex made a great steal, took it to the glass, and instead of laying it off the backboard tried to shoot it without doing that, and missed a simple shot.
Courtney did the same thing on a great feed by Lionel, which should have resulted in another assist. It's such an elementry fundamental of basketball that any player who has reached the D1 level should know that it's the safest way to make a layup, short of dunking, and even that doesn't work all the time.04-cheers

I guarantee you that everyone of these players have been taught this since junior high. They've all heard a thousand times what that white square on the backboard is there for. Just like trying to teach a kid that gets the rebound in the paint, not to bounce the ball one time before he shoots. They've all been taught that too. These things are something that's seemingly easy to teach, but hard for a lot of players to comprehend.
12-01-2009 09:37 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Fundamentals went out when Michael Jordan came in.
12-02-2009 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
(12-02-2009 07:57 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Fundamentals went out when Michael Jordan came in.

LOL
12-02-2009 08:11 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Laugh if you will, but you think of all the aspects of basic fundamentals that you rarely see today that all just happened to disappear about that time. Everyone wants to be spectacular. 3-pointers and dunks are all that matter.
12-02-2009 08:13 AM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
I prefer to think that the game got better.
12-02-2009 08:37 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(12-02-2009 08:37 AM)Scotto Wrote:  I prefer to think that the game got better.

I became more exciting, but I'm not sure fundamentally better. And I think the change happened before Michael Jordan. I think Dr. J. (the other one) was really the first big time player to play above the rim all the time. Of course Wilt Chamberlain also did, but he was 7 foot something. But the flying through the air dunking, I believe was first popularized by the good Doctor. I have nothing against dunking a ball, but neither Alex, Courtney or Wayne dunked. They tried to lay it in softly over the rim. If you're not going to use the backboard, and are able to dunk it, then slam it down with authority. Don't wussy it up there like we sometimes seem to do. I'll bet Coach Kleine threw it down with authority when he had the opportunity.04-cheers
12-02-2009 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.